Sign in to follow this  
dave47

Breitling Crown and stem

dave47

Hi, Gang!

I'm in need of a crown and winding stem for my old Breitling Chrono, with Asian 21j. The old crown was accidentally lopped off by yours truly and can't be fixed, so I'm in need of a replacement. Anyone have any ideas as to where I should look?

Thanks, much!

Cheers!

dave

greg_r

The stem should be fairly easy I would guess - have a word with Col (trailboss99), he might have something suitable. The crown is tougher - can you not just switch the crown from the broken stem to the new one?

dave47

Thanks for the tip, Greg!

The problem with the crown is that part of the stem, which broke off, is still inside. I might just consider dropping in a new movement (a21j).

The stem should be fairly easy I would guess - have a word with Col (trailboss99), he might have something suitable. The crown is tougher - can you not just switch the crown from the broken stem to the new one?

greg_r

The problem with the crown is that part of the stem, which broke off, is still inside. I might just consider dropping in a new movement (a21j).

Hmm - there are ways of dealing with that. Have a word with our resident watchsmith, Brightlight - he may be able to advise you how to get the remains of the stem out of the crown (as you're not likely to be able to obtain a replacement, I'm afraid).

Brightlight

Put the crown in some vinegar and leave it for a week or so, you'll find the stem has gone. You can do it a lot quicker with dilute sulphuric acid if you have access to some!

Drop me a PM for the 21J stem, I should have a couple of new ones in stock.