Sign in to follow this  
ShadyManc

Vintage PAM Bug .....

ShadyManc

Has well and truly bitten.

So I purchased a 4-Liner 6152 from M2M here about six months ago, followed by a Black Shark 6154 build last month, and I have to say I love gens, I love reps but I'm really keen to start my own vintage builds, eventually moving to my grail watch which will be a 4-Liner 6152 1 Angelus, if I can find a stem-wound movement in a charity shop as the prices are high, part of the fun would be the treasure hunting.

As I'm fairly new to the vintage game I'm after some essential reading before embarking on the journey, any books that are essential to the craft and the like, particularly PAMs. I've recently joined the Homage Forum and have done the usual research there, I've searched here and over at RWI. I'm also ogling the vintage PAMs at http://www.vintagepanerai.com for the finer details appropriate to the builds I'll look to create.

I've got the contacts for cases etc, movements are straight forward enough and I'll start with cheap ones where mistakes are less costly. I'll probably get an experienced watch-smith to build me my grail. I'd prefer it to be as good as it can be, rather than the attempt of a novice. Any tips you've acquired or would like to share would be highly appreciated. Do the vintage builders take on commissioned work, if so who's hot, who's not?

Any tips you've acquired or would like to share would be highly appreciated as I move from one watch addiction to the next.

Thanks in advance.

jimrogers

very nice

Bash64

Will be beautiful. Can't wait to see it.

blueradish

Definitely start off by tinkering on the less expensive watches, Jackson, Getat, etc. If you are going to commission a build then you only need to arm yourself with what you want, the builder will be able to ask the right questions and get info from you. If you are going to build yourself, then it is just practise.

I've built well over 100 customs for customers and more than that for myself. I have my beautiful 240 stem wound sitting in my tickle trunk waiting to be cased, but like you everything else has to be perfect. I have chosen to put it in an EGI, so I have sent off my CB to be machined with a wider display back and a custom plexi so as much of the movement can be seen. Keep in mind a stock stem wound 240 cannot be popped into a case. It still needs to be converted, I think they charge about $200 for that, I had mine done as a favour, so wasn't charged. You'll also need a custom movement ring, stem adaptor most likely to a 6497. Then there's the stem alignment within the case. Typically they don't sit perfect, so mods are required.

There are a few guys that will take this project, I steer clear of 240s for customers as they just take too long. Hamiltons, Molnija's and 6497's are typically what I use as platforms.

Hope that gets ya started, feel free to PM me with questions. I'm at HF as well.

Edited by blueradish

kiko1314

Haha, welcome to the game. I started off with a river case hornlug and then built a river case 6154 as well as a mille metri. I completely shifted my attention to vintage pam from modern pieces. I got much more comments with a vintage piece on the wrist and the high domed plexiglass is lovely to look at. Anyway, for a grail watch I would suggest start off by building a 3646 with cortebert movement. It is about $400+ for a clean one on the bay and it is easier to build with/service than the 240.