Sign in to follow this  
Ice_Man

Whats some of your unwritten/pet peeve watch fashion rules?

Baldrick

Ohh...what's wrong...did I keep you 2x ladies waiting....my bad....I was out having a life....!

His debating methods bore me.

Yeah.....they bore you right to the point of where you have the affrontery to send me a PM .....BEGGING for my help to get your arse out of a pickle.......you're a cheeky fukker...I'll give you that....you want to piss up my back and expect me to help you in return...that's bold....fukkin' stupid...but bold....!!!

As for you Joran.....you can puff your chest up as much as you like...you're NOT a watch-smith.....as for Greg giving you approval....he can't stop you.....there's no precedent for doing so....but then Mike McNair / Olly and numerous others received the same approbation.....even Greg...mighty as he is...can't MAKE you a watch-smith....you're just NOT...if you don't believe it...go apply for a job at any AD service centre....I think you'll find you need a little more paperwork than "I'VE HAD SOME LESSONS OVER A PINT AT THE PUB WITH A WATCH-SMITH"....and....some of the members on a fake watch forum let me tinker with their watches...... !!!

Baldrick
Gold watches will make a comeback soon. Some people never gave up on gold.

^^^^ this !

Beefalope

beefalope is a she-male

Have you been watching my videos on the web?

Ice_Man

I think a serious misconception is that "expensive" watches are "formal" watches. But, this is not the case.

A sub is a sports watch- appropriate with a polo shirt for example, doing outdoors sporty crap. Regardless of the fact that is cost you seven grand (or more?), it is not appropriate for wear with a jacket, and absolutely not appropriate with a jacket and tie. I think the worst idea ever conceived was when Rolex decided o make the sub in gold. I think that was the beginning of the end for the dresss/sport watch clear line of demarcation. The only expection to this would be if you were an endorcee of the watch brand, and "tied" to a particular model from them. In this case, when in public, you would be expected to be wearing a particular watch.

If you must wear Rolex, an Air-King is far more appropriate than a sub, regardless of cost, in a more formal setting.

If you have a leather band on your watch, I think it is in good taste to have the material match- shoes and belt should match anyway, (I hope you're not that guy with a red-brown belt and black shoes?) take it to the next level and have a matching watch strap. For all the mniscule details we all obsess over with reps, it is amazing that so little care goes into one's own appearance. If nothing else, it is an excuse to get yet another watch strap or complete watch!

Metals should match. Silver/stainless/platinum/rhodium are all close enough to me to be interchangable. Non-plated white gold tends to look a bit warmer, so you might want a better match here. Yellow and rose gold should be worn together. Ring(s), cuff links etc. (allthough there should not be much in the way of "etc." in my opinion) should be the same metal.

Someone else said: wedding ring and watch, much more is pushing it in the men's jewelry department... I wear a white gold band and my watches are all stainless. The ring is a bit warmer now that the rhodium is gone, but it works well enough.

Tuxedo? Pocket watch. WAY classier, and a vintage piece really brings it home. I carried my Grandfather's Hamilton for my wedding...

I never understood precious gems on a watch either.

Thank you sir, put that in better words than I could hence why I was crucified for my OP. Glad to know someone has the same viewpoint.

On the other hand, last time I make a thought provoking thread thats turns into pages of bickering. I guess I just stick to "hey which one of these should I buy" threads haha

Hey Iceman, don't get disheartened! You've got people out there who think the same as you and care about this as much as you.....

.....and others who don't. You've started a good thread here, but remember with polarizing topics like this they generally descend into bickering!

Thanks mate, I also think fashion or look preferences vary across location. A college student in the SouthEastern US (for me recent grad) is going to have difference of opinion on looks than people across the US and even more across the pond. Down here we love our Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, and our short khaki shorts with sperries (boat shoes).

Also I want to clear one thing up: I never let the opinions of others on how I dress effect me. I just take pride in looking good and for me, I believe in this saying...

"If you're looking good...then you're feeling good."

RUSH2112

I think a serious misconception is that "expensive" watches are "formal" watches. But, this is not the case.

A sub is a sports watch- appropriate with a polo shirt for example, doing outdoors sporty crap. Regardless of the fact that is cost you seven grand (or more?), it is not appropriate for wear with a jacket, and absolutely not appropriate with a jacket and tie. I think the worst idea ever conceived was when Rolex decided o make the sub in gold. I think that was the beginning of the end for the dresss/sport watch clear line of demarcation. The only expection to this would be if you were an endorcee of the watch brand, and "tied" to a particular model from them. In this case, when in public, you would be expected to be wearing a particular watch.

If you must wear Rolex, an Air-King is far more appropriate than a sub, regardless of cost, in a more formal setting.

If you have a leather band on your watch, I think it is in good taste to have the material match- shoes and belt should match anyway, (I hope you're not that guy with a red-brown belt and black shoes?) take it to the next level and have a matching watch strap. For all the mniscule details we all obsess over with reps, it is amazing that so little care goes into one's own appearance. If nothing else, it is an excuse to get yet another watch strap or complete watch!

