Sign in to follow this  
Ice_Man

Whats some of your unwritten/pet peeve watch fashion rules?

zinnboy
Don't ever wear your watch on your right hand, that's for chicks. And most chicks wear them on their left hands. What the hell are you thinking?

Also, bracelets with beads or whatever... again, chicks.

Those two things make me laugh when I see them in the wrist check threads.

I agree about the beads and other stuff but I'm a lefty and a watch on my right is the only way

Steve McQueen wore his watches on his right wrist and i believe I can confidently say he was the coolest muthafunka ever and a total style icon. So you right wrist wearers out there have nothing to worry about. And for you younger generation, you might want to have a butchers at David Beckham. Right wrist. And he definitely ain't no chick.

Maybe he was just misguided or an idiot?

Actually, Bond has never worn a PO with a Tux. SMP or Aqua Terra.

james_bond_omega_seamaster.jpg

omega-bond-seamaster-planet-ocean-600m-watch.jpg

Omega-Quantum-of-Solace-James-Bond-20081001b1a_jbw007.jpg

Hmm...

Left Coast Guy

First of all, I don't love too many fashion "rules", like folks have said its all about your personal style and what you feel comfortable in. If you look uncomfortable, you're going to look bad, regardless of how expensive your garments and jewelry may be (or look in our case).

As far as some of the key themes here:

-- I don't have a problem with gold, its just an outdated look in the US. You better want to look 50+

-- Belt, shoes, and watch strap (if leather) do need to match

-- Past a watch and wedding ring, you got maybe one more piece of jewelry before you start looking girlie....choose wisely.

-- I don't buy into colors matching, we're not robots here.

A few definite no-nos:

-- Wearing their Timex Ironman or G-Shock to work; I see it all the time and its tacky as hell

-- Unless you're a lefty (and your watch is a lefty) wear your watch on your left wrist. Wearing your watch on the right wrist is a tell for the unpolished, kind of like using your fork with your right hand. (It goes on the left side of your plate for a reason....)

-- Not going to nit-pick about whether you can wear a PAM with a suit, but whatever you wear needs to fit under a dress shirt. The young banker crowd was into the oversize Breitlings a few years back and it looked terrible to have one sleeve pulled up all the time.

Conex
Don't ever wear your watch on your right hand, that's for chicks. And most chicks wear them on their left hands. What the hell are you thinking?

I agree about the beads and other stuff but I'm a lefty and a watch on my right is the only way

Steve McQueen wore his watches on his right wrist and i believe I can confidently say he was the coolest muthafunka ever and a total style icon. So you right wrist wearers out there have nothing to worry about. And for you younger generation, you might want to have a butchers at David Beckham. Right wrist. And he definitely ain't no chick.

Hmm...

If you are calling The McQueen an idiot old chap then that's fighting talk. If you're referring to Beckham then thats fine. Carry on. But not The McQueen. He's had more 'cool' in his left big toenail than any of us could ever hope to have.

Conex
First of all, I don't love too many fashion "rules", like folks have said its all about your personal style and what you feel comfortable in. If you look uncomfortable, you're going to look bad, regardless of how expensive your garments and jewelry may be (or look in our case).

As far as some of the key themes here:

-- I don't have a problem with gold, its just an outdated look in the US. You better want to look 50+

-- Belt, shoes, and watch strap (if leather) do need to match

-- Past a watch and wedding ring, you got maybe one more piece of jewelry before you start looking girlie....choose wisely.

-- I don't buy into colors matching, we're not robots here.

A few definite no-nos:

-- Wearing their Timex Ironman or G-Shock to work; I see it all the time and its tacky as hell

-- Unless you're a lefty (and your watch is a lefty) wear your watch on your left wrist. Wearing your watch on the right wrist is a tell for the unpolished, kind of like using your fork with your right hand. (It goes on the left side of your plate for a reason....)

-- Not going to nit-pick about whether you can wear a PAM with a suit, but whatever you wear needs to fit under a dress shirt. The young banker crowd was into the oversize Breitlings a few years back and it looked terrible to have one sleeve pulled up all the time.

