Sign in to follow this  
mbjoer

Patek Philippe Nautilus.....ish

mbjoer

We all start somewhere with this hobby and not all our purchases are equally succesful.

As one of my first reps I bought a Patek Nautilus from Watcheden. As I remember it was a special offer $20 cheaper than normal (....but without the option of deducting $20 as I could have done had it not been an "offer" LOL....)

I think I paid something like $80 landed in the UK.

Prior to buying this I had never looked closely at the Nautilus series. And this one looked pretty good on the website. So I bought it and received it without any issues.

This is what I got:

060.jpg

For the price there are limits to what one can expect in terms of replication, but how does it stand up on its own?

In my opinion it is a visually pretty watch.

It has 21J movement, white dial with hour, minute and second hands and a light blue subdial with 3 hands which are non-functioning.

The case is nicely made, if a bit chunky and the dial looks really good with slightly unusual colours. All set off nicely by the deep red leather strap.

The crown is not too bad:

062-1.jpg066.jpg

The back of the watch is interesting. The rotor is decorated and the caseback has hallmarks. So full points for trying.

069.jpg

But unfortunately it is all very basic. So while it can be made to look good on a picture, it could never convince even an untrained eye that this is a white gold Patek.

The buckle is etched and not engraved:

071.jpg

The strap is leather and not alligator, and somewhat rough where it meets the watch head:

072.jpg

And here is what I have found the funniest: The number sequence on the subdial:

059.jpg

That has mostly sounded rather negative. Non functioning hands, cheap case back and funny dial. Why do I still have it?

Well...... Because I actually like it!

With all its faults I keep remembering that it was really cheap. It works well. And if you just look at it as a piece of accessory without trying to impress anyone it actually looks good. So I wear it. And from time to time get a laugh when I show others my rep.

Would I buy the same watch today? No, definitely not.

But now that I have it it has been used and abused and I have been satisfied with the investment so far. However I will need to get a new strap sometime and am not sure how to get a decent one without paying more than this one can justify. The odd shape could just make it too expensive to replace the existing one.

Finally a few wrist shots:

066-1.jpg

064.jpg

Edited by mbjoer

gran

unique :D

WebWind
... and a light blue subdial with 3 hands which are non-functioning.

But hand on that subdial are in different position on last two pics ... :popcorn:

mbjoer
... and a light blue subdial with 3 hands which are non-functioning.

But hand on that subdial are in different position on last two pics ... ;)

Yes, it moves when you set the time. But I have yet to find any functionality.

_DC_

I like it, tempted to get one, I have a nautilus already but I like the ones with the sundials on the face and this is the only rep I've been able to find of that particular model, so for he sake of having the Patek I want Im very tempted! I reckon with a decent strap it looks pretty good!!

DC