Sign in to follow this  
primal98

A7750 as a Daily Beater

diggs

+1

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk 2

dv8

Do original daytona movements have the same problem or is the movement much more reliable?

Frankt8242

Do original daytona movements have the same problem or is the movement much more reliable?

The older ones, (20th century). are modified(to change beat rate) Zenith "El Primero" movements and are very "special".....The more recent ones, after 2000, (sec's at 6:00) are Rolex OEM movements...and they are "special" too...Reliability isn't even an issue with them!!...Just price!!! :giggle: :giggle:

Edited by Frankt8242

greg_r

Now one thing to note that this watch does not have a chronograph function, just the seconds at 9. I'm guessing that this config is far more stable.

Yep - they're a lot more robust in that configuration.

746_heuer

The movement should survive daily wear. The chrono is what you can't use more than once a month

Edited by 746_heuer

twofake
The movement should survive daily wear. The chrono is what you can't use more than once a month

Does using the chrono wear out something prematurely ? Is it to do with the push buttons or other gearing?

fana05

Does using the chrono wear out something prematurely ? Is it to do with the push buttons or other gearing?

using the chrono on these rep watches is the equivalent of smoking 27 packs of Marlboro before lunch every day for 5 consecutive years and eating the Wendy's triple baconator for every meal.. You might live and still die of old age or stroke out after the first week Edited by fana05

reximda

Use my PAM 299 as daily beater and it's been fine.

^^^^^^^ This!

reximda

you have a lifestyle which means it doesn't get rough treatment, then you could well be okay. :dunno:

I sit on my arse all day long. Sign me up!

Daywatch

Luckily until now no problems with secs at 9 movements and use them a lot - for about 3 month only. Anyway You start to notice they "seem" more fragile and start treating them with more "care" which is not always comfortable. Hence my best secs at 9 is a robust, tough PAM193 but that one´s got a 23j movement. My 7750 end up being used 1-2 a week, daily beaters are non-chrono autos or quartz chronos (with or without running seconds - these are shockproof) - if I have the chrono function I want to use it, mostly for count-down timing, luckily the rollie-subs do the same to the minute. :)

twofake

using the chrono on these rep watches is the equivalent of smoking 27 packs of Marlboro before lunch every day for 5 consecutive years and eating the Wendy's triple baconator for every meal.. You might live and still die of old age or stroke out after the first week

Man I have to quit pushing the chrono buttons ASAP or risk lung cancer and a heart attack!! Thanks for the advice.

Saved my life.

myaz

Pushing the chrono buttons engage extra gears that are normally stationary. These gears are on an added stackable module that doesn't have jewels and introduces extra friction.

See Onzenuub's post: http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=3154

JSJ

Pushing the chrono buttons engage extra gears that are normally stationary. These gears are on an added stackable module that doesn't have jewels and introduces extra friction.

See Onzenuub's post: http://www.rwg.bz/bo...?showtopic=3154

Sorry myaz but the added secs@6 module is nothing to do with the chronograph. It runs whether the chronograph is engaged or not.

myaz

THX for the correction, blaming a passing bout of Alzheimer's.

Cannibal

I've had mostly good luck with the A7750. I had it in a PAM194 (so not a chrono) and it ran reliably for about two years until I sold it recently. It's running strong in the PAM243 I got a month ago as well. I also had one in a PAM Daylight that I had for a couple of years. Granted the watch only was worn a handful of times but it worked great.

However...

Just before xmas 2013 I got a IWC Cousteau chrono (2008 model) and it ran great for a week, until the day wheel got jammed. With a bit of careful jiggling, I got it loose but this is where the problem started. From about 2 a.m. until about 10:30 pm the watch would run fantastically well. Very accurate indeed. But once it got into the date change time frame, the movement ran fine enough, but the jammed date wheel must have snagged something because the watch would lose about 4 hours overnight. It sat for about a week and a half recently while I was out of town and since then, the few times I've worn it, it now loses about 5 minutes per hour, plus the 4 hour loss overnight.

I really really like this watch, so I bought a swiss 7750 movement for it and will have it installed shortly.

When they run issue free, they're awesome. But when an issue pops up, it's a PITA.

746_heuer

sorry for the late answer, in addition to what the others told you about the gears, in my case the part which failed was a thin lever that is pushed by the pusher. Didn't affect the time telling though.

Aviator

sorry for the late answer, in addition to what the others told you about the gears, in my case the part which failed was a thin lever that is pushed by the pusher. Didn't affect the time telling though.

I was using my A7750 Sec@9 daytona for over 4 years, playing with the chronos many times and I've never had any problems.

What about the same quiestion, only a SERVICED A7750 for daily beater?

graman

I've killed a couple and had success with a couple.

Have had 3 that I've worn daily for years. No major dramas.

Luck of the draw, but treat it nicely.