Sign in to follow this  
just looking

Stem doesn't seem to engage (repair help round 1)

just looking

Hello all, I beg you to excuse my noobishness, I'm a complete beginner. I'm going to ask you all for help with issues I'm having with a number of my replicas. First off we have this Breitling.

I went to change the battery (it gave such good time) and had to remove the stem to do it. Then when putting it back together, the stem just doesn't seem to be engaging with anything, it just falls out. I'm not sure what's happened, but does anyone have any ideas?

CbePlhz.jpg

rmw1QNE.jpg

DVoRy3j.jpg

If I need to post other pics, I'll be happy to. Cheers in advance for any help!!

kkz88

U need to buy new miyota stem bcos ur stem is broken that why u can't adjust.came out.

just looking
U need to buy new miyota stem bcos ur stem is broken that why u can't adjust.came out.

Thanks for the help! How can you tell that it's broken? I thought the point of the stem might have snapped, but nothing came out of the watch so wasn't sure.

just looking

And does anyone know which particular stem I need to get?

kkz88

U can get at eBay or cousinuk.

de9e9yqe.jpg

myaz

You don't remove the stem to replace the battery. That white plastic keeper lifts off and you can then access the battery. That'll be for next time.

If the stem goes all the way back in but doesn't stay put, you probably haven't messed up the keyless works and all should be OK.

Your stem doesn't look broken to me. See where it says "push" on the movement? That's the stem release that you fiddled with when you removed the stem. It needs to re engage that groove in the stem so that the stem stays put. Have a look to see if the catch on the stem release is not stuck first in the open position.

if you can't see well enough, you can remove the top plate and have a better look….nothing to lose because if you bugger it, kkz88 found a new movement for ya :thumbsup:

just looking

That's very helpful, thank you for the suggestion! I'll have a look and report back.

JSJ

Sorry myaz but the stem looks broken to me too. The end seems to be missing. What's left seems to be slightly bent too.

just looking

I did have a go at putting it back again, but it appears as though I'm not having any luck. And you're right JSJ, when I was looking at the stem before, it appeared to have a slight bend in it. Perhaps I applied too much pressure when putting it back in.

I'll order a new stem. Do you have any idea if the tip could have got stuck in the watch, as that would probably make it too difficult for me to repair.

JSJ

I'd say the most likely place for the tip is still in the watch. Maybe tapping will shift it? Maybe not.

For the money, you might as well buy a new movement imho.

just looking

I'd say the most likely place for the tip is still in the watch. Maybe tapping will shift it? Maybe not.

For the money, you might as well buy a new movement imho.

Hmm. I don't have the tools to replace a movement, I would feel like I'm doing a shabby job if I try to replace it without. Would you recommend trying to replace without tools for the hands etc? I might just try the stem.

Thanks for the advice!

JSJ

Yes understood. Although removing hands is not a huge job, it would be possible to foul it up.

If the broken part of the stem is inside though, the new stem won't fit.

myaz

Nice eye, JSJ. I couldn't see where the end of the stem could be sheared off. It doesn't make sense to order a new stem if the broken piece can't be wiggled out.

Removing hands on a new movement requires a single tool but that skinny seconds hand is extremely easy to mangle if you haven't done that before.

Beginner Watchmaking Book - Free PDF

This book shows crown kits on p 27, stem extensions on p 33 and how to install hands back on p 252.

just looking

Nice eye, JSJ. I couldn't see where the end of the stem could be sheared off. It doesn't make sense to order a new stem if the broken piece can't be wiggled out.

Removing hands on a new movement requires a single tool but that skinny seconds hand is extremely easy to mangle if you haven't done that before.

Beginner Watchmaking Book - Free PDF

This book shows crown kits on p 27, stem extensions on p 33 and how to install hands back on p 252.

Great, thanks for the words! The link doesn't allow me to access :(

myaz

Sorry, the link used to be able to allow us to download a copy. Here's a thread that shows where you can buy it for cheap if interested.

Free - "Beginner Watchmaking" book

I'd scan you some copies but the thing's copyrighted. :( :(