Sign in to follow this  
Ranki

SOH advice needed

Ranki

TD's have access to V1 SOH & I have these parts:

V2 Dial

V2 DW

Would these parts make that version a decent rep and cover most of its flaws?

greg_r

Okay, this is going to get confusing but bear with me.

Firstly, I think there's some version number confusion going on here. The v1 was discontinued a long time ago and was made by a different maker from the people who produced the v2. After the v2 was discontinued, the v1 maker got back into the game and produced a v1.5 (aka v3 - I told you this was confusing!). The latter was ALMOST as good as the v2 - the only issues were that the crown stands slightly too proud of the case and the lume dots were, in some instances, poorly placed. The latter was also a problem with the V2, the only difference being that the V2 dial had solid white dots under the lume where as the v1.5 / v3 had a white circle with a blue centre, making a poorly placed lume dot slightly more visible. This is, obviously, going to vary from sample to sample.

Having said the above, I own one of each and there is very little to choose between them - both are excellent reps.

The OTHER version of the SOH non-chrono that was available right through the above is the 21J version which is also sometimes referred to as a v1 (although it's a different case - in fact an entirely different watch). The later versions of the 21J have a more accurate dial, but the case is still fairly poor and overall it's not a great rep.

What you're going to need to figure out is which of the above the TDs are offering - or whether it's some completely new variety, in which case all bets are off. As far as I was aware, all of the better quality versions were discontinued, so I'm really not sure where these supposedly 'available' watches are coming from.

Pseudonym

everyday is a school day!

Ranki

Thanks Greg, this was very helpful.

Porter21
:ttiwwop: