Sign in to follow this  
Ice_Man

Whats some of your unwritten/pet peeve watch fashion rules?

Conex

Fashion is what you are comfortable wearing and not what others tell you :yiddishe:

I'd say that was 'Style' rather than fashion, but that's just semantics I guess.

Conex

Divers are casual watches, not formal attire. 007 wearing a Seamaster to a formal event is stupid; us mere mortals doing something similar is equally stupid.

I wouldn't take it too seriously mate. 1)Bond is not real 2)Omega would have decided what he wore

Hornet

Fashion is what you are comfortable wearing and not what others tell you :yiddishe:

I'd say that was 'Style' rather than fashion, but that's just semantics I guess.

+1

Hornet

Divers are casual watches, not formal attire. 007 wearing a Seamaster to a formal event is stupid; us mere mortals doing something similar is equally stupid.

Who decided that you couldn't wear a divers watch to a formal event?! And for anyone else who really cares read these links:

http://www.wikihow.com/Wear-a-Watch

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/ask-watch-experts/what-are-watch-wearing-style-rules/

http://www.gq.com/style/style-guy/accessories/200102/wrist-watch

http://mensfashion.about.com/od/watches/tp/Mens_Watch_Guide.htm

.....loads of bollocks really, as I wear the watch I feeling like wearing, not what goes with my pants and sock.....

......just thought that some more crap from the web would fire things up again. :giggle:

Conex

Who decided that you couldn't wear a divers watch to a formal event?! And for anyone else who really cares read these links:

http://www.ablogtowa...ng-style-rules/

http://www.gq.com/st...102/wrist-watch

http://mensfashion.a...Watch_Guide.htm

.....loads of bollocks really, as I wear the watch I feeling like wearing, not what goes with my pants and sock.....

......just thought that some more crap from the web would fire things up again. :giggle:

Wholeheartedly agree.

DR3M3L

Wholeheartedly agree.

Makes 3 of us.

Hornet

Wholeheartedly agree.

Makes 3 of us.

Why thank you gents!

J!m

I think a serious misconception is that "expensive" watches are "formal" watches. But, this is not the case.

A sub is a sports watch- appropriate with a polo shirt for example, doing outdoors sporty crap. Regardless of the fact that is cost you seven grand (or more?), it is not appropriate for wear with a jacket, and absolutely not appropriate with a jacket and tie. I think the worst idea ever conceived was when Rolex decided o make the sub in gold. I think that was the beginning of the end for the dresss/sport watch clear line of demarcation. The only expection to this would be if you were an endorcee of the watch brand, and "tied" to a particular model from them. In this case, when in public, you would be expected to be wearing a particular watch.

If you must wear Rolex, an Air-King is far more appropriate than a sub, regardless of cost, in a more formal setting.

If you have a leather band on your watch, I think it is in good taste to have the material match- shoes and belt should match anyway, (I hope you're not that guy with a red-brown belt and black shoes?) take it to the next level and have a matching watch strap. For all the mniscule details we all obsess over with reps, it is amazing that so little care goes into one's own appearance. If nothing else, it is an excuse to get yet another watch strap or complete watch!

Metals should match. Silver/stainless/platinum/rhodium are all close enough to me to be interchangable. Non-plated white gold tends to look a bit warmer, so you might want a better match here. Yellow and rose gold should be worn together. Ring(s), cuff links etc. (allthough there should not be much in the way of "etc." in my opinion) should be the same metal.

Someone else said: wedding ring and watch, much more is pushing it in the men's jewelry department... I wear a white gold band and my watches are all stainless. The ring is a bit warmer now that the rhodium is gone, but it works well enough.

Tuxedo? Pocket watch. WAY classier, and a vintage piece really brings it home. I carried my Grandfather's Hamilton for my wedding...

I never understood precious gems on a watch either.

DR3M3L
I think a serious misconception is that "expensive" watches are "formal" watches. But, this is not the case.

A sub is a sports watch- appropriate with a polo shirt for example, doing outdoors sporty crap. Regardless of the fact that is cost you seven grand (or more?), it is not appropriate for wear with a jacket, and absolutely not appropriate with a jacket and tie. I think the worst idea ever conceived was when Rolex decided o make the sub in gold. I think that was the beginning of the end for the dresss/sport watch clear line of demarcation. The only expection to this would be if you were an endorcee of the watch brand, and "tied" to a particular model from them. In this case, when in public, you would be expected to be wearing a particular watch.

If you must wear Rolex, an Air-King is far more appropriate than a sub, regardless of cost, in a more formal setting.

