Sign in to follow this  
Ska

Jaeger LeCoultre Master Tourbillon SS Review by Skathewatch

Ska

Apologies for how long this review took to materialise. As some of you know, my wife Sam suffered an injury last week so pretty much everything's been on hold for a while! She's back on the mend now however and even took time out of her recuperation to pose for some shots (You're welcome ding :D )

DEALER: MARY (WATCHINTERNATIONAL)

MODEL: JAEGER LeCOULTRE MASTER TOURBILLON 38mm

VARIANT: 316 STAINLESS STEEL

MOVEMENT: ASIAN FLYING TOURBILLON

PRICE: $509 SHIPPED

BRACELET: BLACK LEATHER CLASP WITH JAEGER LeCOULTRE DEPLOYANT

tempDSC_1689.jpg

1. Overall Look/Feel

Before I found RWG this watch was already a huge dream of mine. Jaeger LeCoultre to me represent the pinnacle of modern watchmaking and I think the Master Tourbillon is one of the most beautiful watches in their collection.

tempDSC_1673.jpg

Obviously the first thing that should be mentioned here is that this is really a fantasy watch because it's missing the power reserve indicator and date hand. (There is a rep available with power reserve but because of the movement limitations its even further away from the real thing.) IMO this version is actually more elegant than the gen because the simpler dial is much more classic and timeless. I was never going to be able to have a look at the genuine article anyway so a 1:1 comparison isn't really possible.

tempDSC_1747.jpg

Obviously some of the rather hefty price-tag goes on the movement in this rep, however for over $500 I was still expecting something rather special. - Badly fitting covers or unseated crystals were simply not going to do! But I'm happy to say that once again (can you spot a pattern emerging here) Mary has come up trumps and delivered a real stunner.

I kid you not, this watch looks like it could have cost $50,000. But before I go into that, here's a quick shot of the closest gen:

jaeger-lecoultre_master_grand_tourbillon.jpg

2. The Dial and Hands

tempDSC_1708.jpg

• Dial Quality: I've modified this heading, which usually deals with accuracy first for obvious reasons. In terms of quality the dial is lovely and has a great black/brown matte-sheen to it in different lights. There's none of that cheap, 'pressed plastic' feel you get with the glossy dials on even some of the more expensive reps. Its well aligned too.

tempDSC_1805.jpg

tempDSC_1806.jpg

• Font accuracy and quality of reproduction: Its hard to find a rep nowadays for more than $150 which doesn't have really good quality dial fonts and this is no exception. This one looks like its screened rather than embossed, and they've done a brilliant job.

tempDSC_1728.jpg

• Length/Shape of Hands: These are, as far as I can tell, identical to the genuine article. Spotless under the workshop microscope and the lume is well applied too which is surprising and impressive if you consider how delicate the strips are.

tempDSC_1815.jpg

• Quality of dial lume application: This is one of the only areas which isn't 100% perfect. The dial lume comes in the form of some tiny dots at the centre of each hour marker. Most of them are fractionally off centre. Its not an enormous bother, and nothing I can't fix.

tempDSC_1804.jpg

3. The Crystal and AR coating

• Crystal material: Sapphire, flawless.

tempDSC_1693.jpg

• Height, positioning and installation: As stated before I'd have been pretty disappointed with anything less than perfection for $500, and this delivers everything I'd hoped for. Its seated flush with the front of the case creating a seamless surface across the diameter of the bezel.

• AR Coating: The crystal is lovely and has that wonderful blue tinge you only get with single-sided AR. With a bit of perseverance you can get a great glassless look.

tempDSC_1723.jpg

4. Lume

DSC_1858.jpg

• Colour: Green

• Accuracy: Very well applied (although these look like pre-manufactured dots to me. So it shouldn't be hard)

• Brightness: Nowhere near as bright as my DSSD, however there's fuck all lume on the thing anyway so it stands to reason really!

DSC_1857.jpg

5. Strap and Clasp

tempDSC_1768.jpg

• Springbars/Pins: The springbars which came with this bracelet are of very good quality. I was surprised as I'd been expecting the typical rubbish and got a couple of good ones here ready to be swapped out. No need in this instance. The only difference is that the gen has curved springbars which follow the shape of the case. This would have been an awesome touch IMO.

