Sign in to follow this  
TK01

Get a Genuine eventually ? or stick to Replicas

gran

Got a 'gen' Rolex DSSD & a 'rep' Rolex DSSD

Hardly ever wear the 'gen' perhaps a couple of times a month, but wear the 'rep' daily

To put the 'AAA' 'rep' next to the 'gen' is chalk & cheese, there is literally no comparison, the steel colour on the 'rep' is wrong, the markers are the wrong size, the crown is the wrong size, the lugs are not correct, the date wheel is not correct, the font is too large, the 'original gas escape valve' on the 'gen' is perfectly 10-2, not so on the 'rep'

One was £8050, and one was £190 so hey whaddaya expect!

Wearing the 'gen' feels VERY different to wearing the 'rep'

The 'gen' is waterproof too!!!

But for a day-to-day wear I'd pick the 'rep' every time, if it gets a knock who cares? if an £8k watch gets a knock I'd cry!!!

It is really woeful that your genuine DSSD is not getting more wrist time.

Truth is some of my own reps is not getting enough wristtime in fear theyll get messed up.

Are your reps getting 99,5 % of your wristtime?

alw

The reps really don´t provide satisfaction BUT neither do gens, in the long run, not for me anyway. So I´m selling my expensive gens and replace them with reps, putting the money into more productive use.

MrSimba

Truth is some of my own reps is not getting enough wristtime in fear theyll get messed up.

I'd love to wear my DSSD all the time but my jobs not a 'desk' job and involves chemicals that would ruin it in a matter of weeks & its just too nice (and too damn expensive!!!) for that :(

I had a few years back a loverly Omega Seamaster and the blue anodising on the bezel was gone within a couple of years along with the day to day knocks it took so learned my lesson then that 'gens' were 'Sunday best' watches & they do feel more 'special' when you take them out to wear them.

Also insurance on the 'gens' will not cover being stolen from a gym locker ect, outside of the house unless it is removed with force from the person it's not covered so another headache you just don't get with reps!

Rep's are easily replaceable, The AAA Ceramic Sub I had last year lasted literally a year at work and when it expired just replaced it with no tears, its why I love the reps you can enjoy a great watch without the ownership fears of wearing a 'gen' all the time.

But the 'rep' no matter how good will never be a 'gen' I bought the DSSD gen after having the 'rep' for about 6 months and loving it & even though I thought the 'rep' was a really good copy next to the 'gen' its easy to start spotting the details that they kinda hoped you'd not notice! the crown is obviously from the Sub & the '6' & '9' batons also! on the 'gen' these are much more pronounced! but without the 2 side by side you'd have to be very clued up to notice!

So yep its the 'rep' amost certainly gets 90% of the wrist time for the above reasons, but the 'gen' sure is a special piece, I'd like at some point a SS White Dial Daytona & will buy a 'rep' of that also so I can rotate between 'rep' and 'gen' depending on whether its going to be in a gym locker or restaurant!

:)

Edited by MrSimba

gran

I'd love to wear my DSSD all the time but my jobs not a 'desk' job and involves chemicals that would ruin it in a matter of weeks & its just too nice (and too damn expensive!!!) for that :(

I had a few years back a loverly Omega Seamaster and the blue anodising on the bezel was gone within a couple of years along with the day to day knocks it took so learned my lesson then that 'gens' were 'Sunday best' watches & they do feel more 'special' when you take them out to wear them.

Also insurance on the 'gens' will not cover being stolen from a gym locker ect, outside of the house unless it is removed with force from the person it's not covered so another headache you just don't get with reps!

Rep's are easily replaceable, The AAA Ceramic Sub I had last year lasted literally a year at work and when it expired just replaced it with no tears, its why I love the reps you can enjoy a great watch without the ownership fears of wearing a 'gen' all the time.

But the 'rep' no matter how good will never be a 'gen' I bought the DSSD gen after having the 'rep' for about 6 months and loving it & even though I thought the 'rep' was a really good copy next to the 'gen' its easy to start spotting the details that they kinda hoped you'd not notice! the crown is obviously from the Sub & the '6' & '9' batons also! on the 'gen' these are much more pronounced! but without the 2 side by side you'd have to be very clued up to notice!

So yep its the 'rep' amost certainly gets 90% of the wrist time for the above reasons, but the 'gen' sure is a special piece, I'd like at some point a SS White Dial Daytona & will buy a 'rep' of that also so I can rotate between 'rep' and 'gen' depending on whether its going to be in a gym locker or restaurant!

Thank you for the reply

Sounds like you have found the perfect system that works well for you and is both rational and understandable for me!

TK01

I don't understand how reps don't satisfie ?

jmac3789

someday... gen portuguese chrono for me

TK01

Nice one.

LightGeek

Reps just lack a certain refinement. For example, there is no way in heck you'll find an unfinished or sharp edge in a gen. I've had lots of gen quartz, then dozens upon dozens of reps. Finally I looped in a gen Nomos, then recently a gen baby orange monster, and earlier this week an Orient Star. In the same week I got a "pretty good" Black Bay (plus other reps). They just don't feel the same.

