Sign in to follow this  
vlarn

PO GMT not automatic-ing

vlarn

Hi Guys,

My PO GMT has stopped auto winding. I can manual wind just fine. Did a search on on prior posts here and it seems the rotor is most likely stuck. From what I've read, this can go two ways if I open her up:

1) I might find some foreign object (pubes?) blocking the rotor, clear it and all will be well, or

2) I might end up messing up the rotor and then the watch will unwind from the mainspring and manual winding won't even work any more.

I have never even opened a watch before, so I am asking for guidance please. Do I risk opening her up, just be happy with it as a manual wind, or take it to a shop.

I greatly appreciate your wisdom and hard won experience as I am very temped to open 'er up and have a go at it.

Please advise least I do something I'll regret later.

Thanks!

TheInthusiest

Open it up.

Check to see if the rotor screw is too tight.

- if it is go to option a) if not go option b)

A) loosen screw. Put caseback on. Walk outside with your sexy watch and fuck bitches.

B) take off rotor. Look at all dat complicated shit. Realize you aren't a watchsmith. Go find a watchsmith.

J.Eric

What kind of movement is in it?

If you remove the rotor, it should not unwind the mainspring.

Is there any weird rattle sound?

vlarn

No sounds, the rotor just doesn't move.

vlarn

Open it up.

A) loosen screw. Put caseback on. Walk outside with your sexy watch and fuck bitches.

B) take off rotor. Look at all dat complicated shit. Realize you aren't a watchsmith. Go find a watchsmith.

Thanks TheInthusist - I'll give it a go. Maybe I'll get lucky and fix one on my first try.

Edited by vlarn

J.Eric

Hmmm...

I would suggest to open it up and follow Theinthusiest directions.

TheInthusiest

Open it up.

Thanks TheInthusist - I'll give it a go. Maybe I'll get lucky and fix one on my first try.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

SSTEEL

Let us know how you get on my friend.

gmchris

No reply..... He must be busy fucking bitches!

Edited by gmchris

SSTEEL

Oke

gmchris

No reply..... He must be busy fucking bitches!

Er... I really should put my previous reply into context, I was re referring to the inthusiast's optimistic advice to the op.

Edited by gmchris

vlarn

Hey guys - well I have finally opened her up on this fine Easter Sunday, and need your further guidance. Here is what I am seeing:

z4dBqQh.jpg

The rotor is very tight, so I attempted to adjust the screw, however the slot on the screw is so thin and shallow, it is like it is not even there. Is there a special tool for this? I used my thinnest and smallest screwdriver and could not even get it to acknowledge there was a slot there to grab onto. I am perplexed and would greatly appreciate your advice.

fortman

You'll need some decent jewellers screwdrivers mate, not the cheapo crap from the street market to loosen that centre rotor screw as thats a tiny slot to grab hold of.

Don't spend a fortune as you've no need to.

Maybe even grind a cheapo down to make the blade thin enough but go careful as not to butcher the slot. . I actually used a piece of broken up Stanley knife blade superglued to a piece of lolly stick when I was desperate once...

Sounds a silly question but, how long have you had the PO working ok on auto-wind before the rotor stopped doing it's business.?

vlarn

Thanks for the guidance - I'll see if I can craft something similar. This is a new PO from a TD. Did not autowind right out of the box - but I can hand wind it, so I am trying to fix myself rather than return and play the waiting game.

conx

While you are working on it, can you measure the case size. Is it about 40mm without the crown?

mielur

what is pink vip also trkz bzr why thanks

conx

Its for gay VIPs

Ahew9391
You'll need some decent jewellers screwdrivers mate, not the cheapo crap from the street market to loosen that centre rotor screw as thats a tiny slot to grab hold of.

Don't spend a fortune as you've no need to.

Maybe even grind a cheapo down to make the blade thin enough but go careful as not to butcher the slot. . I actually used a piece of broken up Stanley knife blade superglued to a piece of lolly stick when I was desperate once...

Sounds a silly question but, how long have you had the PO working ok on auto-wind before the rotor stopped doing it's business.?

This guy is genius. Super glue, Stanley blade, lolly stick. Simple ! I nearly pissed myself reading that. I applaud you sir :-)

mielur

Its for gay VIPs

lol