Sign in to follow this  
alfo982

Afraid of the customs

alfo982

Hi guys,

After a long time of silence… I’m back to ask you for a help.

4 Months ago I bought a Breitling navitimer from Mary: nice watch, but 2 weeks ago, when I was on holidays, the watch got stolen… and now I want to buy it again.

I’ve contacted Mary once again… but she told me that the Italian customs became more serious in the last times.

Now I’m afraid that the customs could find the item … and make me problems.

What do you think about it? Is it for you to dangerous nowadays?

I’m looking forward to hear you

Akira

you may ask some of the UK based members to reship the watch for you

costs a little more, but is nearly 100% safe

onzenuub

You could order the watch @ Precious Times or Narikaa, they ship from UK.

Del

I'm thinking Mary won't be too happy that her suggestion is getting broadcast..... :lol:

alfo982
I'm thinking Mary won't be too happy that her suggestion is getting broadcast..... :lol:

Oh shit... I didn't think about it...

If you want let cancel the topic and I will rewrite it with less details...

Brightlight

I don't think it is a good idea anyway. Customs are not stupid and they use Xray machines. A watch in something else is proof that it is illegal.

alfo982

However, why did you say that the shipping from US or UK is safer?

Do u think that the controls from China are more serious?

onzenuub

Yes because it is known @ customs that in China they produce rep goods. Shipping from UK means less checking by custsoms.

prestigewatchco

2 schools of thought about that BL personally I think if you state watch and they scan it chances are they will let it go unopened.

The down side is there is more chance they stop a watch than a toy

We are fortunate from Thailand in as much that we are not required to state contents on Air mail items only on EMS

onzenuub

Ask Kinkcaid for his car and hide the rep watch in that. Sure customs will not search that car. :lol:

andygt

There are no customs issues to worry about when shipping to other EU countries, I've forwarded watches for people in the Netherlands and Germany with no issues other than overly efficient German postal workers sending watches back that hadn't been collected from the post office.

I thought it was more that Italian postal workers are notoriously thieving bastards that was the problem anyway?

trailboss99

Not US, UK mate, the UK is part of the EU so no customs at all.

Ask if one of our UK members can re-ship it for you. That will be cheaper than buying from a UK based dealer.

I dislike the idea of shipping in toys/speakers etc. If it's picked up its not just importing contraband goods it's then also smuggling

a far worse thing to explain and very serious in most countries. As stated above, customs have xray machines, toys don't help much.

Col.

Brightlight

There is no customs between EU states so you are safer to buy from an EU dealer, or ship via a member in the UK where the customs don't worry too much about counterfeit watches.

KeNnY

the Italian customs are most worst customs in the world ! so I think, even when you would buy an notebook, they would dissemble it to pieces ! :lol: alfo982 rewrite your post, so the marys suggestion would not been written ! this site is tractable trough google... Regarding xrays, it is true.. Almost all packages these days are xrayed, so I think they always know what is there :Whistle: I think I have once was searching the web for marys suggestion, and it was pretty well packaged. If somebody had this package sent like this, and you are from Germany/middle europe, could you please PM me ? If it went well. But alfo982, you don't worry about customs, they can't do you nothing. You can say, you don't know this poster, and you don't know the contains (if they would find out something), but it is worth a try. Like Mary has stated, she can refund or resend item, if item seized by customs. Or try like here somebody suggested, resend item from any other european country, or buy from somebody european based.

alfo982
There are no customs issues to worry about when shipping to other EU countries, I've forwarded watches for people in the Netherlands and Germany with no issues other than overly efficient German postal workers sending watches back that hadn't been collected from the post office.

I thought it was more that Italian postal workers are notoriously thieving bastards that was the problem anyway?

And are you not afraid of customs problems?

andygt

As I said I would be more concerned with it getting stolen than stopped by customs.

A lot of sellers refuse to ship to Italy as so much stuff gets stolen there.

Are Italian customs any worse than Germany or Netherlands?

alfo982
But alfo982, you don't worry about customs, they can't do you nothing. You can say, you don't know this poster, and you don't know the contains (if they would find out something), but it is worth a try.

I’m not sure about it: I’ve read that in Italy this kind of things are crimes trated with penal code… so I think it’s to dangerous for me…

Pity… but for a watch it isn’t worth it

andygt

Get it sent to your address but have a false name on the parcel if you are that worried.

narikaa

I cringe every time I hear this bullshit

What do you seriously think these childish concealments bring about when spotted by a customs agent (who doesnt need the wisdom of King Solomon to unravel this less than clever plot)?

Instead of being the naive quasi-innocent online buyer of a 'Sexton Blake' - you now fast become a co-conspirator in a prima facie blatant smuggling endeavour

Wonderful!!

andygt

How about if you wrap the watch in a couple of bags of cocaine before putting in the toy?

That'll fool em!

KeNnY

this all customs inspection are also rate of luck. If posted via normal airmail, with no tracking number, it could be stolen, but not checked by customs. If you order registered airmail, it is 50% chance it will be checked by customs. And if EMS or any other private shipping company, it will be most likely to be checked (because of the priory of shipping, they can assume it is something valuable). Most of what customs doesn't like is the declared type of the shipped item, and the real inside. alfo982 you can ask Mary, if she already send some watch to the Italy, and how it went.. In my country, when package is seized by customs, I get notification of declaring the value of item (if not stated) and I can select, if I want to receive the shipment (with calculated tax - if any) or refuse the shipment, and the shipment would be sent back to the addresser (but I think that one customs worker would take it out, and say that parcel has been damaged during shipping :lol:) . So you always have a choice. Please check your law, if it is illegal to buy fake stuff. If it is not, you are clear (I think).

trailboss99
I cringe every time I hear this bullshit

What do you seriously think these childish concealments bring about when spotted by a customs agent (who doesnt need the wisdom of King Solomon to unravel this less than clever plot)?

Instead of being the naive quasi-innocent online buyer of a 'Sexton Blake' - you now fast become a co-conspirator in a prima facie blatant smuggling endeavour

Wonderful!!

Exactly! I have been making this point for years and no one gets it! You go from a fine to facing gaol time!

1kenny: it's different in IT mate. You can be stopped on the street and fined for wearing a replica watch or handbag.

As for re-writing the post. why? Do you honestly think that customs are unaware that people hide stuff in toy cars?

Col.

alfo982
1kenny: it's different in IT mate. You can be stopped on the street and fined for wearing a replica watch or handbag.

Hey... it is not so tragic the situation.

However... I feel too scared to incur in customs issues.

I've read that in Switzerland they can only stop your item... but not prosecute you.

Does anybody know that? It could be a solution for me (I’ve also an address in CH)

KeNnY

trailboss ouch, those are pretty hard laws ! :lol: that is why nobody outside from EU doesn't want to import things.. I need to check my law in Slovakia, how it is with fakes. For re-editing post, if Mary would want that everybody would know, how she ships items, she would post it by her self :Shocked:

valerian
I've read that in Switzerland they can only stop your item... but not prosecute you.

Does anybody know that? It could be a solution for me (I’ve also an address in CH)

This is correct, but only as far as the prosecution thingy goes. Shipping to Switzerland has about a 90 Percent chance of being seized so forget about this instantly! Watch industry lobby practically owns the customs!

Find yourself a European dealer or a nice person in UK willing to forward. It works perfectly inside EU.

And pls. edit your first post about Marys methods.

Kind regards

Val.