Sign in to follow this  
gtwc

7750 or not? non-chrono.......

gtwc

Having joined RWG a month ago, I have avidly devoured the various forums (thanks for so many wonderful posts & super-good pics) and have reached the following conclusion......

Stay away from 7750 be it Valjoux or Asian. I like the look of a number of chronos (B/Bangs, ROOs, Breitling Super Avenger Black Steel etc), but feel that I might be buying a pig in a poke - just worried about the reliability of the movement.

I am now confining my watch-lust to affirmedly non-chronos, such as various Panerai, a Roger Dubuis, a Richard Mille and a Ulysse Nardin.

Am I being too paranoid.....I just feel that with a chrono, there is always the temptation to 'push the buttons' (just like with a woman) and consequently risk disaster. Push the wrong button, and it may seize up (again like a woman), and never re-set, or just go into a big sulk and never work properly again.....(just like my woman, who is busy re-tiling the kitchen even as I write this....)

BTW my only rep so far is a PP Aquanaut 42mm from Reg / Narikaa and it's bloody marvellous. Perfect from the front, admittedly a lousy behind (what's known as a 1661) and it keeps time to a remarkable + 8 secs per day. Great value for only £76 (approx $115) inc. postage.

I would welcome your thoughts / comments on the matter of chrono-reliability - I am not looking to time Usain Bolt over 100metres, but could sometime feel the need to time myself 'cycling to the paper shop in the morning....

thanks to all you posters, this really is a great site (do I get a free watch for saying that????)

finally, is there an 'idiot's guide' ('cos I is one) to using the emoticons? I click and point and shoot and paste (like with my woman) but still seem to get nowhere.....?

greg_r

1. 7750s are pretty good these days - provided you go for secs@9. Just follow the basic rules (i.e. don't hand-wind, wind the time forward to 6am before setting the date and don't reset the chrono hand outside the area between 10 and 2) and you should be fine. To a large degree even the gen Swiss 7750 suffers from the same problems. Treated with respect and serviced occasionally, the movement should last well.

2. Secs@6 and Secs@12 still have issues (although the @6 versions appear to have improved a bit). If you're worried about it, then I'd steer clear

3. The Sea-Gull ST19 (often called copy Lemania or Venus) is an excellent hand-wind chrono movement and extremely reliable. Well worth considering as an alternative to a 7750-based watch.

4. If you want an ultra-reliable, ultra-accurate chrono watch to use as a daily beater, consider quartz. Yes, I know some of the WIS around here look down their noses at 'em, but there's quite a few quartz reps using high-quality cases and dials. They look great and you don't have the worries about durability.

The emoticons are just point and click from the list in the menu with the smiley face at the top of the posting dialog ;) ...or you can use the text shortcuts - most of which are a word between two colons - to trigger 'em :). When you click an emoticon, the text shortcut will appear in your post - the actual emoticon itself won't appear until you have actually posted.

KBH

I agree with Greg. No reason to stay away from 7750's As long as you follow a few basic rules they are great movements and generally speaking the 7750 models are going to be of higher quality than the 21j ones. I have two Asian and one Swiss 7750 and haven't had any serious problems with any, although I've had 2 serviced just because I plan on keeping them. Also I don't use the chrono functions much. I just like the looks of them.

I am still afraid of the seconds at 6 Daytonas though. My only Daytona is a vintage seconds at 9.