Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

2836-2 Balance Assembly in a 2846-2 Low Beat?

SSTEEL

I thought the balance assemblies were the same, but I recently replaced a low beat 2846-2 balance for a known good one from a 2836-2 and it set up fine on the timegrapher, but in real time, its gaining 15 seconds every minute, which is a lot of gain during 24hrs.

24hrs = 86400 seconds, so 15 seconds gain per minute would be 15sec x 1440 sec/24hr seconds which equals 21600, so I'm now thinking I need to replace the escapement, and pallet for from a 2836-2 across to the 2846-2?

​Does that make sense.?

1littlegreen

Yes....21J or 17j??? there is a difference there too as the bridges will have less friction in the 21j...

they do exchange due to the same series...28XX... but you need to swap low-beat with same or it will not regulate... try the escapement from the high-beat with balance assy.. should equal out

trksh-bzr

someone did that same swap when the v3 AP roo diver came out, with high beat mvt. the swap made the A2824 run lowbeat which is more accurate to gen....

SSTEEL

Thanks mate, I thought I was going nuts at first, then the penny dropped. This 2846-2 is quite old anyways so will probably take it in part exchange and replace it with a 2834-2 which I have in stock. Saves time, then when I get some free time I will strip down the old 2846-2 and service it.

Thanks again!

someone did that same swap when the v3 AP roo diver came out, with high beat mvt. the swap made the A2824 run lowbeat which is more accurate to gen....

I read that, thanks mate.

DR3M3L
Thanks mate, I thought I was going nuts at first, then the penny dropped. This 2846-2 is quite old anyways so will probably take it in part exchange and replace it with a 2834-2 which I have in stock. Saves time, then when I get some free time I will strip down the old 2846-2 and service it.

Thanks again!

I read that, thanks mate.

If you have a few minutes I could compare two escapements as I have a highbeat and a lowbeat movement in full service ready to be cleaned :D

SSTEEL

I can do that mate, i will post the photos here ;)

Angus123

Im quite sure that the balance assembly is the same because when i go to order one it is under the 2801.2 which is generic in the 2836 and the 2824 movements. Correct me if im wrong tho.

ado213

The train count won't be the same, which is probably why your gaining!

DR3M3L
Im quite sure that the balance assembly is the same because when i go to order one it is under the 2801.2 which is generic in the 2836 and the 2824 movements. Correct me if im wrong tho.

Read again... No 2824 involved :P 2846 movement..... Highbeat hair spring to lowbeat movement.... Will work, but not keep time.....

28,800 -> 8bps

21,600 -> 6bps

So, if you only change the balance wheel, it'll tick 8 times instead of 6 times, then you need other gears (most of the time only have to change the escape wheel) to work with 8bps.

SSTEEL

Correct Joran, which reminds me, I was supposed to get that photo comparison for you. When I get a minute I will. ;)

DR3M3L
Correct Joran, which reminds me, I was supposed to get that photo comparison for you. When I get a minute I will. ;)

Actually, no problem at all, I've already managed to strip down two 7750 movements. One highbeat and one lowbeat, they are the same exect for the small wheel on the top :)

SSTEEL

Ah ok. I am a 7750 guru, successfully serviced a few now :D Still takes me longer to fit the 60 second pinion longer than fitting the escapement, and pallet fork though lol.

DR3M3L
Ah ok. I am a 7750 guru, successfully serviced a few now :D Still takes me longer to fit the 60 second pinion longer than fitting the escapement, and pallet fork though lol.

7750 is a bitch, but a very stable designed bitch :D

SSTEEL

Ain't that the truth. Temperamental bitch too :lol: