Sign in to follow this  
newtothisthing

316 stainless question.

newtothisthing

This may seem a dumb question so apologies......

Am I right to assume a Sub rep from all the trusted dealers on here would supply 316 grade stainless on cases and bracelets?

If not what would it be? A lesser grade stainless?

Thanks

sconehead

I remember reading a post on one of the forums where someone involved in metallurgy or something like that cut up a rep and tested it using 'spark tests' and the like. As I recall, the case turned out to be 316, the caseback and bracelet lesser grades. Remember, these are reps we're buying and so long as they're some grade of stainless it's all good, they're not going to rust on our wrists...:lol:

newtothisthing

Yeah, that's a fair comment I guess.

What would be the difference with the 940 grade on the real deal? Is it a weight thing or just higher grade = higher quality = higher expense?

The reason for the question is that some reps are advertised as 316, and some are not. That makes me think that if 316 is not detailed in the spec, then it will be a lesser grade.

Member X

I would think it fair to say that none of the watches from the Trusted Delers on here will supply a watch where the Stainless Steel will be a problem - do not worry about it!

NFleischer

The new thing is 316F which appears to be more brillant. Who knows what it actually is,

but it does seem abit more shiney.

greg_r
Yeah, that's a fair comment I guess.

What would be the difference with the 940 grade on the real deal? Is it a weight thing or just higher grade = higher quality = higher expense?

The reason for the question is that some reps are advertised as 316, and some are not. That makes me think that if 316 is not detailed in the spec, then it will be a lesser grade.

904L is harder - but only Rolex use it. Most other gens are 316.

As far as reps go, all of the more expensive stuff is 316. Some cheapies are 220, some 316. If the watch is over $130ish you can normally assume that it's 316 although, as Sconey said, sometimes you'll find that the back is 220.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it....