Sign in to follow this  
dfq23

Whats the consensus opinion on recouping extra shipping costs on m2m

RichardMiami

Price stated should be the price. Who cares what the seller paid or how much shipping was or a new strap or replacement spring bars. By all means describe the watch and any extras in the package but don't bother telling me what those cost. Just tell me how much you want for it.

Well that's my opinion anyway

I understand this opinion, but the culture here at RWG is different. We care how much the seller paid, and prohibit profit. That is because we consider RWG a community of mutual help, and not a market place. This has been debated, discussed and deliberated many times.

There are other sites that allow it, and all are welcome to try to make money at those sites. But the values here are different.

dfq23

Price stated should be the price.  Who cares what the seller paid or how much shipping was or a new strap or replacement spring bars.  By all means describe the watch and any extras in the package but don't bother telling me what those cost.  Just tell me how much you want for it.

Well that's my opinion anyway

I understand this opinion, but the culture here at RWG is different.  We care how much the seller paid, and prohibit profit.  That is because we consider RWG a community of mutual help, and not a market place.  This has been debated, discussed and deliberated many times.

There are other sites that allow it, and all are welcome to try to make money at those sites.  But the values here are different.

Here Here! RWG is definitely a special case amongst the rep forums (forii?)Case in point is the Aliexpress speedmaster HWG sold on here yesterday. We all know on here how much they cost as I posted it to share a bargain with you guys. HWG sold it for what it cost him even though same watch is $158 plus shipping from some TDs.He could have quite easily listed it for much more elsewhere and they would have been none the wiser.I myself sold a C and R DSOTM quartz for what it cost me the other day. Same watch but with incorrect steel and not black case is for sale on RG from an associated trader bod for lot more than I sold mine for. Again, I'm RWG through and through and put it on here rather than make and easy £30 profit by still undercutting the new price.

KeNnY
if I was from Germany, or France where customs are strict , and I don't have any other way of transshipping the watch via UK, and I want it now , and the watch looks good , and the price will be around the same, then why not.

:)

Perfect answer

But what if, as was the case today, the watch is listed on m2m at a price that is more than it costs new from a TD including trans shipping?

it depends then if the model is still available , and it is not out of stock, and again maybe the time , wait one or two weeks with transshipping from TD, or get it now with a bit overprice.

But to tell truth , transshipping from dealers cost around 50 USD.

I personally would buy it from dealer, to have some or any insurance regarding QC and to be 100% be sure it is new watch :)

dfq23

Know that you mean for perhaps a v2 soh or similar but this was new model watch available from all dealers and even with $55 for trans shipping factored in a new one was still cheaper.

Of course no one minds a premium on top if you have worked your magic on a watch mate

RichardMiami

Of course no one minds a premium on top if you have worked your magic on a watch mate

Clarification:

Modding costs can be recovered.. but not profited upon either.

dfq23

Clarification:

Modding costs can be recovered.. but not profited upon either.

Ooops. I meant over price of a stock one

ag69

People can ask whatever price they want. The market will always dictate the real price. I remember there was a guy on RWI trying to sell an Omega rep for $1200. Well, he finally got it sold almost a month later for around $450. The market told him, even though he probably didn't like the price, they he was asking way to much for the watch. I feel the same goes for if someone includes extra shipping on M2M.

RichardMiami

People can ask whatever price they want.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough earlier.

NOT HERE.

RUSH2112

I'm not going to judge anyone else but I don't do it. I discount mine from the price paid for the watch and don't try to recoup any shipping costs paid. If I list a watch I want to sell it and don't like constantly needing to check the thread or Pms. I want it gone as fast as possible so I can move on.

Kcore

NOT HERE.

Sorry, but something just isn't right here. Please take a look at this M2M sale thread in watch parts & accessories. Look closely at post #4. Now tell me this isn't profiteering?

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=75127

zinnboy

If it is minty condition and they are in the CONUS for me than what the hell. I'll buy it through M2M even if it was the same price. I don't like waiting around. Thankfully though EMS is pretty damn fast if I say so myself.

