Fat Panda

Intro - Fat Panda

Fat Panda

Hello. Firstly, as coming from a design background, I can say this sites look and feel is awesome. In contrast to another replica site, not naming any names.

Chicago native, long time corporate slave, now freed and seeking my next calling. Temporally moved to Asia where I am trying to make a living with my wife. Looking to make friends, learn as much as possible, what to do, and what not to do, and all the ins-and-outs of the rep business. My eventual goal is to learn what it takes to be an reputable rep dealer, and squeeze a living out of it. Hopefully, I can get that accomplished here.

- Cheers

AhD9KVr.jpg

t4_robz

Becoming a rep dealer is a loooong process and not an easy job by any means! Its not something that happens quickly, it can take years upon years to set up your establishment and become trusted...

But all the best to you and your wife & welcome to the forum my friend :D

Edited by t4_robz

Fat Panda

Thanks. I expect the journey to be long, I'm sure the TD here have worked hard at their reputation. I did manage to keep a 100% rating on ebay, since 1998, so I do have that experience behind me. I do have 100% support from my wife, which is imperative. The question that is most glaring in my mind, is what did the TDs do before they were TDs?

I noted in the guidelines I need to seek permission if I want to become a dealer, who is that person? I guess I should get that out of the way so I don't get myself into trouble.

Edited by Fat Panda

millionaire wannabe

Hello and welcome! Good intro, congrats on moving onward and upward! Along the lines of getting into the watch business, I'll throw out my own idea I've been wondering about lately, For whatever it's worth? What if we could get a bunch of members from here, maybe from all over the world, and start our own, employee owned, democratic, gen watch manufacturer? Maybe one person makes the dials, one person makes straps, one person does lume, engineers could design cases and bracelets, etc. Etc. I'm no businessman, (yet?) but am an open minded, optimistic, imaginative big thinker (I think? ? :) ) and I realize people have jobs and families, myself included. .. and the logistics of making this possible might be quite daunting, plus this could veer the direction of the forum in a different direction? But if it was something on the side, with enough people involved, and the scope of knowledge on watches contained in these virtual halls, I believe it would be possible to create an all new watch brand, possibly even a luxury high end one. Anyway, that's my idea for the future of watches-what do you think? Am eye sofa king wee todd did? Or is there any chance?

On the subject of your goal of becoming a rep dealer, that is awesome! Totally go for it! Who knows, you could maybe become a TD here someday? There is much to learn here, your knowledge of reps will grow exponentially in no time flat! Best wishes and good luck!

* p.s. you might want to invest in some watch boxes soon, if you haven't already! Lol.

Mystery Shopper

Hello & welcome.

All of the TDs went through a process to start on here. The process starts with contacting the admin staff listed in my signature below.

Fat Panda

I don't know enough to answer your questions about what it takes to start a watch brand, but I think it can be done, especially in China where I live. I visited what I call "Watch city" in Guangzhou, and I have never seen so many watches and dealers in my life. So it's obviously doable, cause others are doing it. Many Homage brands there.

Becoming a TD was not my idea, it was actually suggested by my wife's cousin, who is an established watch dealer in China for over 5 years. In December we went out for dinner when my wives cousin suggested the idea. Since I didn't have a source of income, I agreed I would try. So in terms of having a dealership, that part is done, but he, nor I have have experience selling (Rep watches) over the internet. I decided it was not save to try selling Reps over ebay, and without reputation behind you, selling on CL is impossible.

Fat Panda

Power thanks. I'll do just that.

Hyjynx

Welcome to RWG, Fat Panda

"Such a lovely place

This could be Heaven or this could be Hell

We are all just prisoners here, of our own device

We are programmed to receive

You can check-out any time you like

But you can never leave!"

- Adapted from "Hotel California" by Eagles

fatarms

Welcome from Cleveland :) Best of luck in your endeavors.

James.

Welcome, I wish you all the luck in your quest to become a TD. It's a long, hard road, you need lots of reputation behind you before a site like here will take you on. There are other sites you can pay a small monthly fee to be a supporting vendor, liike a TD, but you'll need some solid rep to have a shot at that too. These things take time, I suggest you acclimatise here, hang around, spend waaaaay too long online and become part of the wallpaper 1st.

Welcome.

YotaBoy

Wow quite ambitious there but I like it! Hope you have a great time here and educate yourself about the rep world, maybe soon enough we'll see Fat Panda on the TD list. :)

Fat Panda

I guess I will wait to hear from the admins to get a feel for the process and when I could be expected to be taken on. Although I understand the reason for the TD process, my wife and I have to eat, so I will have to keep gently pushing towards being able to offer up rep watches. I also will speak with the admins about the non-rep watches and the rules for those, because if the rules for those are different, that might be a method for myself to build up some reputation points. I do appreciate suggestions. If it's not against the rules, please let me know the other sites that might allow me become a supporting vendor. I want to explore all avenues.

James.

I guess I will wait to hear from the admins to get a feel for the process and when I could be expected to be taken on. Although I understand the reason for the TD process, my wife and I have to eat, so I will have to keep gently pushing towards being able to offer up rep watches. I also will speak with the admins about the non-rep watches and the rules for those, because if the rules for those are different, that might be a method for myself to build up some reputation points. I do appreciate suggestions. If it's not against the rules, please let me know the other sites that might allow me become a supporting vendor. I want to explore all avenues.

In the meantime, and i'm sure a mod will correct me if/when im wrong, but you can consider purchasing small quantities of reps and once you meet the criteria, sell them in the m2m sales section. You'd have to sell cheaper than TDs though, and factor into the pricing model customs/postage issues like loss, theft and seizure.

DG335

Welcome. Hope you speak mandarin and can negotiate with the underworld.... Otherwise i suspect your fecked..

dalboy

Welcome to RWG.

" Want to be a dealer " .. The path is a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong and arduous one . Good luck , though i doubt you appreciate just whats involved !

Dal.

Fat Panda

That's a great idea, thanks James. If the mods allow that, we would be welcome to that idea. Another thought was to offer watch upgrade parts, which we can get.

Fat Panda

That's where my Chinese cousin, and business partner comes in. He deals with that end.

Welcome. Hope you speak mandarin and can negotiate with the underworld.... Otherwise i suspect your fecked..

Mazz

No thats not allowed

DG335
That's where my Chinese cousin, and business partner comes in. He deals with that end.

Hahaha. Ok good start..!

James.

No thats not allowed

Fair enough, however was Boycie not doing something vaguely similar with the numerous 127's et al he had for sale?

-edited to add, i'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, just something I noticed in the past, I don't have any issues with the practice as long as there's disclosure.

Hahaha. Ok good start..!

His name wouldn't happen to be Rochest by and chance? :lol:

Fat Panda

Well, I will work with the admins to fully understand what they will allow and not allow. I do hope there is a clear path established where I can start to build reputation points, and not starve to death in the process. I will be interested to hear their ideas.

Edited by Fat Panda

greg_r

In the meantime, and i'm sure a mod will correct me if/when im wrong, but you can consider purchasing small quantities of reps and once you meet the criteria, sell them in the m2m sales section. You'd have to sell cheaper than TDs though, and factor into the pricing model customs/postage issues like loss, theft and seizure.

M2M is NOT for the sale of new watches by prospective dealers, so no...

nev848

Do I predict a happy ending...... No unfortunately.