Sign in to follow this  
TK01

Get a Genuine eventually ? or stick to Replicas

Phantom5

I think I have reached the point where I want to go for gen.....we will see

Djebzen

Nowadays I don't have the money for a gen, but when I finish my university education and get a stable income Im hoping to buy a gen Omega Seamaster or Rolex Sub

Seand83

I plan on getting Gen's but I will never give up on Rep's its a hobby that I love so I can't see myself walking away from it.

James.

RWG.bz is the hobby, replica watches are just a byproduct.

Realism

RWG.bz is the hobby, replica watches are just a byproduct.

hi

Paparolf

I have a gen rolex Deepsea which I love to wear, however it is great to wear my reps if I am doing something that may damage the gen, like manual work, cycling, going out to get trollied etc. then all my reps get worn.

TK01

Well guys ?

kleban

When I can afford it I will definitely be buying a gen Rolex - I keep looking at them used and it's only a matter of time, I hope

Daywatch

from the gen forum...talking about a new 55k Patek:

07.03.2014 My Patek is broken......

Worrisome....I have had this watch for less than a year, and the most extreme environment it has been in is my office. Never knocked or banged, and always treated well.

I noticed that on the 30th of April it read date as 31st, which I thought odd but chalked it up to how it handled the 30-day month.

Then a few days ago in mid day looked at the watch and it looked like it was in between May and June on the month calender.

Tried resetting, but month wouldn't advance smoothly.

I took it to AD dealer today, and they are sending back to Patek, but said it could take "months, as in many months."

WTF!?

Has anyone had similar problems with Patek?

Am I just the unlucky one?

When I get this watch back maybe I should consign it and move on?

I have the same problem with my 5711. I bought it new in Jan. '14 and a month later the date was getting stuck between two dates. I contacted my AD and was told to bring it in next time I'm in town. I still wear it daily and for 2-3 months it appeared like the problem went away however, just last week it started up again. This is problem that some 5711 watches but not all. Yes, I was also told it would take a few months before getting it back from Patek.

I got my Patek back yesterday.

Went to pick it up from the AD.

They handed it to me in a sealed little plastic baggy.

Charged me $80 for shipping, and said proudly that the work was covered under warranty.

I asked what was wrong with it, what did they have to fix?

She shrugged her shoulders and said they don't tell us that.

I asked if there was any paperwork...no.

I looked at the watch, and it was the same in appearance, no buffing or polishing of the bracelet for those fine little scratches, rub marks.

The time, date, day, month, moon phase weren't set.

I looked at the sales lady and the owner of the jewelry store and said,

"I buy a $55K steel watch that is worn in an office setting for 9 months, breaks, goes off to repair for ~3 months, no one can tell me what was wrong with it, you charge me for shipping, the watch wasn't even cleaned, and you can't even be bothered to set it to the correct time, etc. I am very unimpressed with Patek, and the service attached to this supposedly hallowed company."

To which he said with a wry grin, "Well, it's like having a Ferrari."

Tichymeloun

At the end we all end up with the Gen that is if you can afford one ofcourse. But the rep hobby is so much fun. And if you have a Gen......there is nothing more to dream of so...........what is it that you/ we want, lol.

Mine Gen is saying hello :-)

e5a6acc9c0f3b915f53d2102111e9891_zps2648d4ba.jpg

Well I started with gens many years back, but found-out, getting my 3714 rep a few months ago, that reps can get me nearly equal satisfaction :-) And browsing more about reps I discovered you guys!!

Sharing reps fun pleases me even more :-)

Dendo

from the gen forum...talking about a new 55k Patek:

07.03.2014 My Patek is broken......

Worrisome....I have had this watch for less than a year, and the most extreme environment it has been in is my office. Never knocked or banged, and always treated well.

I noticed that on the 30th of April it read date as 31st, which I thought odd but chalked it up to how it handled the 30-day month.

Then a few days ago in mid day looked at the watch and it looked like it was in between May and June on the month calender.

Tried resetting, but month wouldn't advance smoothly.

I took it to AD dealer today, and they are sending back to Patek, but said it could take "months, as in many months."

WTF!?

Has anyone had similar problems with Patek?

Am I just the unlucky one?

When I get this watch back maybe I should consign it and move on?

I have the same problem with my 5711. I bought it new in Jan. '14 and a month later the date was getting stuck between two dates. I contacted my AD and was told to bring it in next time I'm in town. I still wear it daily and for 2-3 months it appeared like the problem went away however, just last week it started up again. This is problem that some 5711 watches but not all. Yes, I was also told it would take a few months before getting it back from Patek.

I got my Patek back yesterday.

Went to pick it up from the AD.

They handed it to me in a sealed little plastic baggy.

Charged me $80 for shipping, and said proudly that the work was covered under warranty.

I asked what was wrong with it, what did they have to fix?

She shrugged her shoulders and said they don't tell us that.

I asked if there was any paperwork...no.

I looked at the watch, and it was the same in appearance, no buffing or polishing of the bracelet for those fine little scratches, rub marks.

The time, date, day, month, moon phase weren't set.

