Sign in to follow this  
Pseudonym

Calling All Rolex Aficianados: 16800 Vs 16610

Rg500
I bought a gen 16800 insert with trit pearl for $46. Just shop around & keep your eyes peeled!!

Awesome price! Was that from a forum or from ebay?

ST were out of stock on the bezel assembly so I just ordered the case... Bit of a pain as shipping costs are not cheap. I ordered a number of other items I need for other projects at the same time to make it worthwhile.

I will try to curb my eagerness and wait for a reasonably priced insert... Not going to be easy though!

Ian

J!m

I have ordered an ST3135 case and will also try to get a TC though I am not convinced that either of them will fit my spare 3035 movement. Time will tell.

Ian

3035 fits the TC case. Check his blog where he takes his gen apar and swaps all the parts over to the TC sub...

Rg500

In his blog TC Writes of putting a 3135 into one of his cases but I haven't seen anything about the 3035... I will check again.

Ian

J!m

What is your concern? They are the same size movement, no?

Pseudonym
I bought a gen 16800 insert with trit pearl for $46. Just shop around & keep your eyes peeled!!

Awesome price! Was that from a forum or from ebay?

ST were out of stock on the bezel assembly so I just ordered the case... Bit of a pain as shipping costs are not cheap. I ordered a number of other items I need for other projects at the same time to make it worthwhile.

I will try to curb my eagerness and wait for a reasonably priced insert... Not going to be easy though!

Ian

Yeah from eBay mate. Will find the link to the seller as he had a few for reasonable cost.

Try wholesaleoutlet (WSO) eBay for the bezel assembly. Bout $75ish of I remember. They claim gen spec fit guarantee or money back I think.

Pseudonym

Ok so the seller I bought from, has no other items listed at present.

Sorry bro.

P.

J!m

I use the WSO bezel assemblies and they are great. A bit more than you quoted in price however... (if you get everything)

Pseudonym

In the link, the full assembly from WSO is listed as $69 plus $4 shipping... Meh.

Rg500
What is your concern? They are the same size movement, no?

I seem to recall that the distance from dial face to centreline of the stem is slightly different which means that whilst the movement will fit in the case the stem does not sit at the correct height to pass centrally through the case tube...

I could be wrong, of course and will report back when the case arrives.

Ian

Rg500
I use the WSO bezel assemblies and they are great. A bit more than you quoted in price however... (if you get everything)

Have seen those on ebay and wondered what they are like, thanks!

Ian

Rg500
Ok so the seller I bought from, has no other items listed at present.

Sorry bro.

P.

No worries, thanks for the help, I really appreciate the input.

Ian

J!m

Slight difference in stem height can be accomodated, and adding a date spacer under a dial can help with a non-date watch to move the stem toward the back of the watch a bit.

With big case watches, there is a bit of "slop" in the stem due to the length of the stem. But, if it is a mm or more, you have a problem.

Rg500

Thanks J!m,

I should get the case next week so will know better what needs to be done (if anything) then.

Ian

Rg500

Well, got the case but as I suspected the 3035 does not fit....

It is slightly too thick to allow the movement screws to engage in the case grooves and the stem is around 0.4mm to high. I think I could shave the movement screws and enlarge the case groove to get the movement in but have also posted a WTB for an ST 3035 case which is the proper solution.

Itching to get it done so it's a tad frustrating...

Also going to keep my eye out for a Y3135 for the ST3135 case I now have to make use of my 2nd gen dial.

Ian

Pseudonym

Check Yuki's site for stock. Not cheap though :(

Other news... Mine should be assembled today! Yay!! Then it's off to KeNny for some vintage lume goodness!!!

Rg500

Yuki currently out of stock... Might just email anyway.

I am looking forward to seeing yours finished too... It should give me some inspiration as I'm feeling a tad dejected at the mo'.

Rg500

Decided to just mod the ST3135 case to fit the 3035... Shaved the movement mounting screws and enlarged the groove in the case and voila!

Stem height was not as bad as I thought it would be and crown etc fits without issue. Pretty happy!

Excuse the crappy iphone camera pics.

a92fc4931def687f277e18338b808231_zps31d14e54.jpg

30624da27d0d8616572938f19b363c0a_zpsb34c388b.jpg

Spec is:-

ST3135 case modded to fit gen 3035

TC bezel assembly and vintage insert (will replace with gen when I find a suitable one at the right price)

TC crystal

Gen crown and tube

Yuki hands with yellowed Lume (matches extremely well)

themannier

Mine is a 1986 16800 transitional model pic below.

D72D12CA-7F82-4384-8414-C3BA44A4159F_zpsxh8qvkyh.jpg

The perfect Watch, congrats !

Pseudonym
Decided to just mod the ST3135 case to fit the 3035... Shaved the movement mounting screws and enlarged the groove in the case and voila!

Stem height was not as bad as I thought it would be and crown etc fits without issue. Pretty happy!

Excuse the crappy iphone camera pics.

a92fc4931def687f277e18338b808231_zps31d14e54.jpg

30624da27d0d8616572938f19b363c0a_zpsb34c388b.jpg

Spec is:-

ST3135 case modded to fit gen 3035

TC bezel assembly and vintage insert (will replace with gen when I find a suitable one at the right price)

TC crystal

Gen crown and tube

Yuki hands with yellowed Lume (matches extremely well)

Great stuff Ian! Can't wait to get mine!!

Rg500

Thanks Rob, I am looking forward to seeing yours and learning what you have had done.

Ian

Pseudonym

A few snags along the way - namely trying to find a set of hands to fit despite buying them as "3135 hands"

Bought 2 sets from different vendors... Same issue. Bout a used YUKI set & a new YUKI set.

Then it's off to Kenny for vintage style lume...

Rg500

I know what you mean.

My yuki hands didn't fit straight out of the box... They were a tad tight. I had to gently enlarge the hole a fraction on both the hour and minute hands. Thankfully the seconds hand was ok... Not sure what I would have done if that didn't fit :-)