Sign in to follow this  
Chris_xitsas

Omega Ceramic Planet Ocean (CrPO) and Planet Ocean GMT

Chris_xitsas

Calling all Omega aficionados

I have been doing my homework on my next purchase - a new ceramic planet ocean 45m (CrPo) or the planet ocean GMT.

From what I understand, there are now CrPo versions by both the BP factory and the Noob factory...the BP CrPo was the first one out and suffered from fading bezel for some time, though the latest batches have this issue fixed. Noob brought the CrPo to market quite some time later, with what many believed to be a superior product. There is already a fantastic review between the two factories' versions - http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/69284-Review-&-Comparison---A-Tale-of-Two-Planets:-The-Omega-CrPO-42mm 

My first question is to anyone who may have had a newer batch of the BP CrPo - how good are they? Is Noob's still considered better? The reason I'm asking is because Joshua at PerfectClones has suggested to me the BP versions are better and that Noob made their version by copying BP's and "how can a rep of a rep be any good" (his words)? Your thoughts are welcome

Second question is concerning the GMT PO. I understand this is only made by BP maker, so I'd assume it's of similar quality to their CrPo...but can anyone confirm how accurate this rep is? I haven't found a quality review of this rep yet, so please do let me know if you have. Also, do we know if Noob is planning to release a GMT? 

Ideally I'd love to get the GMT version, but if the Noob CrPo blows that out the water (comparatively) I'd change my mind...again, any helpful comments welcome!

Thanks as always

C

ashtree

My first question is to anyone who may have had a newer batch of the BP CrPo - how good are they? Is Noob's still considered better? The reason I'm asking is because Joshua at PerfectClones has suggested to me the BP versions are better and that Noob made their version by copying BP's and "how can a rep of a rep be any good" (his words)? Your thoughts are welcome

HAHA WOW. Yes go with the Noob version. Noob's line of POs have been outstanding, most notably the pearl, which was by far the biggest tell on any Omega diver. It's quite surprising seeing a TD criticize such a perfect rep. I think the bracelet engraving is higher quality on the Noob, but that might just be me.

The GMT PO's biggest tell is by far the bezel, the numbers are poorly positioned and formed. Not a terrible rep by any means, but the bezel is pretty sloppy. Not on the same level as the Noob offering.

From what I've seen of the Noob CrPO though, some people have complained that the lume on the pearl sometimes is over-applied and spills over. Probably not a very common issue but it's something to look out for in QC

Chris_xitsas

Thanks, that's some really insightful comments, particularly about the GMT.

Anyone else got more to add?

captaincaveman

Josh and Andrew both have it out for noob for whatever reason. Their advice on these matters is to be taken w/ a huge grain of salt. I prefer Ryan myself.

Chris_xitsas

Interesting, I do recall someone saying Josh has a better relationship with the BP factory...sorry, but who is Ryan?!

Wester_Special

The GMT PO's biggest tell is by far the bezel, the numbers are poorly positioned and formed. Not a terrible rep by any means, but the bezel is pretty sloppy. Not on the same level as the Noob offering.

I have ordered them both and will do a review of them. But the numbering on the GMT bezel is not that bad. Only if you know about it you will notice.

On the wrist no one will notice it though.

For the record, i ordered the new Noob CRPO and the BP GMT.

Edited by Wester_Special

greg_r

I have the BP version (bought just before the noob version came out) and it's a very good watch, but the noob would be my choice if I was buying now.

Wester_Special

sorry, but who is Ryan?!

Ryan is not a TD on this site.

Technojunkie

But the numbering on the GMT bezel is not that bad. Only if you know about it you will notice.

I'd certainly notice it, every time I checked my wrist !

I have the BP version (bought just before the noob version came out) and it's a very good watch, but the noob would be my choice if I was buying now.

CrPo or GMT ?