Monffo

I think there's room for both. I have a small collection of 4 trips and have just pulled the trigger on a gen. I still get pleasure from the repos and will buy more. Great fun.

Hornet

I think that even if I won the lottery I'd not buy gens, I'd be shit scared of damaging them all the time and I can't see the point of having the watches and not wearing them, unless they have sentimental value (like my grandads retirement watch...). With reps I can satisfy my desire to have lots of different watches relatively cheaply...

TK01

Yea I see your point hornet that's a great point.

James.

Reps are generally 90-95% to the Gen, its just where you be live the additional outlay is with it. Fit finish and longevity (generally) vs the brand name and perceived associated cudos. To each their own.

James.

Reps are generally 90-95% to the Gen, its just where you belive the additional outlay is with it. Fit finish and longevity (generally) vs the brand name and perceived associated cudos. To each their own.

Apply some point to another scenario, say buying a car or a holiday. You can only use one at a time, I believe may as well get the best you can, finances permitting.

Reps are generally 90-95% to the Gen, its just where you belive the additional outlay is with it. Fit finish and longevity (generally) vs the brand name and perceived associated cudos. To each their own.

Apply some point to another scenario, say buying a car or a holiday. You can only use one at a time, I believe may as well get the best you can, finances permitting.

James.

Boys and girls, that's what happens when you type on a phone with multiple sessions active in different themes :facepalm:

Hornet

And that last sentence is key for me, love Panerias but whilst I could afford to buy a gen I can have 10 reps for the price of a second hand gen....

....this is all horses for courses, just like tattoos and deck shoes!

Yea I see your point hornet that's a great point.

Why thank you!

Louribal
I doubt I'm likely to get a high priced gen just because I would feel obligated to wear it all the time. There are too many really nice watch designs out there to limit myself to one type. :sad:

I can say that having a gen 116610 and a gen breitling so abyss, I wear the most my Pam 243 v2 :))

By the way I have a patek 5726 on order, excited for that one!

TK01

This shows me that even if u have a gen still ppl seem to wear the e

Reps more

cuchulain36

I have a mix, my Gen watches are mostly JDM Seiko with the MM300 being a grail watch I own, I just bought a Rolex Milgauss rep mainly to see if I want to buy the gen. I do plan on getting a couple PAM reps because I like the way the watches look but would never pay 6K+ for a steel watch with an ETA movement.

Dallas

I too have multiple gens and a lot of reps I have put together. I tend to wear my reps more. After going through the trouble of creating them, they are special..

My gens include 3 SeaMaster 300s, SpeedMaster, Marathon SARS, and about 6 other upper and mid brand watches.

Edited by Dallas

TK01

Hmm I would just have to buy a gen and see the difference

tumi10

Both. As for a gens, Tags and Tissot are good values.

UGLY

Many seem to take the view that they would never buy a gen if it was repped well. On the other hand, one reason some buy reps is to get a feel for the watch before they plop down big bucks on the gen.

I think the answer to rep or gen very much depends on the particular watch at hand.

For some watches, the movement is more important to me than anything else. I'm thinking Seiko Hi-Beat/ spring drive, Omega co-axial, among others.

Some watches would satisfy an historical interest I have in a particular watch. For example, Speedy Pro or Seiko VFA.

These are some instances where I can't see a rep scratching the itch for me, no matter the quality or price.

Walesy

I have 4 gen Breiltings now (bought a Superocean during the week) and Tag Heuers. I love Breilting, I just love the design style etc. but reps never did it for me I'm afraid. However, I have a few rep Panerai's and a PO...which do me as I don't like them enough to buy a gen...if that makes sense??

However..after seeing my PO rep from Andrew...I am now looking at Gen's for some reason but I will hold this thought for now LOL as her indoors will kick my balls if I turn up with another Gen.

What I would say...pick your fav rep model...leave it 3 months and if it still is...buy a gen. That's what I do, I always give it 3 months. Hope this makes sense and youre not think it some Scots guy on a pointless rant?

jeremylin17

after all the reps, i couldnt hide the urge to buy the gen, so started saving up for the gen at the end

herb

This is a fantastic thread, and pretty much answers something I had been thinking about since joining last month. I study economics, and one of the arguments against reps is that they take away market from gens. Now, as soon as I started getting into watches, I could see this is a stupid argument.

My buying a rep Nautilus does not eat into Patek's profits, because I never would have even considered buying a 30K watch in the first place. However.... the taste for watches can actually develop into true demand down the road (as incomes go up, people get "real jobs" etc. )

So the reverse ought to be true. Put another way, the rep hobby should, in equilibrium, actually increase the long-run demand for gens. This effect should be proportionate to the wedge between cost of rep and cost of gen. So a $20 rep on a $40 gen should always cannibalize, whereas a $200 rep on a $20,000 gen should generally drive sales of gen.

Sorry to ramble, I got all excited in a geeky sorta way. I may run a proper empirical study on this.