Sign in to follow this  
johnnyloco

When not wearing watch for some time, should I pull the stem out

johnnyloco

Some searches of the board revealed conflicting opinions on whether one should pull the stem out and "hack" the watch when it is not being used for some time. Is this a good way to keep the spring in good condition?

THanks

rc42

If you leave the crown in the hack position for storage it will let the humidity from the air into the watch and could cause corrosion inside the movement, I live in Brisbane which gets very humid and had rust on the rotor of a gen Rolex from doing this.

If the spring is unwound then its under the least tension so this should be best for long term storage, I just put them in the watch box (with some large silical gel packs) and let them run down, they've all come back to life just fine even after a couple of years like that.

Rolexwatchman

why would you pull it out on automatic watch? Just buy a real good case or storage that will keep it very dry and from dust.... should be enough

Kleen™

I disassemble my watches down to the last battery before putting them in the box and never had a problem (- except for the reassembling)

NCRich

Pull it all the way out. Store it beside the watch in the box.

Del Boy

I store mine in the Bank of England's Gold Vault... it's pretty empty after Gordon Brown sold off our currency reserve at recent record lows.

Never really thought about the stem thing... probably better to leave Stem in rather than allow any contamination and let it run down.

Pull it all the way out. Store it beside the watch in the box.

Hahahaha... sadly has been done before. :giggle:

Conex

I have always just let them run down. If I don't wear them for a while I give them a little nudge every now and then to get the movement going just to keep the oils lubricated.

JSJ

Some observations and questions...

If water vapour is an issue, the watch will need to be waterproof in order for screwing the stem in to make a difference, otherwise if the crystal leaks, for example, it will take on water-laden air anyway.

If the air is humid when you last screw in the crown, I'd have thought you are locking in the water vapour.

There is an O ring in the stem tube of decent waterproof watches so there is good dust resistance anyway. Even non-waterproof watches have them.

What about watches which make no pretence about being waterproof? Presumably they will be at risk of corrosion hacked or not?

On balance, for short periods, I hack mine. I don't have a huge issue with humidity where I live but if I did, I'd certainly store watches in a sealed container with a dessicant to reduce the corrosion risk.

StormyNight

Just don't not wear them.

You'll probable need long arms.

HTH.

_DC_
Some observations and questions...

If water vapour is an issue, the watch will need to be waterproof in order for screwing the stem in to make a difference, otherwise if the crystal leaks, for example, it will take on water-laden air anyway.

If the air is humid when you last screw in the crown, I'd have thought you are locking in the water vapour.

There is an O ring in the stem tube of decent waterproof watches so there is good dust resistance anyway. Even non-waterproof watches have them.

What about watches which make no pretence about being waterproof? Presumably they will be at risk of corrosion hacked or not?

On balance, for short periods, I hack mine. I don't have a huge issue with humidity where I live but if I did, I'd certainly store watches in a sealed container with a dessicant to reduce the corrosion risk.

Mostly valid points here, if vapour gonna get it in it's gonna get in, but it's a moot point since there doesn't appear to be any benefit to hacking so regardless of humidity why bother to do it? If anything keeping the mainspring under constant tension for long periods of time is likely to reduce it's power reserve, so humidity or no humidity, just let them run down and relax!!

DC

plankton

No leave it alone. Get a winder maybe? Moisture is your enemy remember.