Sign in to follow this  
dfq23

Whats the consensus opinion on recouping extra shipping costs on m2m

dfq23

Often threads on m2m where people have a C and R but have priced the watch to include the triangle shipping fees they initially paid which usually makes the watch more expensive than it costs new from a TD with normal postage.

What's the general opinion on this? Is it fair to try and get back what you paid if you have misfortune to live in a country with strict customs or is it a case of tough shit I can get a new one cheaper

Mazz

Dont like it dont buy it

jdog

Personally I dont include and dont think it should be. We pay whatever shipping we do to receive a watch in hopes we keep it. If we don't keep it so be it. I dont charge a "destination" fee when I sell a car I bought new and was charged at time of purchase.

Amit

As long as it's not profiteering than it's a case of the market decides if it's fair or not.

They may be willing to pay if they are in the same country and would incur that cost anyway, or pay the extra to receive the item quicker.

BaggyPants

With new watches, I have always eaten shipping costs, taken the retail price I paid for the watch and discounted it, then added the postage it will cost me.

Example:

New Watch £200

Postage £30

Total £230

Price watch as C&R £180

Postage in UK and EU £9

Total £189

With used watches, I usually post it up at the same price it cost me. So if it was £50 posted, I sell it for £50 posted, so I eat the postage.

KeNnY

if I was from Germany, or France where customs are strict , and I don't have any other way of transshipping the watch via UK, and I want it now , and the watch looks good , and the price will be around the same, then why not.

:)

g.man

I don't care if the original purchaser paid for the watch to be hand delivered on a silk pillow by supermodels or if they had it sent by airmail.

That's their business. The price of a watch on M2M sales should only ever be based on the actual current value of the watch in question. After that, if the seller wants to factor in the cost of shipping the watch to me, then that's fine.

But I am not, and I repeat, I am not going to pay for a seller to recoup their original shipping costs from a TD. That's their loss.

Other boards may differ in their sales principles, but over here profiting from the sale on a generic piece has long been frowned upon and is contrary to the spirit of the board. It's one of the main things that differentiates this board from it's neighbours. Well that and the boobies.

regards

g.man

dfq23

I don't care if the original purchaser paid for the watch to be hand delivered on a silk pillow by supermodels or if they had it sent by airmail.

That's their business. The price of a watch on M2M sales should only ever be based on the actual current value of the watch in question. After that, if the seller wants to factor in the cost of shipping the watch to me, then that's fine.

But I am not, and I repeat, I am not going to pay for a seller to recoup their original shipping costs from a TD. That's their loss.

Other boards may differ in their sales principles, but over here profiting from the sale on a generic piece has long been frowned upon and is contrary to the spirit of the board. It's one of the main things that differentiates this board from it's neighbours. Well that and the boobies.

regards

g.man

Don't they have vintage franken boobies elsewhere?

g.man

regards

g.man

Don't they have vintage franken boobies elsewhere?

Yes, but they're covered in steak sauce.

<RJ>

Dont like it dont buy it

+1

Im sure some buyers that have fears buying from china are willing to pay some extra to have someone do it for them. I dont se the wrong in this.

And to be honest, At some occations I would gladly have paid a few extra $ to be free of the sometimes never ending process of crappy payment processors, QC with issues, Returns to factories, Etc, etc.

Odyseus

regards

g.man

+1000 Spot On !!! :)

Pseudonym

regards

g.man

+1000 Spot On !!! :)

Sir, I concur.

Jonnybaws

Whenever I've sold on m2m I've never attempted recoup the cost of shipping the watch from seller/TD to me.

For example.

If I bought a watch for $188 + $45 shipping.

I'd most likely sell it for $180 (if CnR) or less if I had worn it.

But, like others have said, the market will decide if the price quoted by a seller is acceptable or not, if it is, it will sell, if not, it won't.

_DC_

Shipping expenses incurred by original purchase shouldn't be factored in to asking price on M2M, that would likely be seen as profiteering and that's just bad form. If you want to charge extra to a buyer for the cost of shipping the watch to them then that's another matter, but why should they pay for your original shipping costs? Most people go to M2M to avoid the extra costs of shipping from China so that rather defeats the object!

DC

Libertatia

For me the product and service is one package. Therefore I sell it as one package. A $150 watch is never just $150, but always will be $175... Postage is part of the value. You can't avoid it. Unless you get a pigeon to fly it for you.

Trüffi
if I was from Germany, or France where customs are strict , and I don't have any other way of transshipping the watch via UK, and I want it now , and the watch looks good , and the price will be around the same, then why not.

Perfect answer

Pseudonym
For me the product and service is one package. Therefore I sell it as one package. A $150 watch is never just $150, but always will be $175... Postage is part of the value. You can't avoid it. Unless you get a pigeon to fly it for you.

I disagree. Postage is not the commodity, it's a cost involved in the transaction. A fee involved in procuring the goods you wish to receive.

If I buy a car for 50k and pay 1k to have it delivered, that then does not value my car at 51k does it? No.

Same rules apply in this instance.

dfq23

Perfect answer

But what if, as was the case today, the watch is listed on m2m at a price that is more than it costs new from a TD including trans shipping?

PaneraiAddict

regards

g.man

^^^ THIS!! +1

Jonnybaws

I disagree. Postage is not the commodity, it's a cost involved in the transaction. A fee involved in procuring the goods you wish to receive.

If I buy a car for 50k and pay 1k to have it delivered, that then does not value my car at 51k does it? No.

Same rules apply in this instance.

My thoughts too...

But it's been said before, value is in the eye of the beholder, if its something you like and at price you deem reasonable, then no one is really getting ripped off... are they?

black263

I look at what it would cost you to buy the watch from a TD and that includes postage and PP fees if appropriate. I then knock off about 15% and sell it at that price inc delivery. So you have the choice of buying from me with next working day delivery or paying 15% more to buy from a TD with a couple of weeks delay and customs risk. Your choice.

StormyNight

Depends on the watch and the circumstances. As with anything else in life, if I can afford it at the time and I ant it enough I'm willing to pay the premium.

court

Price stated should be the price. Who cares what the seller paid or how much shipping was or a new strap or replacement spring bars. By all means describe the watch and any extras in the package but don't bother telling me what those cost. Just tell me how much you want for it.

Well that's my opinion anyway

Tekkes

I sometimes wonder if people recupping those costs do it more then once. If they buy 2-3 watches and then recup the shipping cost 2-3 times. Never seen someone state '+ shipping cost (45$/#watches)'

RichardMiami

This is my OPINION, and not rules (although rules are referred to)

There are several issues in my mind about this:

1. Is the base price of the watch more than a TD's base price? If so, it is usually profiteering and therefore not allowed here. As most of you well know, RepGeek and others allow mark ups above going TD price, we do not.

2. Is the cost of shipping, PP and other ancillary fees openly disclosed and discounted? If it is, then fine, if not, then it causes massive confusion.

Example: I buy a watch for $300 from a TD, and pay $25 in other fees (shipping, etc.). I try to sell for $325 but I I say shipping and PP on the buyer. This is a form of profiteering.

If I try to sell the watch for $325, but with shipping and PP included, then I am ok.

3. Exchange rates should not be factored. Again, this adds confusion. The price and currency preferred should be clearly stated and let the buyers work out exchange rates.

We do dozens of M2M sales a day, without confusion and without incident. Every once in a while, a Sales post causes a shitstorm. In every one I have been involved in as Moderator, I ALWAYS try to get clarification and edits from the poster via PM before nuking a thread. Based on those conversations, I may allow the thread, or I may nuke it, or do other stuff.