Sign in to follow this  
TK01

Get a Genuine eventually ? or stick to Replicas

Wearing gens do nothing for me, wearing my gen Tag F1 feels no better than wearing my rep Breitling plus reps are just naturally more fun

It's not a feeling.....it is the knowing. And believe me that is a different feel :-)

rusty peters

I sold my Gen Breitling Superocean because it wasn't enhancing the experience. Midlevel gens make sense to me because you get a unique look and actual quality. The reps are more for fun and sampling something that I could never afford to own many of. I can't be a one Gen guy. I prefer to have a midlevel Gen or two and a few decent reps.

TK01

Yea I bet the feeling is mutual :) I guess I will just have to wait and see no hurry. I do like the idea of replicas its a hobby and I love watches. A lot days u get that person saying hey what time is it by the time the guy next to me looks at his iPhone I am already telling the lady the time :) I don't know I think one day I just might get a Gen. All depends how long of a use I get out of replica.

TK01

I am just thinking maybe one day I'll buy a Genuine Breitling wear it for 2 weeks, take it of put on my replica Super Avenger 48mm wear it for two weeks. And see if there is a actual feeling of confidence between replica and gen if not to much of difference I'll return the Gen.

rusty peters

I had a Gen and rep of the same watch. After the first two weeks, they felt the same to me. I do like having a warranty ant knowing that I can take it to watch makers and not get a verbal lashing.

Lt. Dan

I have both and love both. My intent is to give my gens to my son, and keep one that floats my boat.

Silva97

I have a mix of gens and reps. I have been looking at what will be my next gen (probably a Daytona) but having high quality reps for variety it gives the opportunity to test the options. To be honest since buying my latest reps since joining this forum my gens have become somewhat neglected. It's great to be able to have many watches to choose between and have my pick of gens for when the occasion arises.

Libertatia

I will definitely end up buying something expensive.... For some reason I think having 2 watches is too many, constantly thinking the other isn't getting the wrist time, and then thinking 'do I actually need the other watch?'. Having 1 gen which gets all the time will be perfect for me!

TK01

yea that's true I think that if there is that one watch that just makes you fell Happy and keeps your day better and you can were it everyday I aint to worried about having a huge collection=, and its true what they say about trying out few watches for only $300, then to buy a Gen for thousands of dollars. I noticed a lot of people on this forum end up with a lot of watches then start selling them but I guess that's the fun of it I want to stick top one brand and have 2-3 favorite watches and stick to them

TK01

Most people have one particular watch they love and end up getting it one day if its a middle class genuine.

TK01

I was also thinking some of the replicas are so close to the gen , u can always switch out the dial and the band and it will be pretty close to a gen other then the movement. Gen Re expensive to service!!

Ice_Man

To me, reps are like a guilty pleasure. I just feel good when I slip my $400 rep of a watch that normally costs $12000; its like giving a big f you to the greedy watch corporations. But off from the rebellion note, financially me its just easier to drop $350-$500 on a super rep than shell $10000 on one gen. I also find some joy in excitement when hunting for a new rep, and researching about the different versions and factories; to me I just don't get the same feeling researching a gen. Lastly, my father owns gen and on occasions throughout the past he would let me wear his around. To be honest for those times I was wearing those gens I was scarred to even move my arm. You break a rep or have it stolen, ehh its only $400...have your gen stolen; you'll be feeling that a little bit more.

LightGeek

A gen is indisputably water resistant but a rep is always a gamble. I ordered a Seiko diver for that very reason... Even though my 42 SOA is reasonably WR.

TK01

Yea I guess I didn't think about that a Gen gets stolen your screwed lol

tesmith2112

For me personally, I started off with low-end reps, then moved up the chain to better quality reps, now I spend more time shopping gens (sub $10K). I've had several $400 + rep lemons, so I like the warranty that comes from buying gens. The issue for me is, I cant afford to buy as many gens as I'd like, but I can go crazy buying reps. I like always having something in the mail headed my way, and reps are the only watches I can afford to have a steady stream coming in. Gens are more like 1-2 a year.

Edited by tesmith2112

flyr

I will definitely end up buying something expensive.... For some reason I think having 2 watches is too many, constantly thinking the other isn't getting the wrist time, and then thinking 'do I actually need the other watch?'. Having 1 gen which gets all the time will be perfect for me!

I think you will be very sad when your single watch is stolen,breaks,goes in for service,gets scratched,etc. :cry:

fetasigma

I have a mixed bag of gen and reps, some of my gens I have simply because they are not repped well or I just really like that particular watch, some of my reps are watches that I could never afford

Ishmael

I have a mixed bag of gen and reps, some of my gens I have simply because they are not repped well or I just really like that particular watch, some of my reps are watches that I could never afford

I can see what you mean when you say some of your reps are watches you could never afford. If you had all gens of the rep watches listed in your signature, you could use them to purchase a small island. Not to mention that beauty pictured in your avatar. Every time you post something and I see that pic I drool a little. :drool:

fetasigma

I can see what you mean when you say some of your reps are watches you could never afford. If you had all gens of the rep watches listed in your signature, you could use them to purchase a small island. Not to mention that beauty pictured in your avatar. Every time you post something and I see that pic I drool a little. :drool:

What's sad is my sig isn't even up to date lol

Ishmael

Ugh... more drool...

headhunt3r

With these new reps hitting north of 400, and sometimes 500, that's reaching affordable gen money - stuff like Steinharts, higher end Seikos, Victorniox, Hamilton... it's hard to justify spending that much on a rep for me.

Ishmael

With these new reps hitting north of 400, and sometimes 500, that's reaching affordable gen money - stuff like Steinharts, higher end Seikos, Victorniox, Hamilton... it's hard to justify spending that much on a rep for me.

I see your point, but the difference is that though a Steinhart is technically considered a gen (I have an OVM and I love it) the "gens" I'm referring to are more along the lines of vintage Daytonas and MilSubs; so spending $400 on a Steinhart or spending $90K on a 6263 (there's one on eBay right now) is obviously quite different, though they're both gens. And for a beauty like the one in fetasigma's avatar pic, I'd easily spend $500, cuz I'm never gonna spend $90K. But again, I see your point if your rep is repping a gen that's reasonably affordable - might as well get the gen.

TK01

yea I agree having something coming in the mail is like the best feeling ever !! Plus the feeling of getting another watch when that status says arrived !! Then u open it and the smell of genuine leather !! And the weight of the watch is a great feeling.... Seriously sometimes it's like the feeling Like Coffee How it smells and better it tastes !!

TK01

Here is a gen Super Avenger I tried on, $4,399.00 , just ordered the newer version of this watch thats a replica we will see the difference between $4400 and $365

A029CF95-22A8-4A0A-91D7-4871FAC59C2A.jpg

2E0DF6DA-1AC7-4A23-ABAA-677A87DD4EF4.jpg

TK01

Anyone that likes Victornox here is a Genuine I tried on that I still really like its a quarts 45mm sapphire. $550 I'd rather get save up little more then the replica.

F3D72779-29E4-43E5-8B10-1E5EC7E272AB_1.jpg

4B96EDFC-CCB9-4B31-BBDB-04C34A374E37.jpg

D00309A0-5B72-471E-93C5-07C9578BB11F.jpg