Sign in to follow this  
Ice_Man

Whats some of your unwritten/pet peeve watch fashion rules?

RUSH2112

Interesting thread.

Mrs beckham, no. She's the type some guys like because the media has done a job on their brains.

Taking style points from "James Bond" or mr beckham, no.

I agree that style conventions say you should try to match strap, belt, shoes but I violate this on occasion.

I think it is now acceptable to wear ss with a business style suit but I doubt I would with a tux.

seclark007

Interesting thread, as you get a feel for a person when they describe their personal likes and dislikes. Accurate? I don't know about that part though :D

I agree with the comment about fitness, albeit has little to do with watch / jewellery pet peeves.

Style is personal. I believe it defines you, as in this day and age, folks tend to be extremely superficial.

I colour coordinate straps, belt, shoes. I believe S/S goes with anything. No huge watch with a tux, as elegance is supposed to be understated. Learn how to drink (and make) martini's... Learn how to cook a proper steak.. Blue and green still shouldn't be worn together... And even if you're ugly, checks dig guys with confidence... Just look at your average rock star

Wriggles

And even if you're ugly, checks dig guys with confidence... Just look at your average rock star

That's more the money than the confidence. Golddiggers the lot.

kenton23

I'm pushing 50, so stopped caring about fashion a long time ago. I do have taste however :-). Some of my personal watch rules are:

1) Never wear anything on an SS bracelet to a formal event.

2) Anything over 42mm and/or about 12 mm thick is a casual watch. I'd never wear a PAM with a suit.

3) I personally do the brown/black shoes/belt/strap coordination.

4) I have trouble wearing blue dial watches unless I'm wearing a white of blue (or combo there of) shirt. I just cant wear a blue dial with a black shirt for example. White/black/gray/silver dials go with everything.

5) To me, sports watches are for casual wear. While I wouldn't normally wear a diver/pilot/etc to a dinner or other non casual event, I will do when on holiday when I often bring only one watch. I know James Bond wears a PO with a tux, but not me.

6) I personally hate chronos, unless it's a really cool vintage piece or an IWC 3714.

7) I don't wear YG/RG anything.

Essentially I agree with all of this ^

Wriggles

Style icons everywhere will agree on one simple cardinal rule; confidence. It doesn't matter what you wear. It matters how you wear it.

Beads are pretty ghey, though. Exponentially so when worn on the same wrist as your watch.

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...opic=31195&st=0 5th picture down....

:Whistle:

James.

Style icons everywhere will agree on one simple cardinal rule; confidence. It doesn't matter what you wear. It matters how you wear it.

Beads are pretty ghey, though. Exponentially so when worn on the same wrist as your watch.

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...opic=31195&st=0 5th picture down....

:Whistle:

Refer to my disclaimer.

Frankt8242

The entire concept of "fashion" means that you give a shit about how others perceive you...

I DON'T!!

I wear what makes ME comfortable, and fulfills MY needs...Fuck everybody else!! :itchyandscratchy:

Frankt8242

Actually, Bond has never worn a PO with a Tux. SMP or Aqua Terra.

james_bond_omega_seamaster.jpg

omega-bond-seamaster-planet-ocean-600m-watch.jpg

Omega-Quantum-of-Solace-James-Bond-20081001b1a_jbw007.jpg

Well...Duh.....

There is really no such person.....He's simply a manifestation of Ian Fleming's imagination...(just in case some of you didn't already know THAT!!) :treadmill: :hangin:

:treadmill:

Kleen™

Well...Duh.....

There is really no such person.....He's simply a manifestation of Ian Fleming's imagination...(just in case some of you didn't already know THAT!!) :treadmill: :hangin:

....with the slight, albeit modification that Ian Fleming would never put an an Omega on Bond's wrist...the Rolex Explorer is the only Bond watch in my book. And Ian's...

Conex

Well...Duh.....

There is really no such person.....He's simply a manifestation of Ian Fleming's imagination...(just in case some of you didn't already know THAT!!) :treadmill::hangin:

I'd like to point out at this stage I said Daniel Craig, not James Bond. Daniel is a massive Rolex fan and in my opinion (in my opinion) a style icon. I met him here in Dubai and we had a lengthy conversation about vintage Rolex's. A stellar chap.

BentleySharp

I'm pushing 50, so stopped caring about fashion a long time ago. I do have taste however :-). Some of my personal watch rules are:

2) Anything over 42mm and/or about 12 mm thick is a casual watch. I'd never wear a PAM with a suit.

