Sign in to follow this  
ICPrice

How's it going?

ICPrice

Hey everybody, just found this site. Glad I did. I have a small collection of decent watches, but I've never owned a replica. I have however always had an affinity for model replicas of all sorts. It's been a hobby of mine for quite sometime. From model cars, planes, and boats; to swords, and firearms (also a collector of real firearms).

A few months ago I got into another watch kick that had been laying dormant for a few years (I tend to collect hobbies and go through phases). Anyway, I was browsing around the interwebs, dreaming of things I can't afford, when I came upon all manner of replica watches. Of course growing-up near a big city I've seen and been offered knock-offs before. Cheep, chintzy, and of obviously poor quality.

But the more I read, from sites similar to this one, of replica affectionados, the more intrigued I became. I never realized how in depth it all is when you're not being offered them from the trunk of a car. There's something to say about the fine details of high quality reps that captivate me. It's not that I'm some wannabe that just wants to flash some look-a-like junk around to people who wouldn't know breitling from ballocks. Oh no, what interests me is the fact that such art can be reproduced such that it is an art in it's own right. And that I can own them. Collect them. Covet them and display them. I'm almost mad with lunacy just thinking of it. I needed to get my hands on some of these. But where to find them?

Alas, the more sites I looked at whom were selling, the more red flags that went up. Especially when trying to find a decent and factual review. There was a heavy wafting fish odour about the air, and I needed to weight through the bullshit. Finally, my journeys led me here. And I signed up.

I started learning at an exponential rate. After reading through countless threads, I began to better understand my growing, obsessive lust. Most helpful were the Trusted Dealer pages, leading me to what I feel comfortable in believing is actual honesty for a change. And the reviews of which were especially nice, providing pictures and commentary. So thank you, everyone, and hello.

I do have a few questions, if anyone out there might have some answers...

Firstly, after looking through a few dealers, and considering my budget, I've decided that "houseofsouvenirs.com" seems to offer the quality I desire, in my price-range. Although I'm only able to afford the asian movements currently, I was wondering if there is any major difference between these and the ETA models besides the quality of movement? Such as finish, and so forth.

Also, Has anyone any experience with the Pro Hunter Rolex models, especially the SDDS? How's the quality of the PVD? Is the bezel uni-directional? Are the bezels tight (i.e will not ratchet unintentionally)? And are there any major, outstanding differences I might be missing between these and the real thing that I should be aware of? I was also wondering where this particular company was located as I'm in the US, and his servers seem to be located in Canada. I'm not yet aware of the rules concerning customs, "replicas", and the like; should I be at all worried about possible confiscation?

Obviously I'm not expecting a great deal for around $130, but it still seems as though they would be a good way into the hobby, entry level kind of deal.

Any who, sorry about the lengthy post, thanks in advance for any help given/questions answered, and hello! I hope I can learn a lot more, make some friends, and share a growing passion with all of you.

Cheers.

Edited by ICPrice

Luthier

Bezels are tight, and unidirectional, so, no worries. If you can choose clone ETA mov't - it's the best for your budget.

Simple 21J mov't "ticking", seconds hand doesn't move smoothly, like on ETA and ETA clones, because it's low beat mov't.

Lawrence location is Malaysia, he's great dealer. Others mostly from China, and all factories in China too.

No any poroblems with US Custom so far, so, you're safe.

Welcome to the Forum!!!

greg_r

Hi and welcome to the addiction!

All of our dealers should be able to supply a fairly wide range of watches. Good as House of Souvenirs is (he's one of the nicest guys in the business btw), if you want a DSSD - whether Pro-Hunter or otherwise, I'd suggest contacting Prestige Watch Co (aka Robert). He sells an excellent DeepSea with an asian movement for around $130. You'd have to pay the better part of three times the price to beat it - it's a superb watch. I'm wearing mine today:

dssd_1_170710.jpg

The prohunter version is of similar quality. The PVD coating is pretty durable but, of course, is a little easier to mark than stainless steel. If you're careful, though, it should last you a good long time.

The 21J asian movements aren't as good as the Swiss ETA, obviously. The second hand doesn't sweep quite as smoothly and they're impractical to service as parts aren't readily available. However, replacement movements are very cheap indeed, so rather than service it when the time comes you can just get a watchsmith to replace the movement with a similar one. No big deal.

Luthier

Greg, you bought a Rolex??????????????

;)

greg_r

Luth - I haven't been without a Rolex rep in 10 years. Pay attention! ;)

trailboss99

Hi and welcome mate.

HOS is a great dealer for the cheapies and has been around for ever.

Some Asian MVT watches do use a cheaper case but some (such as the various subs) are right up there with the best.

There are basicly two types of China non chrono MVT, the A21J and the ETA clone. The 21J has a slower beat rate and

'ticks' at 6 beats per second rather than the 8 of the clone and of the gen. Most people can't spot the difference however

the clone is a more reliable MVT. I would however suggest you start off with a 21J, you can always sell it later.

Not sure on the quality of the PVD as the only PVD I have is a high end piece but I don't hear a lot of complaints.

The bezels are one way and although as a rule not as stiff as the gen most are stiff enough to hold their place when used.

The largest difference between rep and gen is that the rep needs to be sealed and tested before getting it wet. A trip to the

mall "watchstation" type booth will get it tested for you. Naturally it's a bad idea to take it anywhere near a gen Rolex dealer!

HOS is based in Malaysia unlike most of the dealers who are China based. Unless you are in TX or FL it is unlikely you will

have any trouble. Most dealers will re-send if customs seize your watch. Generally customs have more important things

to worry about.

You have done things the right way mate, read and then ask question before ordering. Don't be afraid to ask more, if we

don't ask we don't learn!

Regards, Col.

EDIT: Geeze, four posts while I was typing this ;)

KeNnY

Hi there ! Welcome to forum ;) and how I have been reading about the house of souvenirs, I think I will buy my next rep. there also ! Thanks for the info :)

Akira
Hi there ! Welcome to forum ;) and how I have been reading about the house of souvenirs, I think I will buy my next rep. there also ! Thanks for the info :)

I bought from Lawrence a 21j Concord C1

it broke and he replaced it with no questions and paid the freight !

great after sale service

KeNnY

akira, this makes this seller even more great ! ;) have you sent also the broken watch back to him ?

Akira
akira, this makes this seller even more great ! ;) have you sent also the broken watch back to him ?

The datefunktion just stopped working, which i told him via email...

He asked me to send him the broken watch via email and balanced me for the freight costs.

And after about 4 weeks (shipping from germany to malaysia and back) i got a repaired or new one,

i couldn't tell.

He is a very polite and helpfull person.

Ska

hey and welcome to RWG!

Lawrence is a great dealer and many swear by him! I'm sure you'll love whatever you order!

Good luck ;)

Ska

Member X

Hello!

Where are you in the US?

There are only a couple of Customs in the US that are a problem - Miami and Texas, I think?

Generally you're fine ;)

dingle

Miami sucked for me and Texas sucked for others. Just bad luck tho.

Welcome to the nuthouse ;)

skintrade

Hi and welcome :)