• Strap Quality: This is a bit better than the typical shitty rep strap but still no match for a good one. Its thick, doesn't look like the shiny pound shop efforts you get on most and the Jaeger branding is pretty good, better than my Railmaster by a mile.

tempDSC_1753.jpg

• Clasp: I was a little worried having read Dr Gran's appraisal of his AP Tourbillon that the clasp wouldn't be up to par. This is happily not the case. The machined Logos on the deployant and buckle are as crisp and deep as on the case back.

tempDSC_1759.jpg

• Build Quality and Effectiveness: I didn't need to be concerned about this aspect of the clasp either because although delicate and elegant the deployant is solid, strong and even a little stiff to begin with until I rubbed it down with a WD40 covered rag. There were even enough holes punched in the strap to fit my little bitch-sized wrists which is a bonus!

tempDSC_1754.jpg

6. Weight compared to gen

• Haven't a fucking clue so here's a random couple of photos comparing size with my DSSD for no reason whatsoever :headdesk: .

tempDSC_1670.jpg

tempDSC_1647.jpg

7. Bezel and Case

tempDSC_1746.jpg

tempDSC_1718.jpg

• Fit and finish: The Jaeger case like the gen is beautifully simple and machined from a single piece of 316L steel. Its finished to an incredible standard, easily as good as my DSSD and the steel shines bright white, (So I can pretend its platinum :D ) It looks pretty close to the real Jaeger too in terms of dimensions. :D The watch is surprisingly thick which gives it a really substantial look and the lugs are seriously heavy duty!!

tempDSC_1722.jpg

• Case Back: I'm a big fan of display backs, but its got to be said that the tourbillon movement (though stunning of course from the front) has a real feeling of 'utility' from the back. Its completely sterile which immediately makes it look like a rep and apart from the winding gears is pretty stark. As a result there's not much to see through the glass. (More on this later) The engraving logo and markings on the steel surround however look the nuts and are positioned correctly for a real Jaeger.

Gen:

Turb6.jpg

Rep:

tempDSC_1681.jpg

tempDSC_1762.jpg

tempDSC_1763.jpg

tempDSC_1791.jpg

• Rehaut: Being a fantasy watch its not a big deal but for posterity its necessary for me to mention that the rehaut bears no resemblance to the gen....... in the sense that it doesn't exist (In the gen the rehaut is also the datewheel)

tempDSC_1724.jpg

8. Crown

tempDSC_1720.jpg

• Quality of machining/casting: The crown is a little beauty. The casting, if possible, is better than any watch I own and its such a simple design. I love it.

tempDSC_1814.jpg

• Tube/Stem thread: I've been as delicate as I can with this so far because this is one movement I DON'T want to fuck up, however it feels solid and as there's no screw-down bollocks to worry about I'm hopeful that this one will go the distance.

tempDSC_1780.jpg

9. Details peculiar to model.

• Handwind - This is the most immediate and unavoidable difference after the power reserve subdial mentioned earlier. The real deal is automatic and as far as I know there is no asian equivalent auto-tourbillon movement. Given this and the lengths to which some of the Chinese factories have gone to imitate the gens (even going so far as to clone whole Rolex movements) I'd almost advocate the addition of a bearing assembly with a non-functional, rotor to the rear bridge. At least it would hide most of the back of the movement and look pretty much identical to the gen.

Gen

jlc-tourbillon-5.JPG

Rep

tempDSC_1788.jpg

tempDSC_1732.jpg

10. Tourbillon (What we've all been waiting for !!)

Gen

jlc-tourbillon-3.JPG

• The Asian flying tourbillon is an incredible feat of engineering and totally mesmerising. Above all else its the reason I wanted this watch and I'm so glad I did. This is without a doubt the classiest watch I own (It beats the datejust hands down)

tempDSC_1749.jpg

tempDSC_1771.jpg

tempDSC_1774.jpg

Here she is in all her YouTube glory:

11. Time Keeping Accuracy and Power Reserve

• Now I may be wrong, or this could be a huge fluke but I've checked this now over 3 consecutive days and its lost just over 1 second.

Bottom Line

tempDSC_1686.jpg

tempDSC_1751.jpg

This watch kicks ass and looks a million dollars without being ostentatious or gaudy. Its rare to find a watch which manages to carry off function and prestige without resorting to diamonds or yellow gold. Rolex would do well to take a leaf out of JLC's book.

Oh yeah - And Ding/Onzey this is just for you xx :P

DSC_1855.jpg

Well I hope you enjoyed this review. Thanks for reading.

