Sign in to follow this  
Wolf359

Newbie Conundrum- Doesn't everyone know I'm too broke for a real Rolex?

Wolf359

Hello All,

Good to meet everyone here. Well, I drive a new Kia Optima. I have a nice paying job. I rent a nice townhouse. I have handsome dimples.

HOWEVER,

All my family and friends know damn well I cant afford a real Rolex or Breitling, at least not responsibly.

How do fans of rep Submariners and other watches that have a gen list price of 15, 20, 30000 plus handle the financial expectations that come along with great looking reps? Unless your are very wealthy cheap bastards, doesn't everyone know you are wearing faux watches? Do you just not care what people think? Do you feel strange wearing a watch that looks like a 20,000 watch, then driving away in a non teutonic automobile? Do you wear these watches on a first date, only to leave a financial impression on a woman that may not be true?

Does anyone only order reps of a model that they could easily afford at an AD to avoid looking like they are either spending well beyond their means, or simply MUST be wearing a replica watch?

This inquiring mind wants to know :woo:

Edited by Limp Wrist :(

Libertatia

Me personally only wear reps of gens I could afford, a lot of people don't give a shit though and wear anything which I respect.

elp

Act the part, and wear it with confidence - before you know it, you'll be heading your own multinational, having the trophy wife, 3.4 kids and the labrador. You can thank us later.

Frankt8242

Why should a well rounded fellow like yourself give a shit about anybodys opinion of you, that they might conjure by evaluating your choice in a watch...???

Chiruku

Welcome! The easy answer is you are over-thinking it mate, if you can simply not care what other people say if you tell them you have a rep on your wrist then thats the way to go. There are great reps on here that sell for around the 4-5k mark as gens, which if you are worried about that sort of thing you can start with. However if you are heading down the route of telling people they are gens when they aren't... thats a whole other ball game.

Aren

Hello All,

Good to meet everyone here. Well, I drive a new Kia Optima. I have a nice paying job. I rent a nice townhouse. I have handsome dimples.

HOWEVER,

All my family and friends know damn well I cant afford a real Rolex or Breitling, at least not responsibly.

How do fans of rep Submariners and other watches that have a gen list price of 15, 20, 30000 plus handle the financial expectations that come along with great looking reps? Unless your are very wealthy cheap bastards, doesn't everyone know you are wearing faux watches? Do you just not care what people think? Do you feel strange wearing a watch that looks like a 20,000 watch, then driving away in a non teutonic automobile? Do you wear these watches on a first date, only to leave a financial impression on a woman that may not be true?

Does anyone only order reps of a model that they could easily afford at an AD to avoid looking like they are either spending well beyond their means, or simply MUST be wearing a replica watch?

This inquiring mind wants to know :woo:

Welcome to RWG!

People don't ask me. Most people don't know or care, and if they did, I have no trouble being honest.

I tell others my watches are reps.

My son tells anyone who asks that his watch is a rep...problem is...no one believes him. :lol:

Happy collecting!

plankton

no one will care, wear what you enjoy. You will be able to afford a gen at some time but now your to smart to blow the case like some of us did.

stupotseventyeight

2 things. First don't give a shit what anyone thinks. Second, don't pretend its real. People can assume what they like, but a direct question gets an honest answer. Just my 2 cents.

Wolf359

Why should a well rounded fellow like yourself give a shit about anybodys opinion of you, that they might conjure by evaluating your choice in a watch...???

Honestly, everyone cares what other people think about them to some extent. Somebody on here has to have a story about creating false expectations by wearing a 30,000 watch. It has to have happened to some people on RWG, and I'm curious to know how they handled it.

Left Coast Guy

A derivative of this question has been asked and answered in the past many times.

What you can expect to hear is that lots of folks collect them as reps and don't care that they're not real -- those folks will readily admit its a copy and don't try to pass them off as real. In fact, some of those folks get offended that you'd suggest they would try to pass them off as real -- its not safe to assume everyone collects for the same reason you do. It really is different for everyone and thats ok.

