Sign in to follow this  
cigator

Stupid noob question on band link removal

cigator

Ok, just got BK DSSD. Love the watch. Band is a little loose. I want to remove a link. I am not sure which side of the clasp to remove from. Can I really screw anything up because I can live with the band as is, if there is a chance I will damage the band.

JoeyB

If it's the bracelet it's easy to do, and you won't screw it up using the right tools. The bracelet is held together with screw-pins. Get a jeweler's screwdriver that fits the head of the screw and carefully, firmly turn it counter-clockwise. The screw will come out, and the bracelet will be apart. Then repeat the process to remove the number of links you want to remove. Reverse it all to re-assemble. Then check each screw to make sure all are tight. They usually need to be tightened when new.

If you slip, put a scratch in it or mess up the screw head, you won't be the first. And it is easily repairable. 

If you have the Glide Lock clasp and need just a short adjustment, less than a link, you can do a quick adjustment. It's easy, and the best Rolex clasp. I put that on all my GMTs. The center of the clasp raises to adjust it. Pictures here: Glide Lock

alistairw

:D

Also suggest you put a small amount of Locktite 222 on each of the screw threads, whilst you

are adjusting your band.

That way the screws won't accidently come loose.

The beauty of the Locktite 222 is it allows easy unscrewing of threads when you need to.

If you ever buy a Breitling rep, the small screws have a habit of unscrewing and then being lost

this solves that problem.

Good luck!

cigator

Thanks for the help. The smallest screwdriver I have is the kind for eyeglasses. I will see if that fits the screwheads properly. I have the glidelock bracelet set for as small as it will go so I guess I have no choice but to remove a link.