Metals should match. Silver/stainless/platinum/rhodium are all close enough to me to be interchangable. Non-plated white gold tends to look a bit warmer, so you might want a better match here. Yellow and rose gold should be worn together. Ring(s), cuff links etc. (allthough there should not be much in the way of "etc." in my opinion) should be the same metal.

Someone else said: wedding ring and watch, much more is pushing it in the men's jewelry department... I wear a white gold band and my watches are all stainless. The ring is a bit warmer now that the rhodium is gone, but it works well enough.

Tuxedo? Pocket watch. WAY classier, and a vintage piece really brings it home. I carried my Grandfather's Hamilton for my wedding...

I never understood precious gems on a watch either.

Thank you sir, put that in better words than I could hence why I was crucified for my OP. Glad to know someone has the same viewpoint.

On the other hand, last time I make a thought provoking thread thats turns into pages of bickering. I guess I just stick to "hey which one of these should I buy" threads haha

Crucified? Lol. You should see some older threads here and you would know the difference between this interesting discussion and a crucifixion. You've got quite a successful thread here; men arguing fashion, people with fashion rules more strict than the standing orders given to soldiers, and a nice little mini flame war to boot.

rusty peters

I would never wear a PO during sex. The bracelet would get snagged in the sheep's wool. That would totally kill the mood.

Black Diamond

Does anyone wear any of their 'sports' watches whilst doing any sporting activities?! I wouldn't wear my PO swimming, it ain't that water proof and I'd not wear it rock climbing as it would get scratched to fuck!

Yes, I wear the fuck out of my sports watches. Diving, beaching, climbing, kayaking washing the cars etc etc. Each watch has a dedicated purpose so will wear whichever is appropriate on the day. I also work in construction so have a specific work watch that can sometimes be bashed around and yet all my watches work perfectly and have minor wear marks.

I wear what I want for me and nobody else. As long as I think it matches it matches. 90% of the time I'm in shorts, a t shirt with flip flops and I'll still Don a ss bracelet. I honestly do believe though that a suit and watch combo should match because it just looks off. But then again I also wear my watch on my right wrist so fuck yall!

quickdrawmcgraw
Don't ever wear your watch on your right hand, that's for chicks. And most chicks wear them on their left hands. What the hell are you thinking? Also, bracelets with beads or whatever... again, chicks. Those two things make me laugh when I see them in the wrist check threads.

someone looking for me?

narikaa

Gold watches never went away

Only more 'soup kitchen queuers' appeared with their 'gold! £20 a gram!! whoa I could carry that off' mewing lament

and BTW

555.jpg

:)

James.

Well, look's like I missed a trick here, had to go back and re-read the last few pages, jolly stuff. Joran-duran vs Balders. That's one I've not witnessed before. :popcorn:

The only addition i'd make to the tinder that sparked this tres bon-fire would be...

You're We're all......and I mean ALL.......a shower of wannabes. ......and failing fucking miserably at it :B):

By definition, anyone who owns a replica anything wants to be something they're not; an owner of the original or at the very least alluding to being one :lol:

Oh, and gold watches are the beezneez. Gold + black more so than gold + white colour scheme wise, but whatevs. A simple gold watch will never go out of style.

rusty peters
Well, look's like I missed a trick here, had to go back and re-read the last few pages, jolly stuff. Joran-duran vs Balders. That's one I've not witnessed before. :popcorn: The only addition i'd make to the tinder that sparked this tres bon-fire would be...
You're We're all......and I mean ALL.......a shower of wannabes. ......and failing fucking miserably at it :B):
By definition, anyone who owns a replica anything wants to be something they're not; an owner of the original or at the very least alluding to being one :lol: Oh, and gold watches are the beezneez. Gold + black more so than gold + white colour scheme wise, but whatevs. A simple gold watch will never go out of style.

Well said! Pretty soon, we will be discussing whether to put a cucumber or a banana in our jeans. Nothing like a Spinal Tap moment to compliment our fake watches.

willj1991

I agree with a lot of this as a younger member. I like personally like clean lines and simplicity. My collection is modest (3 watches - Pam 111 (Asso), Omega LMPO and an AP Diver V6), and I personally feel it reflects my tastes.

I especially agree that Gold in my opinion, just doesn't belong on a watch. Rose gold is ok I think on some brown, leather strapped hublots, or maybe a bronzed Panerai Submersible, something like that.

But yellow gold Rolexes and the like, for me are one of the most classless, tacky watches going, only surpassed for outright garishness by "two tone" watches where yellow gold and stainless steel are combined. I personally find it awful.

But hey, that's just me hahaha :boxedin::fishing:

Edited by willj1991

cogwatch

As for my own personal pet peeves, i don't get the watch thats worn so loose its flapping around all over the place. Fair enough to you people who do that, thats your prerogative, but i personally don't get it.

