Sign in to follow this  
Massimo

Seconds at Six - avoid?

Massimo

Back in the old days of RWG1, everything I remember reading about reps with seconds at six, such as the Rolex Daytona, or the IWC Portuguese chrono, was to avoid them because of problems of modifying the 7750 movement to move the running seconds from 9 to 6.

Just out of general curiosity and because it's fun to talk about watches, is that still the case? If so how bad are they, assuming it's a 28,800 bph version of course.

If you need motivation, look how pretty this is:

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...roducts_id=3677

AllergyDoc

It's still the general consensus, though RolexAddict will argue with you. He knows how to take his apart and reassemble them and claims they work like a charm afterwards. He's even made them more water resistant.

You might get a good one or you might get a clunker. I had to send mine back to Josh for "repair."

Massimo
It's still the general consensus, though RolexAddict will argue with you. He knows how to take his apart and reassemble them and claims they work like a charm afterwards. He's even made them more water resistant.

You might get a good one or you might get a clunker. I had to send mine back to Josh for "repair."

Think I've seen a Daytona on your wrist at some point, Doc, and it looked very good. Not many of us are skilled enough to start doing fixes like RA though so caution is still advisable I suppose. Who knows what will happen in a year or two though. When I started with reps, all the discussion was about the v1 7750 movement in normal configuration being a 50-50 chancer, whereas that all went away with the fast beat version. Thanks for the info.

greg_r

I'm rather tempted by a 'vintage' pre-daytona secs@9 Rollie chrono. I'll admit that I prefer the look of the vintage models anyhow, but the option of hand-wind or A7750 secs@9 movement is also a factor, as I don't see the mileage in getting a rep serviced right after buying it...

AllergyDoc

If you're willing to put up with inaccurate dial spacing, the seconds-at-nine Daytonas are very stable.

Daytona2.jpg

Daytona%203.jpg

I also have this model that I bought from RolexAddict:

0e20efda01fc6ee2996c9f0072ad5989.image.733x550.JPG

It comes with a riveted bracelet. Notice the tach on the dial and bezel. It should only be on the dial for this model. If I keep it I'll see if I can get Andrew to send me a silver bezel insert.

It should look more like this:

blackpredaytona-1-257-lrg.jpg

Massimo

Some nice eye candy there :angry:

I've spent months looking at Subs, Sea Dwellers and Datejusts, yet now I realise I know very little about Daytonas. I naively didn't even know about the pre-Daytona reps.

oscarmadfish

37mm greg thats smaller than onzes dick

iabounty

And.............................................................................

Wait for it..............................................................................

Almost..........................................................................

Won't be long now.............................................................................

Here it comes...........................................................................

OSCAR WOULD KNOW... :angry::popcorn::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

iabounty

Sorry, couldn't help myself............. Had to give madfish a little "jab"......... felt good......... OKE. The Daytona has always facinated me as well but the horror of the problems reported with the sec. at 6 made me very "gun shy" on that watch.... Seconds at 9 I feel would be fine, especially that gold version that Doc has posted pics of........... I could do that.........After all I am a member of AARP..............

alphakazi

at that size, I'm not sure anyone would know it was hiding in the bushes

omni

I can only comment that over the years I've bought two seconds @ 6 Daytonas and both stopped working within 3-6 months. Bad luck or just all the extra gears to screw things up, don't know, just that was my personal experience. Actually, I've never had an Asian 7750 ever work flawlessly after 6 months although I never saw the reason to spend $$$ to have them initially serviced which may have made a difference, but what I've heard, even having the seconds @ 6 MVT serviced, its still a crapshoot.

greg_r

:D

trailboss99

If RA is correct, a copy of his findings placed in the hands of your watch maker should be enough for him to fix the sec@6 problems.

Oh, greg. The word on that new pommy watch maker over at RWG2 is in and it's all good THIS guy. Quotes below.

I had V3 DSSD fully serviced, he had to change one of the gears as it had 2 teeth missing,

(Swiss eta) cost me - £70.00 took 4 days.

Great guy, really helpful.

So there you go, sounds like a good 'un. Another rep friendly watch maker in the EU and UK based! He even does lume and has said that the A7750 is no problem to work on. With RA's tute he should have no probs righting the wrongs.

Col.

greg_r
If RA is correct, a copy of his findings placed in the hands of your watch maker should be enough for him to fix the sec@6 problems.

Oh, greg. The word on that new pommy watch maker over at RWG2 is in and it's all good THIS guy. Quotes below.

I had V3 DSSD fully serviced, he had to change one of the gears as it had 2 teeth missing,

So there you go, sounds like a good 'un. Another rep friendly watch maker in the EU and UK based! He even does lume and has said that the A7750 is no problem to work on. With RA's tute he should have no probs righting the wrongs.

Col.

Sounds good, Col - duly bookmarked for future need :D

Massimo
THIS guy. Quotes below.

Col.

Good tip, thank you. I'm often down that way through work too, so that could be ideal for me.

trailboss99

No worries. He does lume too!

Col.