Sign in to follow this  
TK01

Get a Genuine eventually ? or stick to Replicas

myaz

The nice part of rep ownership is when you don't really care when the clasps get all scratched up or when you notice how beat they are after 9 months.

Blasphemy! i like some of my reps better than some of my gens, sick I must be.

hnic

i always wanted a gen breitling

couldnt afford one

bought some cheap breitling, hublot and bvulgari reps and liked them at that time

tried to save up for one but everytime i needed the money for something else

than i found out about these super reps

ordered the sosf v2 (because at that time the seawolf was out of stock)

loved the sosf, bought some other super reps like the superocean abyss 42 and even tried the submariner

than the seawolf v2 got released, ordered one right away

after i got that i sold all of my other watches

after that every other watch i owned looked small and felt too light

the seawolf was always my favorite watch and when i had the v2 rep ik new this was THE watch for me

i didnt think i could afford a gen any time soon and as a father i spoil my kids so saving up wasnt easy

than out of nowhere i got a prety nice bonus at work

paid some bills, fixed my car, gave some €'s to people close to me and spoiled myself by buying my grail

and for me, the gen feeling, look and just knowing its gen made me sell my beautiful rep seawolf

now i find it hard to buy another rep. im afraid it wont be the same no more

not being snobbish but thats just me. im completly okay with just owning 1 watch

and especially when that 1 watch is my grail

still love Reading the forum, to each his own

if you can afford it you might want to try it and see if its worth it for you

null-6.jpg

next to the rep

null-2.jpg

null-3.jpg

null_zps65d70a3a.jpg

Edited by hnic

TK01

I totally see where youre coming from sounds like me and you on same page I didn't want to go through that owning lots of watches spending lots money of particular brands then to find out I could of gotten a gen or a better Replica like Breitling because they are heavy agree and I do like that, I lift weights so I don't mind a watch more on the heavy side, I do want a leather band for my SA and as far as spoiling kids and paying other bills I am in the same boat, I would love to have one gen watch that I totally adore. one day my friend :) I take one day at a time

TK01

Breitling are nice watches I like them a lot and the history behind them is the best part, each individual watch for the most part has a story

bbwatch

IMO, I've not been collecting reps for long, but both Gens and reps lose value over time unless the Gen is made of a precious metal or has stones. Some Gens are an investment and those are the only ones I would buy.

SSTEEL

what do you guys think ? we all buy replicas but will you guys ever give in and buy Gen ? maybe just one a watch that you absolutely just adore and love ?

I usually end up frankening a particular rep if I really like it.

TK01

Value does not matter to me if I would ever buy a rep as far as loosing value all that matters is If I love the watch its looks good and most of all keeps very good rime

LightGeek
I agree Joran... why not have ten reps compared to 1 Gen

For me, because there is no Nomos gangreserve rep :)

Bash64

There will always be some of each in my drawer. I do find the gen pieces there are now getting more expensive.

nev848
Do you like your super ocean breitling ? That will be my next relica I love it ! Can't decide to get the one with sundials or without subdials. Also blue dial or black ?

B4DF89A9-F39A-47DC-9B98-1BFD1CE60817.jpg

I think you should get one with sundials but they are useless in the dark :)

As for sub-dials then for me without but I would say that as I have a V2 without.

affb6eadd14503bbbff661ef5f5cdcd9_zpsf223a6bb.jpg

yawn

Get gens you love that can never be replicated, then stick the rest with reps that can be modded.

chum_2000_uk

I've been flitting between reps and gens for probably the last 10 years. Generally Omega Seamasters, but have dabbled in TAG's etc too.

I've just bought another gen Seamaster - a 41mm SMPc with black dial. It's beautiful and I love it. I guess I could have got the replica of this, and from what I've seen it's pretty decent. But I've been hankering after another gen for ages. I would have loved a Rolex GMT-IIc, I thought it was my grail watch… but then I began looking at the SMPc's and for a snip of the money of the Rolex, there was a hell of a lot to like about it.

A two month old, unworn SMPc came up on eBay with box, papers and receipt and I couldn't resist. I'm delighted with it:

SMPc4.jpg

SMPc1.jpg

Cheers

OLDBLOKE74

I can honestly say that my gens are no better to adjust or are any more accurate than my reps .

I like to wear a different watch most days and the buzz of getting a new watch most weeks is part of this hobby for me.

A proper vintage watch now...... That is different gravy

chum_2000_uk

I can honestly say that my gens are no better to adjust or are any more accurate than my reps .

I can honestly say I've never had a rep that winds or adjusts as smoothly as this SMPc. Is it worth ~6 or 7 times more than a good rep version? No, probably not. But then I guess I could argue what would a decent rep do better than a £100 quartz sports watch, or even a £20 digital.

Wolf359

I have a somewhat guilty pleasure in buying Nixon automatic gens, which do not come cheap, especially the Automatic 2 and the ceramic automatic Big Player. The resale value of their gens is awful, but man I am drawn by their designs.

My line of gens (mostly seikos and Nixon's) are for work, while the reps are for weekend activities and formal wear. I'm not quite sure why, but I wouldn't wear a rep to work.

maze

i will get a gen breitling

TK01

Yea I don't know might have to get a gen Breitling one day

zufir

Reps are usually great if you want to have a feel of the thing before jumping on the gen ship. However, I do agree with the saying ''Why have 1 gen when you can have 10 reps''

chenner29

I bought a gen Ti PO a few months ago. I got my hands on a TC Sub maybe 2 weeks or so ago off the boards.

I've been rocking the TC a lot more than the PO...

TK01

Yes I bet try out all the reps and possibly finally decide what would be realistic. To buy a gen one day but then again why own one or more gen if u can buy many many reps !

gran

Get at genuine one...at least one (but then some reps to go with it if you must)

R4dcu

Interesting reading...!

Been asking myself the same thing as I contemplate my first rep purchase!

I think I'll still hold back on my holy grail to purchase as a gen so I have a goal to work towards, maybe 30th Birthday or big promotion etc...

PeterPotamus

what do you guys think ? we all buy replicas but will you guys ever give in and buy Gen ? maybe just one a watch that you absolutely just adore and love ?

I'm thinking in getting a gen really soon...

TK01

Gen are nice but to service one it cost an arm and a leg.

MrSimba

Got a 'gen' Rolex DSSD & a 'rep' Rolex DSSD

Hardly ever wear the 'gen' perhaps a couple of times a month, but wear the 'rep' daily

To put the 'AAA' 'rep' next to the 'gen' is chalk & cheese, there is literally no comparison, the steel colour on the 'rep' is wrong, the markers are the wrong size, the crown is the wrong size, the lugs are not correct, the date wheel is not correct, the font is too large, the 'original gas escape valve' on the 'gen' is perfectly 10-2, not so on the 'rep'

One was £8050, and one was £190 so hey whaddaya expect!

Wearing the 'gen' feels VERY different to wearing the 'rep'

The 'gen' is waterproof too!!!

But for a day-to-day wear I'd pick the 'rep' every time, if it gets a knock who cares? if an £8k watch gets a knock I'd cry!!!

Edited by MrSimba