Sign in to follow this  
jd1566

SD best rep with working valve

jd1566

Hello all,

Just a bit of background.. I'm a happy owner of a TC sub with his "vintage" bezel. I popped for an original bezel but I actually prefer his vintage one. I also have a double red el cheapo SD which had incorrect text between the lugs but which I've had a bit of fun "antiquing".. Has a crap movement which keeps amazing time, go figure.. BUT...

I'm in love with the 16660 great white matt dial with lume dots. No-one seems to make them so I've looked around and found that Yuki does a nice dial with hands, but for a 3135 movement! Not a major issue as he also happens to have a clone movmt (A BIT EXPENSINVE.. BUT HEY, PERFECTION IS NOT CHEAP!), which means all I need to make this creation a reality is a good quality case.

Any suggestions?

I'd really like a holes case (I see Kuvarsit has one) but I also noticed a watch on PClone with the note "Working HE Valve, Correct finish and size". Has anyone checked their SD to see if the valves are working? The other option would be to get a SD 2000 old style - PC has one and again it says "Depressable Release Valve" hat the valve is working - anyone tried it out?

If anyone has a better suggestion (i.e. a ETA 16660 matt dial would save on having to buy an expensive 3135 clone)??

As for the strap, I see TC has some SD ones which look like good quality, so I'm covered there.

Let me know if you need links to the watches I'm looking at.. or pictures. I know it's not "done" to put links in these posts but I could PM them.

THANKS!

Mazz

Why would you need it to work?

jd1566

um... because it would be cool.. Dunno really, just kind of mifs me that a part on the watch would be merely cosmetic when in fact it could work. I've seen a kit for the older 1665 helium valve on Yuki, so it appears possible to have a functioning HE valve on the older model. also some sites advertise it, although a recent mail from Josh confirms my fears, that it's just false advertising and at least on the newer 16600 models it doesn't work.

BC1221

The he valves on reps work in a sense that you can push them or unscrew them on omegas.

If you take that watch to a depth where it would be needed, your watch would be completely full of water.

So no. They do not work.

If you want a rep with a he valve to be waterproof, you have to seal it with epoxy from the inside.

Somif you're asking if the button on sd he valve can be pushed the answer is yes.

If you're asking if they work like they do on gens then no.

BC1221

Of and you can use yuki dials on any movement. You just have to cut the feet and use dial dots to mount it on the movement.

Ratubbs

BC when you say any movement is ETA's included ?

Daywatch

The 16600 BP Seadweller is the best looking and its water-resistant. The whole idea is to have a HE valve - well that looks like a HE valve. That´s why it´s a rep....:)

Left Coast Guy

BC when you say any movement is ETA's included ?

:facepalm:

Ratubbs

Afdaddy thanks for being a Prick !

BC could've been referring to "any" Rolex movement be it clone or gen. Which is why I asked for clarification .

Bobbylah

Found this -

As a former commercial saturation diver in the North Sea, I'd like to give you an important point- helium release valves have nothing to due with how deep a watch can go. While working in the North Sea, we would live in saturation chambers for 30 days.These chambers were dry environments and were located on the oil rig or ship. They were at an internal pressure of the diving depths ( ie 200m-665ft). At this depth, we were breathing 95% HELIUM. Now helium is one of the smallest molecules and it penetrate ANY watch seal. After being in the chamber for 30 days a lot of helium has built up INSIDE the watch case. As we were slowly brought back to the surface over 5 days, the pressure was decreasing in the chamber. Boyle's Law states that as pressure decreases, VOLUME increases( including inside the watch).Think of champagne. As long as the bubbles are under pressure with the cork in the bottle all is well. Remove the cork(lessen the pressure and out explodes the champagne!) We would reach a point where the helium in the watch expanded to such an extent that BANG! it blew the crystal off. I witnessed this MANY times on various watches no matter what their depth rating. HRV allow the internal helium to escape as the pressure decreases during assent. You could also have a dive watch with such a strong case/crystal that it could withstand the expanding pressure of the helium and be able to handle it. My Zodiac Super Sea Wolf was brilliant at those depths while I saw Rolex Submariners popping crystals regularly.Hence the development of the HRV.

See link below for more info on the different types of HEV

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/helium-escape-valve-question-s-754579.html

BC1221

If you want a button to push, you're gonna need to get a modern sd. The vintage reps are just engravings to look the part from what I've seen.

You can mount any dial to any movement if you know what you're doing.