Personally, I don't like to buy watches where the gen is worth over $10K because I don't want someone to assume the watch is real and think that I'd spend that much on a watch. Not that I knock others who do, just a personal thing given my line of work.

If you're concerned about that kind of thing, I'd look at watches in the lower end of the gen market price range. Breitling, Omega, and Sinn have some great watches that retail in the $1,800 -- $4,500 range and wouldn't be that out of line for a working man.

Edited by Afdaddy

Kleen™

In short: there are way too many facets to your doubts to be able to pull this off. I sincerely suggest you buy a nice Seiko (or similar) instead. Being into reps is a passion - not a lie...

James.

Wear whatever you want, fuck the opinions of others.

However, that's not to say one should imply or mislead others to say their rep is the real deal.

That issue comes up a lot rarer than most people think, though, especially new members. People are more likely to say "nice watch" than "nice watch, where did you get it? How much was it? Is it real?"

I personally preferred to buy reps in line with what I'd more than likely be able to buy were they genuine, just a shit load of them, but to each their own

Wolf359

A derivative of this question has been asked and answered in the past many times.

What you can expect to hear is that lots of folks collect them as reps and don't care that they're not real -- those folks will readily admit its a copy and don't try to pass them off as real. In fact, some of those folks get offended that you'd suggest they would try to pass them off as real -- its not safe to assume everyone collects for the same reason you do. It really is different for everyone and thats ok.

Personally, I don't like to buy watches where the gen is worth over $10K because I don't someone to assume the watch is real and think that I'd spend that much on a watch.

If you're concerned about that kind of thing, I'd look at watches in the lower end of the gen market price range. Breitling, Omega, and Sinn have some great watches that retail in the $1,800 -- $4,500 range and wouldn't be that out of line for a working man.

Hmm I never considered some of the points you make. Looking at the responses so far, I wonder if the forum may be bifurcated to some degree to a minor degree..one camp who only buys reps they can afford at an AD and those that flat out do not care either way.

RichardMiami

Honestly, everyone cares what other people think about them to some extent.

Wrong. Do not presume to speak for "everyone."

In fact, very few on here give a crap what others think. We are not built around status, and we do not feed off the admiration and jealousy other people may have for material things.

I myself am a Zen Buddhist. I wear expensive Pateks and Breguets under my orange robes, and if anyone happens to see it and make a comment, I turn my back on them, lift my robe, and tell them they can kiss my karmic butt.

But then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

That's just me. :)

Daywatch

You have a new Kia Optima because You wanted the Rolex first, otherwise no watch but a used BMW....:)

Mystery Shopper

Hello & welcome.

1. normally only people who are into watches will notice unless you wave it in their face.
  2. most know only Rolex as a luxury brand- just pick another.

Have a look around and buy it for yourself.

Calcidose

Hello, don't care about what people think and you should buy a Panerai for example, most of the time, people don't know this brand.

kucingarab

i have my own problem. I told everyone that my rolex is fake, but no one believes me... and in the end they always ask me to pay their drinks

Calcidose

You friends are weird !!!

simonbolivar

Throw some BMW badges on the Kia, and you will be all set

roy8846

I have average income but have AP RB II and Hublot Big Bang rep's.

As said wear them with confidence, show them off. It helps if you dress accordingly.

And those that will notice and judge you.... F them!!

dave1978

think in the real world nobody knows what an ap or a hublot is.

most ppl assume real rolex's are fake so might aswell by the rep anyhoo.

garbear99

Don't get a Rolex. Go for another brand. There are some very nice "non-Rolex" watches, and you will not have the Rolex reputation to deal with. Rolex watches are a very small percenatge of my collection. For the same reason, I don't drive a Mercedes.

black263

As far as most people you will meet are concerned there are only two categories of watch.

1. Fake Rolex

2. Everything else.

If you buy a Rolex,particularly the sub, it doesn't matter what you paid, first reaction will be "Ah Rolex. Fake is it."