Sign in to follow this  
headhunt3r

School me on Seiko's Kinetic movement

headhunt3r

So, this bastard "quartz/automatic" movement is Seiko's equivalent to Citizen's Eco-Drive. I've read that people's opinion is that the eco-drive is a much better movement, and that the Kinetic will die after a while when the battery's lifespan has passed.

Anyone know anything about these guys?

Electron17

I have 3 Seiko kinetics and they are wonderful watches. Having 3 is a big mistake as they need to be worn to keep the capacitor charged. Replaced the capacitor in my oldest kinetic recently and it now works like a dream. The best of both worlds, a rotor like an automatic that charges the capacitor and the accuracy of a quartz. They say a capacitor has a life span of about 8 years, haven't had mine that long so can't comment on that. Got 2 Eco-drives that are charged by light, a totally different process. They also work well but I prefer the Seiko's.

Mazz

Two diffrent animals like electro said

But never had an issue with a kinetic

Wriggles

I've had an Arctura kinetic for over 10years, not a minutes trouble with it

mrtsumoto80

Different movements as already mentioned.

The problems with capacitors were common on the first kinetics nowadays they have improved and lower the price of the technology.

I have two kinetics one is a very affordable piece at around $200 that has been abused for 5 years and works like a charm, the other one is

a 1k kinetic with two saphire crystals (lume and case back) this has been abused for 10 years, never been serviced and works like a champ!

You just can´t go wrong with seikos, they are in my book the best watches in the world overall considering quality vs price, availability etc.

headhunt3r

Thanks guys.

I think my biggest concern is what I've read on having to replace the capacitor / battery after a while, but it sounds like that's a non-issue anymore.