Ska. :popcorn:

sconehead

Nice watch Ska...mind you anything would look good on Sam...:popcorn:

skintrade

Chris, what can I say but PURE CLASS m8, all the way.

The watch is just stunning, the photos are of your usual high quality and the commentry makes for some great reading.

I will be going for a Tourby at some point, just enjoy the watch m8.

Oh and I also can appreciate the female form, so thanks for that also :popcorn::headdesk:

sconehead
Nice watch Ska...mind you anything would look good on Sam...:headdesk:

edit: I wonder if graman will photoshop her...:popcorn:

Ska

Dont go giving him ideas!! :popcorn:

pollux1

Dammit Ska, with reviews like this you make me want to buy a fucking tourbillon. I HAVE NEVER EVER EVEN CONSIDERED ONE AND NOW I WANT ONE. DAMM YOO! :popcorn:

gB.

Nice review/pics and wife. Oh yeah, the watch is nice too...:popcorn:

GC

Bare none, the best reviews, superb photog & phenomenal timepieces...

Chris you have out done yourself mate! Enjoy that work of art for the wrist often!

BRAVO

lkzyz89efm_clap.gif

Luthier

Great watch and great review, Chris!

Is it really 38mm? It looks bigger than 43mm DSSD. Also, I found a few auto tourbies in my catalog.

Honestly - have no idea, what "12 hours tourbillon" mean...

Tourbies-1.jpg

Tourbies-2.jpg

graman
Nice watch Ska...mind you anything would look good on Sam...;)

edit: I wonder if graman will photoshop her...:rofl:

BWAAHAAAHAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Seriously mate.....Fantastic work!...it's a lovely watch...I love Jaegers as well, and your photography is awesome!

Hope Sam's feeling better.........

I am wondering how that would look on my wrist! ;)

dingle

Your reviews are awesome my friend . Some of the best around. Period. :rofl:

Thanks for the pic of Sam too. You sir are pure class in the highest degree.

;)

ebzen02

BADASS motherfucking watch! enjoy!

watchguy23

Stunning watch, and great review sir!

TAGster

:rofl:;)

Gorgeous watch!!

This is so far the most beautiful rep watch I´ve ever seen!

I wish I could spend 500 bucks to get one, I´m huge fan of Jaeger-Le Coultre Tourbillon watches.

Congrats!!!

Just a question/favor: is possible to see a video of the Tourbillon in action?? ;)

robbnj

Nice watch.

Nice review.

Attractive woman wearing it.

Hat trick!

Brightlight

A Skathe's watch review Section is required so these great reviews and pics can be in one place. In fact it could be called "Skathe's Watch Review and Sam Pics Section".

All in favour say "Aye"!

AllergyDoc

Provided Sam is included in ALL his reviews. :rofl:

greg_r

Beautiful watch + great photos, ska!

mondeov6

What can I say.... simply amazing watch, pictures and review!! :rofl:

solkryssare

Aye! Fantastic write up and amazing looking watch and girl. Its now on my wish list. Keep em coming mate. Your reviews are one of the things I love about this place.

Silverspeed

Wow...very well written review with great pics :thumbsup:

That's one well made classy Jeager LeCoultre...built quality is

far more important than closeness to gen...this is a perfect example!

Oh and...even a butt ugly graham would look very good on your wife ;)

Ska

Thanks guys for all the feedback! It means a great deal to me especially coming from so many of you who I look up to and who have helped me attempt to transcend my noobishness!!

And in response to, well most of you - I couldn't agree more, Sam's the best thing in my life and I can't begin to describe how lucky I am to have found someone so beautiful who also humours my hobby! (especially if you consider that both my 'jobs' are basically hobbies too!)

Oh yeah @ Brightlight - That was one of the nicest things anyone's said to me here and it means a huge amount coming from you! Thanks buddy :thumbsup:

atmos

can you make a short youtube video from tourbillon please ?

Ska

Hey Atmos - I already posted one in the weekly wristies thread. But you're right it should be here!

I've now modified the OP to include the video hope you enjoy it!!

:thumbsup:

coolin

Everything and more than I expected! From my very 1st post I discussed about getting a torby and this has only stamped the seal of approval as it being a must have in my collection. Thanks for the cracking review and gorgeous pictures (sam included oc) you really have gave this watch the justice it deserves.

col