Sign in to follow this  
Pseudonym

Calling All Rolex Aficianados: 16800 Vs 16610

Pseudonym

So... I've been bitten by the vintage bug. In my head, I have it that I want a couple of vintage subs. 1680 Red, but also a 16800 Trans-sub. Why the latter you ask? Well, believe or not I was born in 1983, the year that Rolex moved the sub from Plexi to synthetic sapphire, from 200m to 300m WP.

As I cant pluck for a gen of both just yet... I'm looking to get a decent rep of both.

Now the 1680 is well documented & repped at present. Those that are interested know the mods required to up the game to a more accurate franken.

The 16800, however; is not. It seems that due to history, it's been over looked.

As I understand it, the 16800 utilities the same case & bracelet as the 16610? Can someone know knows a bit better confirm this as the information I can find is a bit wishy washy...

If this is the case, surely the easiest mod to get myself a 16800 is to have the dial modded on a decent 16610 in favour of the tritium lume etc? Then hey presto, 16800.

Thoughts please.

Thanks in advance,

P.

J!m

I'd get the 16610 complete and swap the dial to the white 1680. That's pretty much the watch. difference to me is applied inicies or direct printed indicies. Otherwise same watch- same case, both sapphire with cyclops, 93150 bracelet on both... Easy.

Pseudonym

Cheers Jim!

The dial would be askew, as it's 300m... Worth the mod?

Would a Yuki 16800(0) fit?

Conex

Its all I seem to buy now, vintage Rollies.

fetasigma

love my vintage rollies....the modern ones, not so much(although i do have a rep or 2)

Jonnybaws

I started with the modern Rolexs when I first joined but I too am bitten by the Vintage bug..

I shall follow this thread with interest ;)

Conex
I started with the modern Rolexs when I first joined but I too am bitten by the Vintage bug..

Yes , same. I am starting to get into doing a bit of modding myself now, even if it is just a bit of vintagizing here and there.

Jonnybaws

Yes , same. I am starting to get into doing a bit of modding myself now, even if it is just a bit of vintagizing here and there.

I may do some of that too, got a nice base in a 1680...

But I have quite a bit more reading up to do before I even attempt to make a start..

Pseudonym

So done a bit of digging and Yuki produce a 16800 Matt dial for the 3035 movement...

Question is, will this fit a rep?? And by rep I mean an ETA highest movent such as 2836 or alike...

Answers on a postcard to: robhasnocluepleasehelp

Looks like I can find a gen dial for a good price if YUKI don't get back to me (Matt is on back order)

Anyone have experience with aging bezels & alike?

Think the safe bet is give it to a pro, most likely.

J!m

I have not looked at the 16800 closely enough to see if the earliest ones were still 200 vs. 300 during the transition. probably not, as they would want to promote this "revolutionary" development...

As to the dial, the 3035 has feet in wrong location for 28xx movemenbt, so you'd have to use dial dots, which I personally hate. Chat with Jerkstore as he has good luck/technique for mating gen Rolex dials with 28xx movements. The 3035 is physically larger diameter as well so a movement ring will also be required, as are long case clamps to keep it together. If it is a rep case it should be OK but stem height should be kept in mind as well..

Edited by J!m

Pseudonym

I have managed to reference a movement ring that should fit a Rep case and allow the 28XX movement to sit properly.

Will ping mike an email and ask his advice, however this isn't something I can do. I'll definitely require the help/services of someone technically adept.

Thanks for the input J!M.

Markrfc

Mine is a 1986 16800 transitional model pic below.

D72D12CA-7F82-4384-8414-C3BA44A4159F_zpsxh8qvkyh.jpg

Pseudonym

Gen?

Markrfc

Yip

Pseudonym
Yip

Ohh schtop it !!

Fancy sharing the details?

16800 or 168000??

twofake

Nice!

Markrfc
Yip

Ohh schtop it !!

Fancy sharing the details?

16800 or 168000??

J!m

Shows what I know...

Applied indexes and a 702 crown on a 16800.

300 meters too, but 86 is a bit out.

I am not farmiliar with a 168000... In 96 the 16610 was born with the 3135 movement. Pretty sure at or before this point the 703 came on line as well.

Pseudonym

Every day is a school day J!m...

As I understand it, there were 2 versions of the 16800. Mk1 dial was matt with painted indices/ lume. Produced up until '85. Then Mk2 with a gloss dial, which due to composition, cracked (known as spider web dial) which had applied WG indices filled with tritium.

Can't remember off the top of my head what year, 89 i think, rolex produced the 168000. Same whatch but upgraded to 904 steel. 9 months of production before releasing the 16610 we all know. Movent was changed from 3035 27j to the 3135 31j respectively.

Edit. Can confirm the 168000 was produce in '89 until superseded by the 16610, which was produced from 1989 to 2010.

P.

Pseudonym

After doing further research on these models it seems I'm misinformed.

Rolex did change to Sapphire Crystal with the 16800, however it wasn't in 1983. It was in fact 1977. Good news in that a gen can be had for a few quid less than I expected.

Pseudonym

Ok so my quest to source parts has me in a spin.

I have on my radar:

Gen 16800 MK1 matte dial

Gen Insert

Gen 703 crown & tub

Case dependent parts:

Replacement crystal or parabolic sapphire conversion

Replacement click spring

Replacement Bezel friction washer - if required

Is the DW the same in the 1680 & 16610? If not, do any of you fine people know where I can source a DWO - open 6 & 9 / curved 3's??

This is of course all dependent on what rep case best fits the 16800. Is it the 1680 or the 16610?

Will a gen case back fit a rep 1680 case? Found a little bargain on tinterweb perhaps...

All advise & help very much appreciated!

P.

J!m

I would lean toward the 16610 case in your position. That accepts the sapphire whereas the 1680 takes the plexi crystal- totally different crystal attachment system. I would not convert a plexi case to sapphire.

Pseudonym

Thanks again for the input Jim. Minus the lug holes, it's pretty much bang on (case markings aside)

I had considered a gen case but £1200 for the only one I can find... Might as well buy gen if that were the route.

Cheers

P.

J!m

Early 16610 cases had lug holes.

Basically the "evolution" as I see it is as follows:

Base sub (and it's evolution up to 5513)

Added date (1680)

Went to sapphire and increased depth rating (16800)

Went to applied markers (16800/16610)

Changed movement (16800/16610)

Lost lug holes (16610)

Went to ceramic bezel insert (116610)

Those are the big hits for me anyway.