Sign in to follow this  
Wolf359

Newbie Conundrum- Doesn't everyone know I'm too broke for a real Rolex?

KarmaToBurn

2 things. First don't give a shit what anyone thinks. Second, don't pretend its real. People can assume what they like, but a direct question gets an honest answer. Just my 2 cents.

That's my approach.

I like my casual clothes but also have no problem throwing on a PP Nautilus or a Franck Muller. Just wear what you like and forget about everyone else.

Callumz

Outside of rolex, breitling and tag - nobody will even know the brand unless they are into watches (which is a small percentage of the population).

The average joe will not have heard of other brands and will be none the wiser that your watch is a copy of an expensive watch.

Personally I wear whatever I feel like and if anyone comments on it Ill happily tell them its a replica.

Couple of guys in my uni course have gen subs and they were amazed when they seen a couple of reps.

For me personally i get enjoyment out of the art that has went into making something close to the original for a fraction of the cost!

JasperB

Something not quite ringing true about the OP's question i fear.

nigeve

You can buy a decent Omega Man on the Moon watch for £2000 and a 1980's Rolex Datejust for around £1750 (with replacement leather strap). You'll then have a reasonably balanced (Chronograph and Dress watch) collection that is unlikely to depreciate any further. Save a little more and you'll be looking at a decent Rolex Explorer 2 (Arctic face) starting at £3000.

A Collection of genuine watches isn't out of the realms of possibility if you want it enough and are prepared to make the sacrifices.

I personally feel that a genuine luxury watch is worth the sacrifice and strife that's needed to own it. It makes the watch all the more special to you. But this assumes you can understand and appreciate the mechanical elegance of genuine luxury watches.

That said a reasonable amount of horological skill can go into a quality replica.

fetasigma

i have both gen and reps, i never try to fool anybody on the reps but i collect watches becuase i love them......realistically...nothing is out of the relm of possibility if you want to save up for it

Vetnek

The reason I bought a rep is because I'm curious how people around me will react. I really want a real GMT but if people are going to judge me on my watch instead of who I am I will eventually stop wearing my rep aswell. And definately not going to buy a real GMT.

For instance, I was a car salesman (traineeship during my study). I sold Renaults.. One day a customer came in and bougth a Laguna Coupe for 59.000.. He said, if I'm going to a customer and they see the Renault logo, they don't think it was 59k. But when I arrive in a standard BMW 3 series of 20K they only see the logo on the bonnet.

People only judge you on what they see first...

Kleen™

People only judge you on what they see first...

If that is the rationale that will lead you to buying a french car, then...gotta tell ya, dude....the magnitude of your problems have not even begun to dawn on you...

Vetnek

personally I don't give a shit what others think.. But it's typical Dutch to judge people on looks and brands they wear.

Myself I'm driving a Smart Fortwo from 2009

Kleen™
personally I don't give a shit what others think.. But it's typical Dutch to judge people on looks and brands they wear.

Myself I'm driving a Smart Fortwo from 2009

Fair enough. So you are publically admitting that you've given up...;-)

Vetnek

Hahaha! I'm saving money for a faster car so that's the main reason xd

Cellsius

Yeah. I would not sweat what people think. They will form their own opinion anyway. I will tell them my Armitron is a rep. Who cares!?!

Kleen™

- doesn't sound like a goal that would require much saving up...:-P

Vetnek

... Há, and I'm not talking about a lawn mower.

Kleen™
... Há, and I'm not talking about a lawn mower.

Obviously not, as you have already admitted to currently be driving one of those...

Vetnek

Hahahaha xD

Wolf359

I personally preferred to buy reps in line with what I'd more than likely be able to buy were they genuine, just a shit load of them, but to each their own

I think this is sage advice. I will buy reps I could afford but will buy 10 or so watches.... except for Franck Müllers King Conquistador. That watch is just too :chewbacca: to pass up regardless.

Edited by Limp Wrist :(

black263

You want a faster car?. Press the right foot harder.

Hyjynx
Don't get a Rolex. Go for another brand. There are some very nice "non-Rolex" watches, and you will not have the Rolex reputation to deal with. Rolex watches are a very small percenatge of my collection. For the same reason, I don't drive a Mercedes.

Ummm.... I don't follow your Rolex/Mercedes logic. Are you suggesting there are fake Mercedes vehicles, so people generally assume that when they see one drive up?

Hyjynx
Something not quite ringing true about the OP's question i fear.

Ditto

The question is a "red meat" that gets thrown into the forum every so often, and expectedly, the OPs retreat to watch and enjoy our feeding frenzy.