Sign in to follow this  
Ice_Man

Whats some of your unwritten/pet peeve watch fashion rules?

Ice_Man

Hey all,

As a younger member here on RWG, I think I speak for most of the younger members as the main reason many of us get into the hobby on the grounds more so of fashion and not horology. However, the more time I spend on this forum I begin to dive into the many threads of different movements and the history behind different brands. Although "wrist fashion" as I like to call it still plays an important part in my passion for this hobby. As I explain to my friends, there is always certain unwritten rules when it comes to how to properly and fashionably wear a watch. So I am asking you guys, what are some of your own unwritten rules or pet peeves you have for "wrist fashion"?

Here's some of mine:

-SS bracelet watches are your friend. Can be worn for almost all occasions and dress wear: Casual, Upscale casual (nice jeans, polo or button up) Business casual, Most business suits as long as the watch is not too outrageous. However, tend to stay away from sport watches on ss bracelets. A black sub, aqua terra, datejust are some models that work. (yeah I edited this after some members pointed the flaw out)

-(Pet peeve) In order to wear a watch with a brown leather band, My belt has to be brown, or I must be wearing khaki shorts or pants,

-Gold watches are a no, you're not Jordan Belfort and your not Jay Z so stop

-You watch color scheme has to somewhat go with your outfit. If you have a blue dress shirt on you probably shouldn't be wearing a Hulk.

-Beads are a no. Ask yourself "What beads did James Bond wear?" exactly. However the thread bracelets with the Anchors on them from Watch Bandits are kinda cool and I may buy one....may.

-(Pet peeve) I never wear a watch for more than 2 days back to back. Variety is the key in my book, and I always make sure every watch that I buy will get plenty of wrist time. If you buy a watch to just sit in the box then whats the point?

Ice out.

Realism

if anyone tells me what i should wear with my watch... I'd tell you to eff off...

I'd worn a PP and AP with sandals... so what???????????

fatarms

Don't ever wear your watch on your right hand, that's for chicks. And most chicks wear them on their left hands. What the hell are you thinking?

Also, bracelets with beads or whatever... again, chicks.

Those two things make me laugh when I see them in the wrist check threads.

Realism

although this one is funny and true

Ice_Man

if anyone tells me what i should wear with my watch... I'd tell you to eff off...

I say I wouldn't be telling you what or how to wear I'm just saying some of the fashion rules I live by. Some people care about them (more towards the younger crowd) and some people don't.

millionaire wannabe

Yep. You have to learn what works for you and sort of refine it over time. It's a process. Some people can wear a gold piece all day and look like a rock star or proper professional, others might simply look garish or like a pompous drug dealer. No matter what you're wearing, the trick to being fashionable and looking decent, but not appearing snooty or overly put together, (imo), is to make sure it matches your attitude and overall style. That's pretty much it, and you improvise from there. Of course, environment and what you're doing also have to be considerations. ... and then there's also the question of what you have in your watch armory and how you rotate wearing em. Some members here have so many watches they use random number generators or lotteries or whatever to help ensure truly random choosing. Personally, I'm starting to lose count on my collection. ... about 20-25 or so pieces at the moment. .. sometimes I wear the same watch for weeks on end, then I wear another for a day or two, then switch out to a piece that's maybe sat for months in one of my two boxes, etc. I have watches that haven't been worn in 3-6 months+, but don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Just taking care of em and saving for the right occasions. Usually don't sell just because it hasn't been worn in a bit. ..I think long and hard before making a purchase, and selling would just negate all the research, waiting, and trivialize my original decision to buy. Yeah, I guess you could say I'm in it for the long haul. Once I buy a watch I wear it and beat the smithereens out of it (over a long time lol) until it croaks, otherwise I'm going to have it until I croak! :D

zinnboy

Don't ever wear your watch on your right hand, that's for chicks. And most chicks wear them on their left hands. What the hell are you thinking?

Thought I was going to have to say it.

Pet peeve: Seeing people WEAR A SUB WITH A SUIT!!!! (though I live in a neighborhood where there was a block party and most of the other parents had a 16610 or a 14060 on and I felt kinda nice considering I chose the NSD that day and I didn't get any comments at all :)

mysterio

Wearing more than one watch on one wrist. Some have worn more than one watch but different wrists and you'd have to be able to pull it off. But two watches on the same wrist? That would tick me off. :lol:

Ice_Man

Ehh I can somewhat see a Black sub going with a lets just say standard business suit. IMO the sub doesn't have a strong presence apart from the name Rolex on the dial and the watch can easily slide under the cuff of the dress shirt. However my Prometheus Manta Ray diver should never be worn with a suit. The cuff would never be able to slide over that monster of a watch causing to sleeve to bunch up at the watch

millionaire wannabe

Come to think of it. .. wearing any pos plastic watch from the $20 or less category, with a SUIT!!!! HAVE SEEN BUSINESS PEOPLE ON TV DOING THIS AND IT LOOKS RETARDED! !! YES I'M YELLING BECAUSE IT PISSES ME OFF! :) whew. Had to get that out. But seriously, if you can't afford a better watch maybe you can't afford that suit either?

