Sign in to follow this  
zinnboy

Death of the Patek Philippe 5127

zinnboy

Hi all, I am very sorry to say that today I have found out that Patek Philippe has pulled the 5127 Calatrava from their site. It has now been replaced with the 5227, a very 'different' model. I just bought the Patek Calatrava 5127g from WF and am glad to see that they will keep it alive at least on the replica side.

Patek Calatrava 5127g:

Y8oUHtR.jpg

The new Patek Philippe Calatrava 5227g:

nyuCcSh.png

Summary of the changes from the 5127 to the 5227 tl;dr

-Case size increased from 37mm to 39mm

-Crown Guards to no crown guards

-Thicker crown to thinner crown

-Dots around dial for minutes (except by the date window) with thicker dots every 5 minutes to small dots in between the indices.

-Thicker bezel to thinner bezel with more dial space

-Sapphire display back to flip open "Hunter" display back

-Double 12 hour indice marker to Single 12 hour indice

-Beveled minute marker indices to flat minute marker indices

-Swiss to Swiss Made

-Thin Patek Philippe font to thicker Patek Philippe font

-No dot by the date window to indice and dot marker by the date

Some history about the Calatrava line up:

One of the best designed watches – in my opinion – is the Patek Philippe Calatrava ref.5127. Patek has a lot of Calatrava models in their collection, but the one below is the one in particular when I addressed ‘one of the best designed watches’. It has no sharp edges or hard lines in terms of design, the lugs have only this slight bend towards the strap (or bracelet for the /1 models) and the dial is perfectly clean.

Patek introduced the Calatrava-line in 1932. A small round elegant watch with a fine mechanical movement. The Calatrava-line still represents elegance, but a bit more styled towards the current standards. However, only slight adjustments were required. Patek Philippe holds on to classic design with their Calatrava models.

Edited by zinnboy

_DC_

I think if you look carefully at the case and bezel shape of the rep that WF are offering it's closer to the 5107 which is the precursor to the 5127!

This always happens though, old models go and new ones replace them. I happen to think the 5227 is a beautiful piece, if a little large! The hunter caseback is one feature of the new model which you haven't mentioned and is a simply stunning feature, as well as the sculpted lugs which I love! I look forward to a rep of the new model!!

DC

Wriggles

I would prefer the 5227, a cleaner more elegant watch imho. Crown guards on a dress watch just don't sit right, getting rid of them makes it far more dressy which to me is more elegant

_DC_

Also you're about a year late on this news, the new reference was released at Basel 2013!!

DC

HWG

I don't know much about Patek, but I prefer the new reference over the older. But, that is just IMO.

zinnboy

I think if you look carefully at the case and bezel shape of the rep that WF are offering it's closer to the 5107 which is the precursor to the 5127!

This always happens though, old models go and new ones replace them. I happen to think the 5227 is a beautiful piece, if a little large! The hunter caseback is one feature of the new model which you haven't mentioned and is a simply stunning feature, as well as the sculpted lugs which I love! I look forward to a rep of the new model!!

DC

Yeah I liked the WF case of the 5127, but I did mention the "hunter" caseback. I'm just a little slow and called it "flip open"

Also you're about a year late on this news, the new reference was released at Basel 2013!!

DC

Yeah I also am aware that this watch has been around for about a year now, but I just posted because the 5127 was pulled from Patek's site today.

Edited by zinnboy

zinnboy

I don't know much about Patek, but I prefer the new reference over the older. But, that is just IMO.

I don't know man, I guess I will feel that way in a few years when it becomes more popular. I never really liked the ceramic subs when they were first released, but now I got one for myself :)

zinnboy

Patek Calatrava 5127

ojCtp8v.png

Edited by zinnboy

zinnboy

Patek Calatrava 5227

OhLmv28.png

mike70sk

Hi i been looking for this rep, do you know what td's are selling it ? what is it 36mm ?

kenton23

I do like the new one, I have to say.

zinnboy
Hi i been looking for this rep, do you know what td's are selling it ? what is it 36mm ?

Wf has something similar. Not the same though. Very difficult to find a rep.