A few contradictions in there old bean. And the whole lefty righty thing? I think someone can wear their watch on whatever wrist they choose. What a ridiculous thing to think otherwise.

Hornet

Hmm...

If you are calling The McQueen an idiot old chap then that's fighting talk. If you're referring to Beckham then thats fine. Carry on. But not The McQueen. He's had more 'cool' in his left big toenail than any of us could ever hope to have.

What exactly makes him cool in your eyes?

Hornet

Hey all,

As a younger member here on RWG, I think I speak for most of the younger members as the main reason many of us get into the hobby on the grounds more so of fashion and not horology. However, the more time I spend on this forum I begin to dive into the many threads of different movements and the history behind different brands. Although "wrist fashion" as I like to call it still plays an important part in my passion for this hobby. As I explain to my friends, there is always certain unwritten rules when it comes to how to properly and fashionably wear a watch. So I am asking you guys, what are some of your own unwritten rules or pet peeves you have for "wrist fashion"?

Here's some of mine:

-SS bracelet watches are your friend. Can be worn for almost all occasions and dress wear: Casual, Upscale casual (nice jeans, polo or button up) Business casual, Most business suits as long as the watch is not too outrageous. However, tend to stay away from sport watches on ss bracelets. A black sub, aqua terra, datejust are some models that work. (yeah I edited this after some members pointed the flaw out)

-(Pet peeve) In order to wear a watch with a brown leather band, My belt has to be brown, or I must be wearing khaki shorts or pants,

-Gold watches are a no, you're not Jordan Belfort and your not Jay Z so stop

-You watch color scheme has to somewhat go with your outfit. If you have a blue dress shirt on you probably shouldn't be wearing a Hulk.

-Beads are a no. Ask yourself "What beads did James Bond wear?" exactly. However the thread bracelets with the Anchors on them from Watch Bandits are kinda cool and I may buy one....may.

-(Pet peeve) I never wear a watch for more than 2 days back to back. Variety is the key in my book, and I always make sure every watch that I buy will get plenty of wrist time. If you buy a watch to just sit in the box then whats the point?

Ice out.

Do you, as a young person, wear "sagging" trousers per chance? If so what watch goes with this look?

Young-men-in-sagging-trou-007.jpg

Conex

Hmm...

What makes McQueen cool? Are you mental? :) Read any of Marshall Terrill's books about him, come back, and then we'll talk.

Hey all,

As a younger member here on RWG, I think I speak for most of the younger members as the main reason many of us get into the hobby on the grounds more so of fashion and not horology. However, the more time I spend on this forum I begin to dive into the many threads of different movements and the history behind different brands. Although "wrist fashion" as I like to call it still plays an important part in my passion for this hobby. As I explain to my friends, there is always certain unwritten rules when it comes to how to properly and fashionably wear a watch. So I am asking you guys, what are some of your own unwritten rules or pet peeves you have for "wrist fashion"?

Here's some of mine:

-SS bracelet watches are your friend. Can be worn for almost all occasions and dress wear: Casual, Upscale casual (nice jeans, polo or button up) Business casual, Most business suits as long as the watch is not too outrageous. However, tend to stay away from sport watches on ss bracelets. A black sub, aqua terra, datejust are some models that work. (yeah I edited this after some members pointed the flaw out)

-(Pet peeve) In order to wear a watch with a brown leather band, My belt has to be brown, or I must be wearing khaki shorts or pants,

-You watch color scheme has to somewhat go with your outfit. If you have a blue dress shirt on you probably shouldn't be wearing a Hulk.

-Beads are a no. Ask yourself "What beads did James Bond wear?" exactly. However the thread bracelets with the Anchors on them from Watch Bandits are kinda cool and I may buy one....may.

-(Pet peeve) I never wear a watch for more than 2 days back to back. Variety is the key in my book, and I always make sure every watch that I buy will get plenty of wrist time. If you buy a watch to just sit in the box then whats the point?

Ice out.

Do you, as a young person, wear "sagging" trousers per chance? If so what watch goes with this look?

Yeh now that I don't get.

onionbag

Hornet

Hmm...

What makes McQueen cool? Are you mental? :) Read any of Marshall Terrill's books about him, come back, and then we'll talk.

Hey all,

Here's some of mine:

Ice out.

Only trying to get a rise about old Stevie; he was cool. He liked motorbikes, did his own stunts and competed in motorsports......

....and he just looked fucking cool.

....bet he didn't get up in the morning and worry about which watch went with his outfit.

Hornet

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Conex

Hmm...

Hey all,

Here's some of mine:

Ice out.

Only trying to get a rise about old Stevie; he was cool. He liked motorbikes, did his own stunts and competed in motorsports......

....bet he didn't get up in the morning and worry about which watch went with his outfit.

Yes i have to admit i was a bit surprised being as you are obviously into your motorbikes. Well touche my friend. You succeeded in getting a McQueen rise out of me. You should defo look up some of the Marshall Terrill books. Some great info and pictures on his love for bikes.

Hornet

Hmm...

Hey all,

Here's some of mine:

Ice out.

Yes i have to admit i was a bit surprised being as you are obviously into your motorbikes. Well touche my friend. You succeeded in getting a McQueen rise out of me. You should defo look up some of the Marshall Terrill books. Some great info and pictures on his love for bikes.

Haven't got time to read books, I'm too busy: reading GQ for beard styling tips, choosing my outfits and bleaching my ring......

Conex

What on Gods good earth is GQ? ;)

Conex

It's Gentleman's Quarterly magazine.....

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/

I personally prefer the intellectual stimulation of:

http://www.loaded.co.uk/

......not.

Yeh sorry i was joking. Loaded, GQ, Esquire etc. would rather read toilet paper. At least I can use it afterwards for a nice comfortable,soft wiping action.

Hornet

It's Gentleman's Quarterly magazine.....

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/

I personally prefer the intellectual stimulation of:

http://www.loaded.co.uk/

......not.

Yeh sorry i was joking. Loaded, GQ, Esquire etc. would rather read toilet paper. At least I can use it afterwards for a nice comfortable,soft wiping action.

Yep, even my arse would turn it's nose up at GQ.......

Realism

so many fashionistas in RWG

Kaiser

It's all very well to colour coordinate your belt and shoes however, matching your belt, shoes and watch strap is IMO way over the top and quite frankly a bit ghey.... Not that there's anything wrong with that of course

Baldrick

You're all......and I mean ALL.......a shower of wannabes. ......and failing fucking miserably at it :B):

DR3M3L
You're all......and I mean ALL.......a shower of wannabes. ......and failing fucking miserably at it :B):

Once again, such a great addition to the board. Thanks for your input B.

:wave:

Conex

Once again, such a great addition to the board. Thanks for your input B.

:wave:

Hahaha

zinnboy

Sorry, I quoted the post with the pic w/ James Bond in it and now these pet peeves are becoming tougher to read. Another pet peeve of mine is not having enough money to buy two reps so you've got to find which one speaks better to you, and then as soon as you get more funds you have to buy the other. Although I have a small collection I'm enjoying myself.

Conex

Sorry, I quoted the post with the pic w/ James Bond in it and now these pet peeves are becoming tougher to read. Another pet peeve of mine is not having enough money to buy two reps so you've got to find which one speaks better to you, and then as soon as you get more funds you have to buy the other. Although I have a small collection I'm enjoying myself.

Haha so we could basically say a pet peeve for some of us is not having enough money to buy whatever we want. I'll go with that mate.

derzenit

Hey all,

Here's some of mine:

Ice out.

As a young men myself I can say you can sport this look with a stunner like this:

Rolex.jpg

Edited by derzenit

nuttcrac69

Haha so we could basically say a pet peeve for some of us is not having enough money to buy whatever we want. I'll go with that mate.

+1000