4) I have trouble wearing blue dial watches unless I'm wearing a white of blue (or combo there of) shirt. I just cant wear a blue dial with a black shirt for example. White/black/gray/silver dials go with everything.

5) To me, sports watches are for casual wear. While I wouldn't normally wear a diver/pilot/etc to a dinner or other non casual event, I will do when on holiday when I often bring only one watch. I know James Bond wears a PO with a tux, but not me.

6) I personally hate chronos, unless it's a really cool vintage piece or an IWC 3714.

This above basically sums it up...

Gold. Some men can pull it off, and some can't. It has to do more with your personality and your 'swagger', ie: how you carry and compose yourself. For me, two tone is the goldilocks. Just the right balance between SS and gold. Not too plain and not too flashy.

Sport watches with a suit is a big pet peev of mine... It's like seeing men wearing slip-on leather shoes, like loafers or whatnot, with a suit. I see it everyday, and everyday I cringe when I see it.

James Bond can wear a sports watch with a suit because he's doing sports type stuff in a suit, riding motorcycles and driving sports cars, shooting guns, jumping out of airplanes, etc... If I see another man doing that stuff in a suit and wearing a sports watch, then that's fine... but if you're not jumping over a flying helicopter on a motorcycle from rooftop to rooftop, then save the sports watch for the weekend.

myaz

Brown on brown, no SS here, dress watches for suits, etc. these are all self imposed rules, if taken to an excess, lead us back to the rigid etiquette of what people wore to the royal courts of yesteryear, starting with laced corsets.

Being over 50, I often like to flaunt rules and be contrarian, but I wouldn't swim with a leather band or wear any of Mayweathers' bling. I'll save that for over 70.

nuttcrac69

This is basically it for me as well.

Ice_Man

Basically I started this thread to see what some of your own fashion rules are and also to share some of mine. I don't think that there is a set law to what or how you should wear on your wrist. These were jst some of my rules that I live by.

Now onto the Bond issue...The reason Bond comes up so often is that he often the idol for people of many different generations. From those who grew up during the days of Sean Connery as Bond, to more of my generation growing up with Daniel Craig. Just his sense of style and personality is something we all wish to mimic.

However if you were to actually break it down, Kleen and Conex are actually right; Bond would never wear an Omega he would most definitely be wearing a Rolex. The Omega while a great brand on Bond is the mastermind of cooperate advertising and marketing. Bond would be wearing a submariner, explorer, and possibly a skydeller or datejust. The only reason they have Craig wear even a PO with a suit is for advertising/marketing reasons. Conex is also right to point out Craig is a huge Rolex fan and is why you don't see Craig as an Omega ambassador. If Craig had his choice in the films, Bond would wear a Rolex.

onionbag

You lost my sympathy at khaki shorts, Gunner Graham.

fatarms

I just wanted to stir some shit up :lol:

It worked.

RichardMiami

Proof that I am older than any of you:

I wear the watch I want with whatever I want, anytime I want, anywhere I want. Fuck em all if they can't take a joke!

Any person who is going to judge me by fashion standards is NOT someone I want anything to do with.

As you age, (I am going to be 100 soon) you will learn what is important in life and what is not. Fashion, young men, is in the latter category.

:brightlight:

BaggyPants

+1

Hornet

I'm going out tonight and will be wearing a sarong, sandals with white socks, and a muscle vest; should I wear the gold rolex or my diamond encrusted cartier watch?

RichardMiami

I'm going out tonight and will be wearing a sarong, sandals with white socks, and a muscle vest; should I wear the gold rolex or my diamond encrusted cartier watch?

The diamond Cartier.. but only if you wear it on your right wrist - dial facing INWARD

fatarms
:lol:

Hornet

The diamond Cartier.. but only if you wear it on your right wrist - dial facing INWARD

OMG, you are so right! Thanks that's my clothes dilemma sorted....

....apart from thong or commando?

RichardMiami

"thong or commando" is dependent entirely on how much fabric softener you used when you last washed the sarong.......

Hornet
David Beckham has a fucking tramp stamp. Not taking any pointers from that guy.

Not saying you have to mate. I was merely saying he is considered a fashion icon by millions of people.

he does have a smoking hot wife though...

You're kidding right? That mardy faced twiglet? I've seen better looking traffic cones!!

DC

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hornet

"thong or commando" is dependent entirely on how much fabric softener you used when you last washed the sarong.......

Commando it is then, just need to moisturise my balls (I read GQ and it said to do that, or was it the face....?) and I'm away......