Realism

Wearing more than one watch on one wrist. Some have worn more than one watch but different wrists and you'd have to be able to pull it off. But two watches on the same wrist? That would tick me off. :lol:

I wore two watches before to go through airport security lol...

Ishmael

With one exception: a gold 6263. Nothing compares.

Lefty83g

I agree about the beads and other stuff but I'm a lefty and a watch on my right is the only way

narikaa

Gold watches why the hell not

Anal beads strung around your wrist though, WTF is that all about (some gay message thing?)

Also any other hippy type tat ...(take it off right now and post it to the sixties)

Mens bracelets are GOLD , and seldom less than 5 troy ounces in weight (any less is faggotry and we know where that leads don't we...yes you guessed it.....beads!)

;)

Conex

I agree about the beads and other stuff but I'm a lefty and a watch on my right is the only way

Steve McQueen wore his watches on his right wrist and i believe I can confidently say he was the coolest muthafunka ever and a total style icon. So you right wrist wearers out there have nothing to worry about. And for you younger generation, you might want to have a butchers at David Beckham. Right wrist. And he definitely ain't no chick.

Conex

I say I wouldn't be telling you what or how to wear I'm just saying some of the fashion rules I live by. Some people care about them (more towards the younger crowd) and some people don't.

And don't think for a minute that us 'oldies' don't care about 'fashion' as you put it. The difference is when you get old, you tend to have 'fashion rules' based on years of experience, not rules from the latest issue of GQ.

Conex
Hey all,

As a younger member here on RWG, I think I speak for most of the younger members as the main reason many of us get into the hobby on the grounds more so of fashion and not horology. However, the more time I spend on this forum I begin to dive into the many threads of different movements and the history behind different brands. Although "wrist fashion" as I like to call it still plays an important part in my passion for this hobby. As I explain to my friends, there is always certain unwritten rules when it comes to how to properly and fashionably wear a watch. So I am asking you guys, what are some of your own unwritten rules or pet peeves you have for "wrist fashion"?

Here's some of mine:

-SS bracelet watches are your friend. Can be worn for almost all occasions and dress wear: Casual, Upscale casual (nice jeans, polo or button up) Business casual, Most business suits as long as the watch is not too outrageous. However, tend to stay away from SS watches on black tie formal events.

-(Pet peeve) In order to wear a watch with a brown leather band, My belt has to be brown, or I must be wearing khaki shorts or pants,

-You watch color scheme has to somewhat go with your outfit. If you have a blue dress shirt on you probably shouldn't be wearing a Hulk.

-Beads are a no. Ask yourself "What beads did James Bond wear?" exactly. However the thread bracelets with the Anchors on them from Watch Bandits are kinda cool and I may buy one....may.

-(Pet peeve) I never wear a watch for more than 2 days back to back. Variety is the key in my book, and I always make sure every watch that I buy will get plenty of wrist time. If you buy a watch to just sit in the box then whats the point?

Ice out.

In my opinion SS watches to a black tie event is mandatory. Have you seen Daniel Craig/David Beckham/Bradley Cooper/Ryan Gosling/Oswald Boateng/etc lately. And for the oldies Paul Newman/Steve McQueen/etc wore SS to black tie events (I have seen many photos). If you want to talk about looking cool you can't go wrong taking tips from the aforementioned in my opinion. Just saying.

fatarms

David Beckham has a fucking tramp stamp. Not taking any pointers from that guy.

Ice_Man

And don't think for a minute that us 'oldies' don't care about 'fashion' as you put it. The difference is when you get old, you tend to have 'fashion rules' based on years of experience, not rules from the latest issue of GQ.

I didn't regard that as all older people don't care about fashion, but just younger folks tend to care more and go through fashion trends, but that is just part of life.

Hell I have an Uncle who was a career Navy man who got divorced after 17 years of marriage and then shorty retired as a chief petty officer....the man now lives in NYC as a building manger has gone completely metro sexual I mean he tans, wears burberry and Tom Ford, and saved off his beloved mustache. He went from driving a beat up chevy silverado (owned 2 before) to a bmw...you can't make this up. My point is there is proof that some older guys do care about fashion.

Conex

As for my own personal pet peeves, i don't get the watch thats worn so loose its flapping around all over the place. Fair enough to you people who do that, thats your prerogative, but i personally don't get it.

Conex

Not saying you have to mate. I was merely saying he is considered a fashion icon by millions of people.

Conex

Debates over subjective matters always come up with interesting opinions though, so i like threads like this. Good healthy debates and all that.

Ice_Man

Not saying you have to mate. I was merely saying he is considered a fashion icon by millions of people.

he does have a smoking hot wife though...

_DC_

You're kidding right? That mardy faced twiglet? I've seen better looking traffic cones!!

DC

Conex

You're kidding right? That mardy faced twiglet? I've seen better looking traffic cones!!

DC

And again, subjective ;)