I looked at the sales lady and the owner of the jewelry store and said,

"I buy a $55K steel watch that is worn in an office setting for 9 months, breaks, goes off to repair for ~3 months, no one can tell me what was wrong with it, you charge me for shipping, the watch wasn't even cleaned, and you can't even be bothered to set it to the correct time, etc. I am very unimpressed with Patek, and the service attached to this supposedly hallowed company."

To which he said with a wry grin, "Well, it's like having a Ferrari."

Interesting - I have a friend who was quoted $15K to repair his Patek (they needed to make new parts as this was 100 year old watch)........

......but the main issue was that Patek warned it would take 3 years to do the repair!!!

Dendo

When I can afford it I will definitely be buying a gen Rolex - I keep looking at them used and it's only a matter of time, I hope

i think a DSSD is on the cards for me.....

tonyh7

Had an interesting chat with our local watch repairer. He told me that some guys brought him in a Rollie to repair. He's not a fan of Rollies - thinks the movements are prone to damage and expensive to repair. However he opened it up and found a gen eta movement that had been made up with non original components - one of which had failed. He got a gen eta part - it fitted and away it went. Point is till he opened it he hadn't spotted it was a rep - and the man knows his watches. Reps can be very good.

Also you've got to question the price of gens - if Steinhart can produce a watch with an eta movement, superlume, good crystal and certified professional diver water resistance for 350 euros, how come other watches are so expensive? It's the gap between value and price that creates the market for reps.

TK01

Yea we had a guy on here not to long ago said he had a $15,00 rolex it broke and needed service. Sent it to rolex and he got it back after few months. $3500 later the bill came.

Theduke.williams

I would love to get a genuine Moonie, twin Sub dial type.

Haven't seen a good rep of these. Do the a7750 type have a correctly functioning rhs sub dial? I think not!

black263

I would love to get a genuine Moonie, twin Sub dial type.

Haven't seen a good rep of these. Do the a7750 type have a correctly functioning rhs sub dial? I think not!

You think right.

Hbaxter

what do you guys think ? we all buy replicas but will you guys ever give in and buy Gen ? maybe just one a watch that you absolutely just adore and love ?

You will get a gen and realize the value is there with Rolex. I paid $6000 for a 5 month old ND SuB with boxes and papers from an online trusted Dealer. I tool it on to "sell it" and was offered $5000. So I have $1000 of my own money on my wrist. this won't work with any watch but the Rolex Sub which is the easiest watch to sell. As an added benifit once friends and people in general know your Rolex is real they will assume the rest of your collection is as well.

I bought a Rolex Replica and wore it enough to know I wanted the real thing. Did the math and the value was there for the Submariner. I don't think even a DJ or Milguass would have the same resale.

The "horror" stories of RSC charging thousands is silly. IF a Rolex is tampered with non authorized parts and is sent back to a RSC. They WILL ONLY make the watch original and THAT will cost a small fortune. So if you are going to mod a Rolex you don't send it to Rolex for service. They won't service modded watchs except to un mod them. A normal complete overhaul service on a GMT is around $700. Because the watch holds it's value over the years. Verified RSC Service every three or four years is well worth the cost and will bring top dollar when trading or reselling. Some of that service money will be returned in the sale price.

Edited by Hbaxter

Bidle

what do you guys think ? we all buy replicas but will you guys ever give in and buy Gen ? maybe just one a watch that you absolutely just adore and love ?

You will get a gen and realize the value is there with Rolex. I paid $6000 for a 5 month old ND SuB with boxes and papers from an online trusted Dealer. I tool it on to "sell it" and was offered $5000. So I have $1000 of my own money on my wrist. this won't work with any watch but the Rolex Sub which is the easiest watch to sell.

It sounds so simple, but in general Rolex keeps great value. Still it's a world on it's own like all brands. There are also many other watches, which keep their value. Than again it depends more on the model. Also a $1000,- is still a lot of money for most of us.

As an added benifit once friends and people in general know your Rolex is real they will assume the rest of your collection is as well.

Well, great you think of it as a benefit.

I bought a Rolex Replica and wore it enough to know I wanted the real thing. Did the math and the value was there for the Submariner. I don't think even a DJ or Milguass would have the same resale.

All depending on the model,....

A normal complete overhaul service on a GMT is around $700. Because the watch holds it's value over the years. Verified RSC Service every three or four years is well worth the cost and will bring top dollar when trading or reselling. Some of that service money will be returned in the sale price.

Well,.. I only service them via my Dealer when they are still in warranty. Otherwise my watchmaker will take care of them. It not only saves money and time, but he knows exactly how to treat them.

Your pretty much right about the mods.

Oh and don't forget to post a nice wrist shot in the Vette!

Edited by Bidle

Hbaxter

I understand the logic. I like Daytonas and I have four reps. I also have a gen Daytona, and somehow (don't ask me how) that gen justifies the reps.

You get it.