Left Coast Guy

I have a couple thoughts:

1) Profiteering aside, you can list the watch for whatever you want and are well warranted to do so, but its seriously annoying when you significantly overprice your watch and continually bump it up. I feel the market here is very efficient, if its not a good price, it won't sell.....so don't keep beating a dead horse by bumping week after week. If you aren't a seller below your chosen price, you aren't a seller at all.

2) I view RWG as a community, not eBay; We are collectors and hobbyists sharing a passion. In that sense, I'm not trying to recoup funds as much as pass along a piece for someone else to enjoy at a reasonable value. While that's subjective, I think 15%-20% off list before shipping is reasonable.

3) While reps are somewhat different, I think there's a similar effect of losing value once you "drive if off the lot". It will never be new again, and I think as soon as you take the plastic off, you eat that 20% -- just something you have to accept. If you buy M2M or trade M2M it all comes around though, right?

RichardMiami

NOT HERE.

Sorry, but something just isn't right here. Please take a look at this M2M sale thread in watch parts & accessories. Look closely at post #4. Now tell me this isn't profiteering?

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=75127

That HK Tan strap was already sold by the time I got over there. It should not have been listed at a profit.

RichardMiami

you can list the watch for whatever you want

Guys

Have any of you actually read the sales rules? Paragraph #3 is crystal clear, and has been there for a long time.

This is NOT a consensus item, not a poll, not up to the individual. Please read:

3. This forum MUST NOT BE USED FOR SELLING FOR PROFIT. If you are attempting to sell an item for the same or higher than normal used cost, then there needs to be a good reason - i.e. modifications, rarity etc.

Kcore

That HK Tan strap was already sold by the time I got over there. It should not have been listed at a profit.

No worries, you tried, can't be everywhere. You're a good egg Richard!

Left Coast Guy

Think I was misunderstood there -- that's why I said, "Profiteering aside" . No confusion about the sales rules here...

Dr Yan

According to the sales rules profiteering is allowed....profiting is not !!

plankton
I don't care if the original purchaser paid for the watch to be hand delivered on a silk pillow by supermodels or if they had it sent by airmail.

That's their business. The price of a watch on M2M sales should only ever be based on the actual current value of the watch in question. After that, if the seller wants to factor in the cost of shipping the watch to me, then that's fine.

But I am not, and I repeat, I am not going to pay for a seller to recoup their original shipping costs from a TD. That's their loss.

Other boards may differ in their sales principles, but over here profiting from the sale on a generic piece has long been frowned upon and is contrary to the spirit of the board. It's one of the main things that differentiates this board from it's neighbours. Well that and the boobies.

regards

g.man

+1000 Spot On !!! :)

Sir, I concur.

In my opinion we are lucky to have a place that we can recoup some of the costs for this hobbie. I always price y used reps much less than what I have in them. I'm fortunate because it's not about the money and I'm aware that a lot of folks need the recouped funds badly. I say let the market dictate price and go from there. Remember our boards are totally against profiteering of any sort.

Dr Yan
I don't care if the original purchaser paid for the watch to be hand delivered on a silk pillow by supermodels or if they had it sent by airmail.

That's their business. The price of a watch on M2M sales should only ever be based on the actual current value of the watch in question. After that, if the seller wants to factor in the cost of shipping the watch to me, then that's fine.

But I am not, and I repeat, I am not going to pay for a seller to recoup their original shipping costs from a TD. That's their loss.

Other boards may differ in their sales principles, but over here profiting from the sale on a generic piece has long been frowned upon and is contrary to the spirit of the board. It's one of the main things that differentiates this board from it's neighbours. Well that and the boobies.

regards

g.man

+1000 Spot On !!! :)

Sir, I concur.

In my opinion we are lucky to have a place that we can recoup some of the costs for this hobbie. I always price y used reps much less than what I have in them. I'm fortunate because it's not about the money and I'm aware that a lot of folks need the recouped funds badly. I say let the market dictate price and go from there. Remember our boards are totally against profiteering of any sort.

Incorrect, please refer to my previous post .

