Sign in to follow this  
AllergyDoc

Understanding water resistance for watches

AllergyDoc

The first table was lifted from a HighFlyingClive post. (I'm sure he stole it from someone else, though.)

The second chart was lifted from a long-forgotten watch site.

There is actually a European standard for the descriptions used to indicate water resistance on watches. It goes something like this:

'30m' or '3 ATM' : Splash proof but should not be submerged. Not suitable for swimming.

'50m' or '5 ATM' : Suitable for swimming but not poolside diving.

'100m' or '10 ATM' : Suitable for swimming, poolside diving and watersports.

'200m' or '20 ATM' Suitable for diving. (Always check manufacturers guide as not all '200m' watches are designed for diving.)

Watches with the lowest level of water resistance are labeled simply "water-resistant." They can withstand splashes of water but should not be submerged. Above that (or below it, literally speaking), the most common designations are

-50 meters (1 meter is about 3.3 feet), which means the watch is suitable for swimming;

-100 meters; indicating it can be worn snorkeling;

-200 meters, suitable for recreational scuba diving and, believe it or not,

-1,000 meters (roughly three-fifths of a mile).

Watches in this last category can endure deep-sea diving. Their gaskets are made of materials that can withstand the helium used in decompression chambers. Some have valves that let the wearer release the helium that has seeped into the watch so the case won't explode as the watch and diver adjust to normal atmospheric conditions, says Peter Purtschert, technical director at Breitling USA.

Keep in mind that the depth specified on the watch dial represents the results of tests done in the lab, not in the ocean.

Edited by AllergyDoc

onzenuub

Thats the kind of postings we need over here.

JohnG

Good post.

We should incorporate this into a sticky with Noob FAQ's. Other topics could be gen ETA vs. clone (so they know the issue exists), dropshipping, typical customs questions, shipping, etc... I would recommend putting it through several drafts here, with comments, having one thread with a series of organized and clear posts, no rambling or comment, and then lock and sticky it. Then it could be titled Noob Rep Collector FAQ's or something like that...

oscarmadfish

thanx

greg_r
Good post.

We should incorporate this into a sticky with Noob FAQ's. Other topics could be gen ETA vs. clone (so they know the issue exists), dropshipping, typical customs questions, shipping, etc... I would recommend putting it through several drafts here, with comments, having one thread with a series of organized and clear posts, no rambling or comment, and then lock and sticky it. Then it could be titled Noob Rep Collector FAQ's or something like that...

That's a darned good idea - put it together with the 7750 post and anything else we can pull together.... Once it's done, we'll sticky it.

iabounty

Thats great Doc. But tell me....... Who makes the best Sub? Inquisitive minds want to know........ :lol:

AllergyDoc
Thats great Doc. But tell me....... Who makes the best Sub? Inquisitive minds want to know........ :lol:

WM9.

Maybe Eurotimez with a couple of changes.

:cry:

coolfire

Great info there...

I remember that HighFlyingClive's post was made in the early days of RWG1... :thumbsup:

fakemaster
:bounce:

trailboss99

Exelent idea John.

Col.

Luthier
Good post.

GREATEST IDEA!!!

Especially for noobs like me. I still have no idea what "noobfactory" is, and where is it.

:lol:

Chavezzito

Hahaha...sorry for the necrobump but I found it funny seeing Luth call himself a n00b...I wonder what happened then? :lol:

RUSH2112
Hahaha...sorry for the necrobump but I found it funny seeing Luth call himself a n00b...I wonder what happened then? :lol:

I hope he had a post introducing himself before posting that.