^^^^^^^^^ This. It's not a bracelet, it's a watch for God's sake :-)

rusty peters

It's funny how two tone watches are taking a real beating here. Grow a pair and make a stand on what metal you like. If you like gold, go gold. If you like silver, SS or white gold is your choice. If you can't keep that rule straight, you end up with something embarrassing.... like a Hublot.

I kid, I kid. I would wear a Hublot. At home. Alone. With the lights off and the shades down.

rusty peters
As for my own personal pet peeves, i don't get the watch thats worn so loose its flapping around all over the place. Fair enough to you people who do that, thats your prerogative, but i personally don't get it.
^^^^^^^^^ This. It's not a bracelet, it's a watch for God's sake :-)

On another forum, that is referred to as "drug dealer style". I like the term.

Hornet
I would never wear a PO during sex. The bracelet would get snagged in the sheep's wool. That would totally kill the mood.

.....fucking hilarious!

cogwatch

I pretty much wear whatever comes up next on the random number wear order list. I never think about what I'm wearing that day and whether it "goes" or not. I also own a modern architecture house with a lot of chandeliers. Obviously I don't care what tradition or fashion might dictate. Or I just have really bad taste :-)

1fb5b180-3e34-4dae-bc17-e88f654ba407_zps05391f36.jpg

ef8074bc-17bd-46ef-a97f-3978a75b6079_zps44c2ad12.jpg

0e1b71f9-38a4-4716-b19e-c830cb0e3c46_zpsaaf09ea2.jpg

Ice_Man

I pretty much wear whatever comes up next on the random number wear order list. I never think about what I'm wearing that day and whether it "goes" or not. I also own a modern architecture house with a lot of chandeliers. Obviously I don't care what tradition or fashion might dictate. Or I just have really bad taste :-)

Can I come live with you?

Hornet
Well, look's like I missed a trick here, had to go back and re-read the last few pages, jolly stuff. Joran-duran vs Balders. That's one I've not witnessed before. :popcorn: The only addition i'd make to the tinder that sparked this tres bon-fire would be...
By definition, anyone who owns a replica anything wants to be something they're not; an owner of the original or at the very least alluding to being one :lol: Oh, and gold watches are the beezneez. Gold + black more so than gold + white colour scheme wise, but whatevs. A simple gold watch will never go out of style.

Well said! Pretty soon, we will be discussing whether to put a cucumber or a banana in our jeans. Nothing like a Spinal Tap moment to compliment our fake watches.

Large organic free trade banana and two vine ripened tomatoes every time fella...

Hornet

Tell me that the dog is your wife's?!

Conex
Ohh...what's wrong...did I keep you 2x ladies waiting....my bad....I was out having a life....!
His debating methods bore me.

Yeah.....they bore you right to the point of where you have the affrontery to send me a PM .....BEGGING for my help to get your arse out of a pickle.......you're a cheeky fukker...I'll give you that....you want to piss up my back and expect me to help you in return...that's bold....fukkin' stupid...but bold....!!!

As for you Joran.....you can puff your chest up as much as you like...you're NOT a watch-smith.....as for Greg giving you approval....he can't stop you.....there's no precedent for doing so....but then Mike McNair / Olly and numerous others received the same approbation.....even Greg...mighty as he is...can't MAKE you a watch-smith....you're just NOT...if you don't believe it...go apply for a job at any AD service centre....I think you'll find you need a little more paperwork than "I'VE HAD SOME LESSONS OVER A PINT AT THE PUB WITH A WATCH-SMITH"....and....some of the members on a fake watch forum let me tinker with their watches...... !!!

Hahaha yes you are right Baldprick, I did send you a PM. At the end of March. And I believe if i posted it everyone would agree it was ASKING for advice on bringing watches into Thailand, not begging for anything. You do know the difference between asking and begging right? So yes i admit, i did send you a PM. However it was before I discovered what a self important, deluded idiot you were. Consequently, you now bore me. Now......yes.....I think there should be enough there for you to quote line by line in your usual style.......on your tablet.

Conex
Well, look's like I missed a trick here, had to go back and re-read the last few pages, jolly stuff. Joran-duran vs Balders. That's one I've not witnessed before. :popcorn:

The only addition i'd make to the tinder that sparked this tres bon-fire would be...

By definition, anyone who owns a replica anything wants to be something they're not; an owner of the original or at the very least alluding to being one :lol:

Oh, and gold watches are the beezneez. Gold + black more so than gold + white colour scheme wise, but whatevs. A simple gold watch will never go out of style.

Good point.

Hahahaha

cogwatch

Can I come live with you?

No!

Yes :-)

Daywatch

Just try to choose the watch that matches the occasion. If Your only watch is an orange Doxa wear it anyway. Styles are very mixed up nowadays.

Conex
Just try to choose the watch that matches the occasion. If Your only watch is an orange Doxa wear it anyway. Styles are very mixed up nowadays.

There is certainly less conformity to traditional styles nowadays.