Daywatch

EU is the problem here and shipping to EU costs between $55 and $70 to be on the safe side and just get it into the zone. Fail to see the problem or the profiteering if a member takes off 5% from watch + shipping for the most seeked after models or 15% for any other. Would cost any EU member more to get it there anyway (except UK) - but UK members very often charge in (expensive) £GBP (PP or banc transaction charges). 2nd hand Market dictates prices anyway.

Used gens on Chrono24 cost about 35% more in EU than in Conus.

Same watch ranges from $190 usd over $225 to $285 depending on the TD You buyed from - if the $285 buyer charges too high inspite taking off a percentage he will be told so, or not sell, simple.

Used gen Seikos go here on the forum for more than they cost new shipped with Creation Watches. Understandable for me if it was bought on Amazon, my call if I take it or not.

Think EU buyers are happy anyway as long as they get a good watch fast. My nicest transactions have been here on RWG for the simple fact of getting the watch just some days after the payment and not 3,4,5 weeks later.

Do what You want, just don´t put any more rules in our already over-regulated lifes.

daeffy

Sheet...I always include the Shipping and Paypal fees in my listing. Then I discount off the price of the watch and give free shipping and eat the PP fees. The buyer should know how much it cost to acquire that watch because if they decided to source the watch from a TD instead of M2M with free shipping an no PP fees then I damn well want them to know just how much money they are saving.

Left Coast Guy

According to the sales rules profiteering is allowed....profiting is not !!

Well then blame me for being a poorly-read goon with a limited vocabulary....

cogwatch

What I don't like is when people use the terms profiting, or especially profiteering when a seller is asking what they paid for a watch, including shipping or other fees. And in particular when the seller is asking what that paid including shipping and other fees but the seller covers shipping and PP fees for the new buyer.

Profiteering: The act of making excessive profits, esp by charging exorbitant prices for goods in short supply. 99.99% of the time when I see complaints about a sellers price it's nothing even close to the definition of profiteering.

Profit: The surplus remaining after total costs are deducted from total revenue. Theoretically, a seller could ask what they paid including shipping and any fees and ask the buyer to pay the new shipping and any fees and still not be making a profit, but simply breaking even. He may not find a buyer interested in that deal, but it is strictly a buyers choice to find the deal something of interest or move on. In a year as a member, I don't think I remember a single time when a seller actually twisted the arm of a buyer to buy.

Examples:

Paid $100 including shipping and fees minus sells for $100 and new buyer pays shipping and fees = $0 profit.

Paid $100 including shipping and fees minus sells for $100 and seller pays $15 shipping and fees = $15 loss. I have seen sellers called profiteers before in this scenario when in fact they weren't even profiting let alone profiteering.

Again, the seller may not find a buyer interested in either of the above scenarios, but neither of the scenarios are profiting and not even close to any form of the definition of profiteering.

Before any M2M buy, and I've bought quite a lot on M2M, I do quick but thorough research on TD prices for reps, or Amazon, Jomashop, etc. for gens, and I know what the watch is worth, then weigh the other elements of time, customs risk, who the seller is, etc. Important to note, not all TDs replace watches lost in customs. And, risk of theft in transit is often not even considered, but I consider it after my box of air arrived from China - see below. I then make my decision to buy or not based on the total value of the package to me including all of these variables. I might pay $250 for a watch that cost $200 at a TD depending on those variables.

Well, enough on that subject, time to go check out the M2M section :-)

e20f35d8624ab853ae79ea21c2cbc286_zps037aa293.jpg

mysterio

I'll pay for the shipping if I can't get it anywhere else. But I'll pay for the watch only plus shipping to my location. I'm not going to pay for how much it cost the seller to get the watch, that's his price of admission.

black263

I'll pay for the shipping if I can't get it anywhere else. But I'll pay for the watch only plus shipping to my location. I'm not going to pay for how much it cost the seller to get the watch, that's his price of admission.

I can't quite get my head around this. If a TD is going to charge me £XXX to place a watch in my hands, and a member is going to charge me less, my only concern is the quality of the watch being sold. I really couldn't give a toss what the seller paid. If it's worth the price to me to get it into my hands, rather than go to a TD, I'll buy it.