If you have a leather band on your watch, I think it is in good taste to have the material match- shoes and belt should match anyway, (I hope you're not that guy with a red-brown belt and black shoes?) take it to the next level and have a matching watch strap. For all the mniscule details we all obsess over with reps, it is amazing that so little care goes into one's own appearance. If nothing else, it is an excuse to get yet another watch strap or complete watch!

Metals should match. Silver/stainless/platinum/rhodium are all close enough to me to be interchangable. Non-plated white gold tends to look a bit warmer, so you might want a better match here. Yellow and rose gold should be worn together. Ring(s), cuff links etc. (allthough there should not be much in the way of "etc." in my opinion) should be the same metal.

Someone else said: wedding ring and watch, much more is pushing it in the men's jewelry department... I wear a white gold band and my watches are all stainless. The ring is a bit warmer now that the rhodium is gone, but it works well enough.

Tuxedo? Pocket watch. WAY classier, and a vintage piece really brings it home. I carried my Grandfather's Hamilton for my wedding...

:thumbsup2: bravo!

Ice_Man

Thank you sir, put that in better words than I could hence why I was crucified for my OP. Glad to know someone has the same viewpoint.

On the other hand, last time I make a thought provoking thread thats turns into pages of bickering. I guess I just stick to "hey which one of these should I buy" threads haha

Hornet

You're thinking about this waaaaaaay too much..... ;)

......none of my friends judge me on whether my watch and outfit match and where I work no one would judge me on my watch, let along whether it matches my shoes; I'm judged on my performance (which is a bummer, if they judged me on my Pam it'd be bonus central....!). Just to point out I do take care of my appearance clothes-wise, but just not to this level!

Hornet

Thank you sir, put that in better words than I could hence why I was crucified for my OP. Glad to know someone has the same viewpoint.

On the other hand, last time I make a thought provoking thread thats turns into pages of bickering. I guess I just stick to "hey which one of these should I buy" threads haha

Hey Iceman, don't get disheartened! You've got people out there who think the same as you and care about this as much as you.....

.....and others who don't. You've started a good thread here, but remember with polarizing topics like this they generally descend into bickering!

Beefalope

Hey Iceman, don't get disheartened! You've got people out there who think the same as you and care about this as much as you.....

.....and others who don't. You've started a good thread here, but remember with polarizing topics like this they generally descend into bickering!

Without bickering, I will say that I generally agree with Jim's point that Subs -- and other divers -- are not ideal as formal wear. Divers generally have busy designs, and that lends itself well to being a sport watch because a busy design attracts more attention. Formal watches, on the other hand, are more simple, and they're meant to blend into your overall outfit.

Who decides? Well, I decide. Obviously, this is my personal opinion. People are free to agree or disagree with it. I'm not trying to make a general statement on fashion trends because, frankly, I don't give a shit about that kind of thing.

Hornet

Without bickering, I will say that I generally agree with Jim's point that Subs -- and other divers -- are not ideal as formal wear. Divers generally have busy designs, and that lends itself well to being a sport watch because a busy design attracts more attention. Formal watches, on the other hand, are more simple, and they're meant to blend into your overall outfit.

Who decides? Well, I decide. Obviously, this is my personal opinion. People are free to agree or disagree with it. I'm not trying to make a general statement on fashion trends because, frankly, I don't give a shit about that kind of thing.

Does anyone wear any of their 'sports' watches whilst doing any sporting activities?! I wouldn't wear my PO swimming, it ain't that water proof and I'd not wear it rock climbing as it would get scratched to fuck!

Beefalope

Does anyone wear any of their 'sports' watches whilst doing any sporting activities?! I wouldn't wear my PO swimming, it ain't that water proof and I'd not wear it rock climbing as it would get scratched to fuck!

I once wore my PO while fucking. Is that a sporting activity?

Kleen™

No. So you and your boyfriend can relax...

Hornet

Qualifies in my book mate, but where were you wearing it?

Hornet

So wrong; horizontal jogging is most definitely a sporting activity.....

.....with girls or boys.

Kleen™

.....with girls or boys.

O'Reilley... I thought it was a social excercise in male bonding?

Beefalope

If you say "no," then perhaps you're just not doing it right. My boyfriend and I can show you the proper way, sweetheart.

Hornet

.....with girls or boys.

O'Reilley... I thought it was a social excercise in male bonding?

It's not male bonding when me and the missus indulge..... :rofl:

Hornet

If you say "no," then perhaps you're just not doing it right. My boyfriend and I can show you the proper way, sweetheart.

An offer of a threesome, with an educational slant, fantastic! This thread is just getting better....

Realism

beefalope is a she-male

Kleen™

I'm sure you can...:-)

Mystery Shopper

Fashion changes over time. Gold watches will make a comeback soon. Some people never gave up on gold.

av-5524.gif