hyster

"New" Milsub.

hyster

I recently bought the new Helenarou 5517 case set and dial.

I built it with a Swiss ETA I had removed from an old rep Omega I no longer wear.

Once built, the 5517 was nice, fixed 2mm bars and the crown and guards are pretty nice but it was just way too new looking for a old Milsub, so...

2wd7cbm.jpg

It took a bit of a kicking today.

Edited by hyster

J!m

That came out nice!

Mine says hello...

5517-newinsert001.jpg

Mine is a Eta 2879 for the lower beat rate like the original. I also did a LOT of modding; more than is aparent from the pics.

Markrfc

Looking good mate!

ourkid17

where can i get the closest 5517 without having to... y'know, build one?

BigBuys

I recently bought the new Helenarou 5517 case set and dial.

I built it with a Swiss ETA I had removed from an old rep Omega I no longer wear.

Once built, the 5517 was nice, fixed 2mm bars and the crown and guards are pretty nice but it was just way too new looking for a old Milsub, so...

2wd7cbm.jpg

It took a bit of a kicking today.

Great job! It really looks nice and convincing. The only obvious is the 'new' crown! :giggle:

DeLaForce
where can i get the closest 5517 without having to... y'know, build one?

You can buy one from helenerou (eBay seller) prebuilt for around $400/500.

ShovelnTC

Very nice work!

Conex

That looks sweeeet. Really loving the whole vintagized look at the moment.

Hakaman

Just ordered one!

Hakaman

… and here it is! I got Helenarou to age the dial for me. I think it's turned out well. I am thinking I might fade the insert and, of course, I need to age the pearl. That thing stands out like a sore thumb at the moment. Any ideas on getting it to fade to a nice warm yellow?

A Gunny NATO is waiting for me when I get home, and I'm hoping that will just finish her off.

Let me know what you think...

IMG_1757_zps95c54d46.jpg

IMG_1756_zps5582742a.jpg

IMG_1760_zpsd1e452e4.jpg

J!m

Looks good, but just remove the pearl. They never lasted long anyway... Certainly easier than trying to yellow it...

fetasigma

Easy way to age a pearl a bit, mix a tiny bit of fiberglass resin and very carefully drop a bit on with a toothpick, makes it a nice golden yellow

Hakaman
Easy way to age a pearl a bit, mix a tiny bit of fiberglass resin and very carefully drop a bit on with a toothpick, makes it a nice golden yellow

Thanks for the advice. I'm not the kind of guy that has fibreglass resin lying around tho! Might have to ask around...

Looks good, but just remove the pearl. They never lasted long anyway... Certainly easier than trying to yellow it...

I might go this way also...

fetasigma

Thanks for the advice. I'm not the kind of guy that has fibreglass resin lying around tho! Might have to ask around...

I might go this way also...

you can buy a small tub of resin at any auoparts store or lowes for 10-15 bucks.....

here is a pearl compleatly made out of resin

DE8CD21E-ED8F-4F80-AC6F-176E78687535_zpss5p0gdrw.jpg

here is a not so great photo of a darkened pearl

E812D8C2-6B40-4653-91F6-A84F94F581AB_zps58e7zlrp.jpg

another resin peatrl job

696F6CBD-C411-4FE6-9AE9-E7CB34B0A65F_zpse057nn1y.jpg

you want another....ahhh ok

DA322240-7063-49B2-9780-B31E24275C34_zpsbpm3iv4x.jpg

how about a before picture on that one

C5DFB3BD-C57A-4FEE-AD44-2B4EA10484D3-2348-000000F770A38789_zps03840009.jpg

another you say before i replaced the pearl with strait up resin

null_zps13ca17e3.jpg

Edited by fetasigma

rusty peters

Hey Fetasigma, You can't just tease us with that blue Tudor!!! That is a nice piece. Time for a whole write up.

You guys have done some great work with these Mitsuba. The vintaging looks very nicely done. You have my gears turning now.

fetasigma

i did a write up when i first made it.....but it is currently waiting on a new movement lol

rusty peters

i did a write up when i first made it.....but it is currently waiting on a new movement lol

Oh....

I am guessing you weren't planning a new movement. Did it die on you? What are you going to put in it?

Hakaman

@fetasigma dude! Nice job there! Okay... It might be easier than I thought. Thanks for the help bro!

fetasigma

Well I had an old eta with the right beat rate but killed the keyless on it, will get it fixed but have had other projects in the wings

fetasigma

i actually mix a little yellow food coloring into the resin to darken it a bit....maybe a just a tad of red, if you want a little brownish a little wood stain will harden in resin too....lol

expieriment with a batch on a piece of paper with diffrent agents in the resin to get diffrent color combo's, you will have enough resin with one bottle to do 1000's of watches so dont be afraid to experiment....i also use it to replace lost pearls with great results

Edited by fetasigma

Benoitch

great looking! I love these milsub

Escapizm
… and here it is! I got Helenarou to age the dial for me. I think it's turned out well. I am thinking I might fade the insert and, of course, I need to age the pearl. That thing stands out like a sore thumb at the moment. Any ideas on getting it to fade to a nice warm yellow?

A Gunny NATO is waiting for me when I get home, and I'm hoping that will just finish her off.

Let me know what you think...

IMG_1757_zps95c54d46.jpg

IMG_1756_zps5582742a.jpg

IMG_1760_zpsd1e452e4.jpg

That looks awesome, I've just ordered one from trusty time and I'll be sending to Kenny for mod, duff up the case and back then repolish, totally awesome relume (see Kenny post) and aging of bezel and new crystal. I may also pop the pearl out all together!

Would love to think I could Franken this with a Rolex movt, my submariner has a really positive click when wound. I'm also looking a a gunny NATO strap so would like to see yours on here.

Thrasher

DAMN AWESOME, this has got to be next... I keep looking at PAMS but these vintage SUBS are beyond cool especially the modding do it yourself stuff, that's the kinda stuff I love.

Jackflash

Some nice 5517s here. Here's mine.

pupu9ypa.jpg

Escapizm
Some nice 5517s here. Here's mine.

pupu9ypa.jpg

That's a beauty, you mod it yourself, how? Is that a t19' my crystals a bit square. Kenny's gonna replace with better domed version, I've also asked he matte the dial with a coat of varnish before he performs his fantastic vintage lume.