Sign in to follow this  
Aren

Telsers ...Vintage Gen.

Aren

This is my (new to me) vintage genuine Telsers Incobloc Antimagnetic Watch.

If you haven't heard of it...well you are not alone...neither had I.

This is a men's mechanical/hand wind dress watch.

Vintage between 1920 and 1970

T.K. Co Made in France with a Swiss movement for the Louis Watch Company NYC

Classic Black Dial with Gold coloured Spearhead Markers with Arabic numbers at 3,6,9 and 12.

TelsersWatch_zps5149422b.jpg

Spearhead gold colored Hour and Minute Hands,with Gold Second hand. 30mm diameter without the Crown. It is a nice size and typical size for an gents vintage dress watches (Pateks are actually this size)...but I wish it was slightly larger.

Crystal is domed and looks good, but has some very light scuffing at the 4 position,

Stainless Steel Screw Case Back with Serial No 53618 and claims to be waterproof. :)

Telsersmovement_zps01591716.jpg

I like the Swiss Incabloc Antimagnetic Movement 17 Jewel movement, FXW (Louis) on the Balance Bridge

Ref: http://mb.nawcc.org/...hp/t-33786.html (Codes for Swiss movements)

Seller stated this was an early model, but I would date this watch in the 1940's - 1950's and Etsy auctions has LWC watches listed in that date range. Additionally, the Swiss Incabloc shock protection system wasn't invented until 1934, so the watch is newer than that. :)

Ref: http://en.wikipedia....otection_system

Not alot of info at the NAWCC.com

It seems LWC may have just assembled watches In NYC to avoid US import duties.

The case is Made in France and the movement is Swiss.

This watch is keeping perfect time and will run for 36+ hours on full winding. :)

Any comments or additional info is appreciated.

Thanks for looking!

fatarms

Very cool pickup, Aren. Congrats :D

Aren

Thank you fatarms. I wish I had better photos.

The watch looks much nicer than the photos, especially considering it's age.

:)

Wriggles

Very nice Aren, numerals are very Glashutte-esque. Vintage style is a bit small for my tastes but very elegant all the same

Aren

Very nice Aren, numerals are very Glashutte-esque. Vintage style is a bit small for my tastes but very elegant all the same

Thank you. I agree and wish it was a bit larger, even though I have a small wrist.

The good thing is I can see the dial to tell the time. It is very easy to read even with the black dial.

When I get a new strap, I will try to post a wristie.

:D

Kcore

A beauty Aren, CONGRATS!!! Wear it only in health.

As a person who enjoys vintage watches, your Telser, Louis Watch Company watch is very interesting, a bit of an enigma. I hope some of this is of interest.

Early trade records indicate that Louis Watch Co had a botique on 5th Ave in NYC where they sold watches and downtown NYC location where they assembled them. The Telser model name is the real mystery!

I've provided 2 pics below. One for a watch that was for sale within a "Louis Watch" case. The other pic is from a 1922 trade paper advertisement that gives credence to the company assemblng watches in downtown NYC.

I also found a lawsuit for trademark infringment against the Louis Watch Company but no decision was rendered. The action titles below is for a motion to move venue to NYC from update NY, Sullivan Co.

Benjamin Hammerman et al., Copartners Doing Business as Hammerman Bros., Respondents,

v.

Louis Watch Co., Inc., Appellant.

Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Third Department, New York

December 30, 1958

LouisWatchCoAd1922_zpscc5601aa.jpg

Louiswatch_zps4631e784.jpg

powderfreak

That's a very nice dresswatch. I just bought my first vintage from ebay, will see how I like it.

30mm is indeed pretty small, do you have a wristshot by any chance?

gB.

Very cool. Love the dial design.

Aren

A beauty Aren, CONGRATS!!! Wear it only in health.

As a person who enjoys vintage watches, your Telser, Louis Watch Company watch is very interesting, a bit of an enigma. I hope some of this is of interest.

Early trade records indicate that Louis Watch Co had a botique on 5th Ave in NYC where they sold watches and downtown NYC location where they assembled them. The Telser model name is the real mystery!

I've provided 2 pics below. One for a watch that was for sale within a "Louis Watch" case. The other pic is from a 1922 trade paper advertisement that gives credence to the company assemblng watches in downtown NYC.

I also found a lawsuit for trademark infringment against the Louis Watch Company but no decision was rendered. The action titles below is for a motion to move venue to NYC from update NY, Sullivan Co.

Benjamin Hammerman et al., Copartners Doing Business as Hammerman Bros., Respondents,

v.

Louis Watch Co., Inc., Appellant.

Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Third Department, New York

December 30, 1958

LouisWatchCoAd1922_zpscc5601aa.jpg

Louiswatch_zps4631e784.jpg

I did see some of these, so thank you for posting and for your thoughtful interest Kcore.

I had not seen the advert.

The watch is extremely smooth running and I agree with Imibcn that the dial looks Glashutte-esque. :)

OldBloke here has an avi that reminds me of this watch.

In the past while, I buy vintage and antique pocket watches since they are easy to see and I can actually work on them.

Still learning, but the process is slow (at least for me)

One of my PWs is in the following thread, with many other truly incredible watches...

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...l=&fromsearch=1

If have a PW, I hope you will consider sharing it with us in that thread.

The PWs can keep me pretty busy, studying and learning about them, but when I saw this Telser, I liked it and bought it.

The Swiss movement is very nice IMHO and I appreciate being able to read the dial.

The 1922 advert lists the factory location in Switzerland, so I will be looking at up for more information.

Cortland is upstate NY near Syracuse.

The worst motel I have ever spent the night in is located in Cortland. :lol: Funny now...not then.

Thank you for your interest gents and for your kindly thoughts and helpful posts.

:wub:

I will take a few wristies as soon as I can obtain a new strap.

I don't have a strap this small. :lol:

Kcore

Great - looking forward to seeing a wristie!

For the time period, 30mm is pretty standard. Most men's wrist watches of the the 40s - 60s had case diameters the size of a quarter or a bit less without the crown, while womens' wer smaller. The Borel I bought for my wife measures approx. 25mm w/o crown.

Aren, when I came across the lawsuit for change of venue and it discussed trademark issues, I did a trademark search for name & mark design at the Patent & Trademark office but didn't find anything.

baxter

Lovely watch Aren ...... the number style reminds me of Glashutte which i like very much

greg_r

Oh that's lovely... thumbsup2:

Robin195959

Hi Aren,

Loving this little piece. Agree with the Glashutte comments. I have a couple of vintage(60's) Glashutte, I'll post pics later.

Robin

Robin195959

Here's my Glashutte oldies as promised.

610AA550-12AC-4C51-AF88-5E7EA84F80FE_zps7vw8dszm.jpg

06BAA279-AE7A-4D26-BA92-78AFA9757CFD_zpszirmok7w.jpg

nev848

Hi Robin. That's a pair of beauties. Must bring them in to show me.

Aren

Here's my Glashutte oldies as promised.

610AA550-12AC-4C51-AF88-5E7EA84F80FE_zps7vw8dszm.jpg

06BAA279-AE7A-4D26-BA92-78AFA9757CFD_zpszirmok7w.jpg

Wow Robin...lovely watches. Thanks for sharing.

I love the vintage watches. Even though they are vintage there is something timeless about them (no pun intended)

That's a very nice dresswatch. I just bought my first vintage from ebay, will see how I like it.

30mm is indeed pretty small, do you have a wristshot by any chance?

Congrats PF and I hope you post your watch in the gens section when it arrives. Yes 30mm is small by today's standards. Mine is 32mm including the crown.

Thank you for all of the nice comments gents. I didn't know there were responses here.

I am still waiting for a strap before I can post a wristie, but plan to post more Pocket watches in Robin's thread asap.

:D

Frazzle

I love it! I think I love the movement even more than the dial :)

Aren

I love it! I think I love the movement even more than the dial :)

Thank you Frazzle. I love the movement.

It practically purrrrrs. The Swiss make such great movements. A simple cleaning and service and they seem to last forever if they don't get dropped or abused.

Even the antique and vintage Swiss watch movements are just amazing. Such fine craftsmanship :wub:

I have had the good fortune to have many Swiss movements and they are fantastic and....ageless in quality if maintained IMHO.

Thanks again!

:)

Robin195959
'as the actress said to the bishop'

Will do buddy.

Aren

Said the groom to the bride !

Robin195959

As the man in the orthopedic shoes said:

" I stand corrected" :-)

Robin

Aren

Robin

:rofl:

Robin195959

Robin

:rofl:

Just showed Nev one of the beauties today. Didn't want him getting overexcited!! I'll show him the other tomorrow.

Aren

Just showed Nev one of the beauties today. Didn't want him getting overexcited!! I'll show him the other tomorrow.

:hehehe: well, there is a secret I found to looking for vintage men's gen. watches. I will share it here.

Many of you probably already know this, but I didn't. The dial sizes are very small...many are 30mm.

My rep Pateks are all about 40mm.

I didn't realize men's vintage watches were sooooo small. I have seen lots of smaller men's gen. watches and never paid attention to them.

Unlike the past few years when now look at any watch a gent wears.

Because of this, when I search for a vintage men's watch, I search "ladies watches".

Now, with a new perspective, many I see are obviously men's watches, but true to size for their era.

I don't know if sellers just look at watches and see "small" and call them "ladies" or they knowingly list men's watches as "ladies" because they don't think gents will buy smaller watches. I think it is the latter.

I don't think ebay sellers of estate items necessarily know when they are looking at a men's watch.

I have found some surprising vintage men's watches by looking at what are listed as "ladies" watches.

With new insight, vintage men's watches are usually obvious to me from the strap. Vintage ladies watches don't have a wide strap and more often than not, don't have a leather strap. They have small bracelet bezels on either side of the dial bezel to attach to a metal bracelet or at most a very tiny strap.

I learned about vintage sizes from the Patek and now use the 30mm size as a gauge in looking for men's vintage watches.

So, if you are interested in looking for a vintage men's watch...look at listings for "ladies watches"

You won't find a Patek because people search that by name, not gender.

You will definitely need to scroll through tonnes of undesirable or truly hideous ladies watches.

Still, you could end up finding a really fantastic vintage men's gen. watch of high quality with Swiss movement for very little money.

:giggle:

Robin195959

Good tip Aren thanks.

The second beauty (Glashutte) I'm showing Nev tomorrow is only 32-33 mm.