I'm in a dilemna. I ordered the blue/orange GMT from a TD early last week before knowing anything about the flaw/problem with the misaligned numbers on bezel. I have now been sent QC pics and the watch has the misaligned bezel which, because I now know about the problem, I noticed immediately. I even sent the QC pics to a " watch collector" friend but told him nothing about the flaw and he also noticed it almost immediately. I have therefore advised the TD that I am not happy with the QC pics because of the misaligned bezel numbers and they have "gone quiet" on me. Personally, I am not happy spending $300++ on a watch with a flaw that I will notice every time I looked at the watch.

Chris_xitsas

I have ordered them both and will do a review of them. But the numbering on the GMT bezel is not that bad. Only if you know about it you will notice.

For the record, i ordered the new Noob CRPO and the BP GMT.

I'd be very interested in your review once you have received both. I didn't realise the BP GMT had such issues with the bezel...sounds like a big put off!

Chris_xitsas

But the numbering on the GMT bezel is not that bad. Only if you know about it you will notice.

I'd certainly notice it, every time I checked my wrist !

CrPo or GMT ?

I'm in a dilemna. I ordered the blue/orange GMT from a TD early last week before knowing anything about the flaw/problem with the misaligned numbers on bezel. I have now been sent QC pics and the watch has the misaligned bezel which, because I now know about the problem, I noticed immediately. I even sent the QC pics to a " watch collector" friend but told him nothing about the flaw and he also noticed it almost immediately. I have therefore advised the TD that I am not happy with the QC pics because of the misaligned bezel numbers and they have "gone quiet" on me. Personally, I am not happy spending $300++ on a watch with a flaw that I will notice every time I looked at the watch.

Very interesting...any chance you can send me those QC pics by PM so I can check out how bad the bezel is?

Thanks

Kemist

Sorry this might sounds noob but where can i get the noob version at the moment? I've tried a few of our trust dealers and couldn't seem to find the Noob's. Most of them don't even say where it came from.

cheers,

thorny007

I think MR can get it

LeandroBR

I believe Toro can source it too. ;)

Bigcountrykris

Avoid the GMT for now, the numbers are poor on the bezel & the pearl can be hit & miss, if going for a crpo then i would defo go for the noob version but in 42mm rather than 45mm, i myself prefer omega PO's with closed caseback as the movement looks nothing like the gen, but thats just my OCD, go for the noob 100%

Chris_xitsas

How comes you suggest the 42mm over the 45mm? Also, does anyone know which ranks higher - the LmPo (closed back) or the CrPo??

Technojunkie

How comes you suggest the 42mm over the 45mm? Also, does anyone know which ranks higher - the LmPo (closed back) or the CrPo??

I've had both the LMPO and CrPO. I prefer the closed back of the LMPO but, as a watch, the CrPO !

Bigcountrykris

LMPO for me mate, but both nice watches

Mcloughlind

There are issues with the bezel on the GMT but, as far as I am aware, these are on the blue and orange 'goodplanet' version. I have a GMT and I have to say that the quality is excellent. The case, the dial and the bracelet are accurate. Mine keeps fantastic time and the GMT hand works as it should. As I have said in another post before my only gripe is the position of the bezel pearl. I am sure that if we want accurate reps, at some point we as consumers have to say "Sorry, no! The position of the pearl is unacceptable, I don't want it!" I think noob products seem to have this right and BP need to catch up. I have a 45 PO in customs at the moment and hope the quality is as good as my GMT.

Will post some rubbish pics in my own inimitable style on its arrival! ;-)

jdc2jzgte

Can anyone who has a PO GMT please post where you got it from and if there are any issues. I recently got a GMT and the numbers on the diver bezel area rub off with just a fingernail. Anyone else have this problem?

Bigcountrykris

Which version did you get, any takes

Bigcountrykris

Which version did you get, any pics

jdc2jzgte

How do you know the bezel isn't ceramic?

Is there a company that makes a good GMT bezel?

Could I use a genuine part?