Nice pick up, nothing beats a gen and youve bought a lovely timeless watch that's the epitome of versatile

NOTHING does beat a Gen. Just KNOWING it's a gen makes a huge difference in how one feels. I feel fake when wearing a rep. I have two versions of the same watch. One Gen one Rep. Definitely feel different wearing them. The gen feels like a full head of hair. The rep feels like a comb over. I buy reps to wear them until I decide if I want the gen or not. Then I give them to my nephew when I buy the gen. He loves them. I won't resell a Rep because it's illegal in this country. and not worth the trouble for a couple hundred dollars. So yeah for me they have no value except to wear until they break or I get the gen and give it away,I never resold a rep and won't

Sounds like you are buying a genuine Rolex to please others, as if you are vain. Wear what the hell you like, and to hell with what others think is my motto.

I bought a gen to FEEL better about myself. I did not want to feel fake and that is HOW I FELT wearing the rep. It's not about others. All I am saying is The bonus is, if they ask, and yes some do, I don't have to stammer or stutter or lie and get outed as someone trying to prove I am something I am not. Someone who buy s $8000 watches,or reps of such to wear and try to pass off as real.

One of my favorite Gens is the Seiko. I bought that because I did not want to drop $9000 on a Rolex white face YM at the tiime

There is a great reason to buy reps. Some of them are so obscure and made so well, buying the gen is silly. But with Rolex that is not so and the gen is the only way to go and is assumed fake. That may be ok for rep wearers but its not ok for me to be outed wearing a fake Rolex

Edited by Hbaxter

Hbaxter

I have a gen rolex Deepsea which I love to wear, however it is great to wear my reps if I am doing something that may damage the gen, like manual work, cycling, going out to get trollied etc. then all my reps get worn.

That is a good reason to keep a rep as aback up for those times when one would be afraid of a mugging or be in a place where a watch can get damaged,

Bidle

I really love some of the reactions and the never ending story about fakes vs gens. :)

Sometimes I also get asked if it's real and those conversation go more or less as followed:

Other: "Is it a real rolex?"

Me: "What this watch,... not not all! A real one may cost over a couple of hundred!"

Other: "A couple of hundred,... no even thousands!!!"

Me: "What??? That's just crazy!!

Edited by Bidle

Hbaxter

I really love some of the reactions and the never ending story about fakes vs gens. :)

Sometimes I also get asked if it's real and those conversation go more or less as followed:

Other: "Is it a real rolex?"

Me: "What this watch,... not not all! A real one may cost over a couple of hundred!"

Other: "A couple of hundred,... no even thousands!!!"

Me: "What??? That's just crazy!!

I love it when they think it's fake!

HA great story and yeah it depends on who is asking and where. There are places I will claim it's fake but I wear fakes as test drives for the real thing Which is why I don;t buy Patel or Panari. Don't want the real ones.. Other places if asked I would admit it's real...Like an AD I am trying to get to discount a Brietling. Other times I will give it to an AD to look at my "fake" ( GEN)Rolex "I just bought it at a garage sale for $75". The expression when they cannot find a fake tell is priceless.

Edited by Hbaxter

Bidle

For me it doesn't depend on who is asking or where,...

Hbaxter

I bought my Rolex Gen because it is a good value. $6000 for a $7500 watch with boxes and warranty card dated 9/2014. I was offered $5000 for the watch when I took it to a jeweler to "sell" (to see what it as with wholesale. I am wearing the real thing for the cost of four Chinese counterfeits. As Rolex raises their prices, used ones will go up as well. So it is a good financial decision to buy a gen Rolex f you can afford it with money you will never need anyway. People who bought many Rolex gens 8 years ago can get what they paid for them.

I don't think Brietling is the same value so i would look for one of those used. They are worth a little over 1/2 of what they cost used.

So the answer is yeah if you can afford it easily there is nothing like a gen on your wrist. no $300 counterfeit watch will give you the same pride of ownership. Plus the stigma attached to wearing fake watches is not so honorable. A little less than wearing a toupee......LOL

Now there is a cost associated with ownership of any fine watch. Cost of service. If you have ot ask what an S Class Mercedes get for gas mileage ,you probably should not buy one. One great thing about gens is they can ALWAYS be rebuilt and repaired for much less than the cost of a new one. Depending on the handset a Rolex costs about $400 every three to four years for service IF you want to do. Many don't until something goes wrong and like a car that could be very costly.

All in all the best practice is to test ride the Gen you think you want with a rep. If you don't like it you blew $300 instead of $3000. I bought a $160 counterfeit Sub. I realized I wanted the sold links and glide lock clasp and did not want the cyclops. So I bought the late model gen that the rep helped me decide on. I will give the rep away or trash it.

Personally I don't want anyone in my circles to think I wear Counterfeit watches. Nor would I want to lie if asked. IMO Counterfeit watches are made to deceive, Replicas are made with permission such as model cars, and various replicated products that are clearly defined and shown to be replicas.

To the OP BUY THE GEN WHEN YOU CAN AFFORD IT. NO COUNTERFEIT WATCH WILL MAKE YOU FEEL THE SAME.....EVER Counterfeit watches are like bad hair pieces, they say a lot more about the wearer than the watch.

Edited by Hbaxter