Sign in to follow this  
Kcore

NATO Help?

Kcore

NATO noob here :)

I'm considering. a leather NATO for my newly purchased Steinhart Ocean 1 Vintage but know nothing about sizes? Every NATO I look at gives what looks to be a " total" length measurement? I'm very comfortable with 125/75 or 125/80 size straps. I don't like a lot of tail after my keepers. My wrist is approx. 6.5"

Can I please get some education and suggestions from the NATO gurus!

Thx!

Wriggles

Havent got one but been looking at various different places to source some for my new Seagull.

I think the idea is that whatever tail you have left wraps back into the keepers, so I'm guessing they're all roughly same length. Could get bulky though if they are very long.

Check out the info here

http://www.natozulu.com/content/9-nato-strap-instructions

and a good video here of how to cut off excess if they really are too long

http://www.cheapestnatostraps.com/pages/about-us

trailboss99

Mate if you are getting one for the Sea-Gull make sure it's very thin! I tried a thick nylon NATO to replace the one that came with mine and even that looked silly on what is a small watch.

J!m

Yeah, they always run long as they were designed to be able to be used over the cuff of the uniform, or even jacket. Also useful for diving over a wet suit.

Chiruku

Ive had a couple from these guys - http://natostrapsco.com - and been really happy with them.

(Leather options - http://natostrapsco....her-natos-zulus)

They seem to only have products measured in lug width though - guessing other suppliers go into more detail so not sure if this will help.

Quality is great though:

photo_zpse95aa159.jpg

Edited by Chiruku

aprell

Strap wraps back into the keepers

122aa819bfea.jpg

Kcore

Thank you everyone!

After reading your feedback and reviewing the websites you so kindly directed me to and browsing countless pics of NATOS in action, along with my dislike of extra tail ( That's STRAP TAIL for all you wise guys & characters :) ) I'm certain that a NATO isn't for me.

Thanks again!

Kleen™
Thank you everyone!

After reading your feedback and reviewing the websites you so kindly directed me to and browsing countless pics of NATOS in action, along with my dislike of extra tail ( That's STRAP TAIL for all you wise guys & characters :) ) I'm certain that a NATO isn't for me.

Thanks again!

They're extremely easy to shorten, yo' know: Just mark the circumference of a coin and cut to the desired length...

Kcore
Thank you everyone!

Thanks again!

They're extremely easy to shorten, yo' know: Just mark the circumference of a coin and cut to the desired length...

i guess that's a "Kleen" cut :lmao:

seriously, thanks!

Mazz

seriously take a coin and hold it in place with a clamp or pliers then trim the end with a sharp scissor then melt the ends with a lighter

I wear a lot of NATO straps and you dont notice the tail when you fold it back down through the loops

Kleen™
seriously take a coin and hold it in place with a clamp or pliers then trim the end with a sharp scissor then melt the ends with a lighter

I wear a lot of NATO straps and you dont notice the tail when you fold it back down through the loops

Good point - forgot to mention the bit involving LIVE FIRE to seal the end...

Kcore

Thanks - can't hurt to look at some more pics, especially on the wrist.

Good point - forgot to mention the bit involving LIVE FIRE to seal the end...

You both are talking about nylon straps?

Kleen™

Yes - only on the nylon types.

With leather Natos use charcoal instead and roast to a medium-rare or well-done preference...

Mystery Shopper

NATO Help

Sorry mate, they are heading for the Crimea as we speak.

Kcore

NATO Help

Sorry mate, they are heading for the Crimea as we speak.

LOL - ;-)

sungod

NATO straps kick ass!!!

ypuna9y9.jpg

NATO straps kick ass!!!

amemagy2.jpg