Sign in to follow this  
conx

Stem removal & insertion

conx

No, not a crude innuendo !

I know that I need to be careful when removing the stem from a 2836 to avoid screwing the keyless works. However, I'm not sure when re-inserting the stem, do I need to press the release button again as I am inserting, or do I just push it in ignoring the button?

Advice appreciated :)

SSTEEL

Personally I have ever-changing preferences when extracting, and reinserting the stem, after doing so many, you get a feel for how the keyless is functioning, loose, dry, lubed, and whatnot.

To reduce risk of screwing up the keyless, extract the stem in hack position (time setting mode), and upon refitting, really gently insert it completely inline with the keyless work components, setting wheels. Make sure you are not putting the stem in an upwards, downward, left or right angled positions, it has to go in square.

Whilst inserting the stem, gently turn the crown left, and right every so gently whilst applying very light pressure, you should come to a position where there is still a slight part of the stem turned tip, its then if your gentle pressure won't let you home the stem all the way, then you gently push the stem release button whilst pushing the stem in the final stage.

Only use a 1.20mm RED flat screwdriver when pushing the stem release button. Its designed in such a way, to accept a 1.20mm screwdriver, without the possibility of pushing the button too far down.

twofake

Hey nice answer SSTEEL.

I agree with what you say.

I do have my IWC Cousteau rep which will not allow the stem release button to depress unless when in the time set position. It will only depress in the watch running position . Thus the stem is removed and the watch is still running. Seemed strange to me but it worked and I tried it a few times and it was the same each time and the keyless works is still fine.

SSTEEL

Indeed, my usual preference is remove stem in winding position, but suggest to anyone new, or nothing have done this before, do it in winding position.

NOTE: Take extra care with a movement with its stem removed, ensuring no knocks, drops, or taps, otherwise this can knock things out of sync with the keyless work, but usually only in wind mode, hacking is fine, and is used by many watch factories shipping new movements in hack mode, which to those who are unfamiliar with hacking, its basically a little brake on the balance wheel to prevent it from oscillating during transit.

twofake

I did have a 21j cheapie which sometimes would . I I wasn't are full to ensure it had hacked, allow the stem to come out and it was a bitch to replace . Sometimes it would take me 15

Minutes to get the stem back in but I learned to never remove the stem when it was still ticking.

Once , with the same movement , I couldn't replace the stem and had to remove the hands and face to find a gear had moved while trying to replace the stem ( when not in the hacking mode).

conx

Thanks Micky, very helpful :)

kamma

Personally I have ever-changing preferences when extracting, and reinserting the stem, after doing so many, you get a feel for how the keyless is functioning, loose, dry, lubed, and whatnot.

To reduce risk of screwing up the keyless, extract the stem in hack position (time setting mode), and upon refitting, really gently insert it completely inline with the keyless work components, setting wheels. Make sure you are not putting the stem in an upwards, downward, left or right angled positions, it has to go in square.

Whilst inserting the stem, gently turn the crown left, and right every so gently whilst applying very light pressure, you should come to a position where there is still a slight part of the stem turned tip, its then if your gentle pressure won't let you home the stem all the way, then you gently push the stem release button whilst pushing the stem in the final stage.

Only use a 1.20mm RED flat screwdriver when pushing the stem release button. Its designed in such a way, to accept a 1.20mm screwdriver, without the possibility of pushing the button too far down.

Ive just followed your instructions Micky and removed my first stem from a 2824 in my SOA 42 as I had something on the inside of the crystal and it had been bugging me for

ages, I finally got the courage to give it a go and I must say I impressed myself :)

Ive finally popped me cherry on taking a movement out of a case, I know its not a big deal to some on here lol but im feeling mighty proud of myself atm :lol:

Next project is to fix keyless issue on a movement KeNnY is swapping out for a GEN eta he has on mine while doing lume job, then if I manage to fix that im going to use

this 'spare' movement to try a full stripdown and rebuild

SSTEEL

Congrats on popping your cherry :P

Well done!

andyx

Hi Folks,

I have a strange issue. I removed the stem, but once I insert it back -- I can only change date, not time. I tried to push it in different positions, still only date.

Before removal (I pushed the button to remove the stem)

before.jpg

After

after.jpg

I don't know if the pictures say anything, but basically the symptom is that in any position the date is changing, but no time.

I also don't think I damaged something, just needed to remove the movement.

Any ideas guys?

SSTEEL

You used a 1.20mm flat screwdriver to push the stem release button, right? If not, you may of pushed the release button too far, thus keyless needs resetting.

andyx

That might be an issue indeed. I didn't have a screwdriver :-(

Is that difficult to reset the keyless? I never heard about this process.

SSTEEL

Hands, and dial have to come off to access the keyless work.

umecha

It's fairly simple if you're careful and have the right tools.

The usual method is to decase the movement, remove the watch hands, then the dial, which will then give you direct access to the keyless works. Here's a walkthrough of the process: http://www.rwgforum....yless-tutorial/

Alternatively, you could try going in from the back of the movement like so:

I've never had any problems with keyless works so far (touch wood), but I'd be tempted to give the second method a try if I had to. As far as I can tell, the main benefit of it is that you remove the possibility of damaging the hands/dial which. But remember to let down the mainspring if you're removing any of the movement components! otherwise parts will ping off into the ether, and potentially cause damage as well.

Edited by umecha

Conex

Amazing, in depth help from Micky as usual!!!!

andyx

Great stuff indeed, but now I am a bit scared to perform this myself :-)

SSTEEL

Where are you located?

andyx

In Germany.

SSTEEL

I'm in EU, and can sort it out for you, but I am very busy, plus I'm winding things down work wise now due to my upcoming vacation on the 15th of July. I will be away for 15 days.

Drop me a pm, and we will see about getting you sorted out asap.

pallidum

It's fairly simple if you're careful and have the right tools.

The usual method is to decase the movement, remove the watch hands, then the dial, which will then give you direct access to the keyless works. Here's a walkthrough of the process: http://www.rwgforum....yless-tutorial/

Alternatively, you could try going in from the back of the movement like so:

I've never had any problems with keyless works so far (touch wood), but I'd be tempted to give the second method a try if I had to. As far as I can tell, the main benefit of it is that you remove the possibility of damaging the hands/dial which. But remember to let down the mainspring if you're removing any of the movement components! otherwise parts will ping off into the ether, and potentially cause damage as well.

Ironically I had this same problem with my Breiling SOH v1.5 the day this was posted. Just today, I used the video tutorial to reseat the keyless works mechanism from the backside of the watch. It was intimidating (first time ever removing anything except the rotor) but it went smooth. I had just a basic watch tool kit from amazon and was aided by a binocular operating microscope, which made all the difference. This would be pretty difficult to do with a standard cheap jewelers loupe found in the basic kit. The whole process took about an hour with three take-downs and re-assemblies because I didn't get it right the first time.

I just wanted to say, as a noob, you can do it!

I would recommend watching the video a few times to familiarize yourself with the anatomy of the movement and the steps, then preparing a clean workspace. When you remove screws and parts, place them in order on a blank sheet of white paper with some basic drawings of how things are oriented and what screws go where. Have just the right amount of coffee in your bloodstream, try not to touch anything with your fingers, and don't panic if you drop a screw out of your field of view- just take your time and you will find it.

Good luck!