Sign in to follow this  
dfq23

Whats the consensus opinion on recouping extra shipping costs on m2m

Tekkes

I don't see the logic in recouping the shipping costs. That would mean a watch sent to you with airmail is worth less than one sent with DHL/FEDEX/EMS. While it is unfortunate that triangle shipping is that expensive (and as I'm in Belgium I have to pay it every time), it's payment for a service that doesn't add anything of value, and imo not recoupable on the 2nd hand buyer.

Higs

I think I'm probably just reiterating what a lot of people have already said (but where would internet forums be without that)...

My view is that, as long as the rules are not broken, people can list a watch for whatever price they chose and then let the market decide.

A member who includes triangle shipping, paypal fees etc etc is not making a profit i.e. will not walk away from the deal with cash in his/her back pocket so there's no reason why they shouldn't except that they will almost certainly price themselves out of a sale. A watch that is priced to include EU triangle shipping and little/no discount off the watch itself will almost certainly only attract people in EU countries with strict customs.

ag69

People can ask whatever price they want.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough earlier.

NOT HERE.

I was just making a general assumption to prove my point about the market dictating the price. I know we're not here to be profiteers but to enjoy a hobby we all like.

James.

Value of the item is the value of the good itself, not this postage bullshit. As far as I'm concerned people who factor in what they paid in postage and worse still, pp fees in calculating the "value" of their product can suck a bag of dicks.

Its a,fkin community forum, who gives a shit about $20, seriously.

That said, there's usually some idiot around willing to pay TD prices for a m2m used watch, and that's entirely their prerogative. A fool and their money... Or in the odd instance it may be acceptable if its a time factor issue.

James.

Also, people can list at whatever price they decide as long as it passes moderation. Wont stop me from people who push the envelope are fuckwits, though.

ShadyManc

I tend to cover shipping costs, PP fees on the buyer (with the option of bank transfer to save buyer the fees) and between 10-20% off. Nearer 10 for c&r, nearer 20 for lightly worn but in otherwise excellent condition. I've never had any complaints and have always sold quickly, i.e. within 24-48 hours, with 100% positive feedback.

I buy plenty from M2M but out of principle ask for a discount on what they've marked it for. It's second-hand, has no warranty from a TD and may not arrive 100% as advertised. I know the price from the TD, if they're asking too much via M2M I don't buy or enquire.

It surprises me how many people sit at an unreasonable price for extended periods, if you want to sell it's the market that decides the price.

mysterio

I was just making a general assumption to prove my point about the market dictating the price. I know we're not here to be profiteers but to enjoy a hobby we all like.

Well most anyway. Try asking the guy who was selling something he got for free. Wait, you can't. :lol:

Doomsday

Though this is not a poll, I'd like to vote for NOT including the shipping cost in original purchase price

It is annoying to do so, IMO.

black263

Just looking at current exchange rates once more raises the question of "profiting".

If I had bought a $350 watch 10 months ago, I would have paid £236. (Exchange rate 1.48.) So if I were to sell it today at a sensible price, taking, say a 15% hit, I would be looking at £200. Seem reasonable? Today, however, that same $350 watch bought from a dealer would only cost £209.50 at the current exchange rate of 1.67. So if I look to knock 15% off the current dealer price I need to sell for £178.

It's brilliant for UK buyers, as the sterling cost for watches bought in dollars is superb, but it's a real bugger if you need to sell.