Sign in to follow this  
newtothisthing

swiss ETA or Asian Clone ETA?

newtothisthing

How good are the asian clones in terms of reliability, timekeeping?

Is going for one of them instead of a swiss eta movement worth it?

Thanks

KeNnY

Asia Clone ETA, because the SWISS ETA is really hard to find, or to be sure if is the SWISS ETA and not the Clone :bcake: repair me if I am wrong

Eiderdaus

nothing wrong with asian clone

newtothisthing
nothing wrong with asian clone

Thanks for info.

Looks like I will go for asian clone, that will also keep my costs down!

No reliability issues?

KeNnY

search forum, there was some topic about one movement :bcake: how you will be working with the watch, the reliability depends on your working with the watch

Brightlight

Experience so far shows the Clones have scrappy QC and can benefit from a service early on. I've had a couple in with loose/missing screws from new, like this example below -

Expl1MX.jpg

Given a strip down, clean and service they should be good movements. They regulate nicely and seem fairly bulletproof.

The 'Swiss ETA' movements provided by the dealers seem to be a bit questionable as it seems often they are used, rebuilt movements or assembled with some asian parts. I would say get the clone and put the extra you would have paid for the swiss into a good service. It should then last you for years.

newtothisthing
Experience so far shows the Clones have scrappy QC and can benefit from a service early on. I've had a couple in with loose/missing screws from new, like this example below -

Expl1MX.jpg

Given a strip down, clean and service they should be good movements. They regulate nicely and seem fairly bulletproof.

The 'Swiss ETA' movements provided by the dealers seem to be a bit questionable as it seems often they are used, rebuilt movements or assembled with some asian parts. I would say get the clone and put the extra you would have paid for the swiss into a good service. It should then last you for years.

Without been an expert, how do I know from looking at that picture that it is a clone?

Luthier
Without been an expert, how do I know from looking at that picture that it is a clone?

You can't really tell from that particular pic, but the differences are here - http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=7305

BL, I think it's the pic. of ETA, look on the wheels holes.

Also, I don't think chinese will put army of people to make clones from old used ETA parts with additional clones parts.

Factories make thousands of watches a day, it's just impossible.

I personally saw the boxes with clones and with ETAs unpacked, directly from chinese and Swiss factories, so, I don't think they make movements from used parts.

Member X

You can't really tell from that particular pic, but the differences are here - http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=7305

Do you mean the pic with the missing screws?

That's my 2010 Explorer 1 BL is kindly servicing - Robert sold it as clone so Bonus!!!! if it's swiss :D lol

Luthier

Do you mean the pic with the missing screws?

That's my 2010 Explorer 1 BL is kindly servicing - Robert sold it as clone so Bonus!!!! if it's swiss :D lol

Yes, it is Swiss.

Clone is here:

http://www.nnsbc.cn/english/Products_Show.asp?id=15

;)

Member X

If it is swiss then someone needs to tell Robert, he's selling them at $127 reseller prices! lol

greg_r

The Asian clone movement is a good one. I'd only consider buying ETA from Mary or Robert - from the majority of other dealers you may well still get an asian clone even if ordering swiss as the difference is difficult to spot and most dealers rely on the factories to tell them what is fitted (which is not always accurate).

The other factor is that some swiss movements supplied in reps turn out to be second-hand or refurbished units and are not always in the best condition.

RolexAddict

Chinese, Swiss, Brazilian, Mongolian, Congolese, .... etc.etc...

ETA is ETA. Period. Stop mastarbation.

Take care of your wife, your family, your friends,

Have a regular and normal life,

Dont care about Swiss/Asian,

ETA MOVEMENTS ARE ETA MOVEMENTS,

Member X

lol :D

Fair point :facepalm: :facepalm:

Brightlight

If only............

Brightlight

Also, I don't think chinese will put army of people to make clones from old used ETA parts with additional clones parts.

Factories make thousands of watches a day, it's just impossible.

I personally saw the boxes with clones and with ETAs unpacked, directly from chinese and Swiss factories, so, I don't think they make movements from used parts.

Look at the shock spring, definitely a clone. Looks like they've caught up on the reverser gear holes though!

I have heard stories of the factories buying part movements and finishing them off with asian parts but don't know how true this is.

I don't know about the 'gen swiss eta' from the rep factories but I have seen pics of movements that have been obviously refurbished which were sold as Swiss. I have also seen Swiss ETAs which appear genuine. This refurbishment may of course be the dealer making a quick buck. Therefore I assume the clones are more 'honest' in that they are definitely new, asian made, units. Quality control is a big issue though.

Ultimately if the clones start using the Novodiac shock, or a copy of it, which is probably inevitable, we just will not be able to tell the difference.

Member X

The thing is, if they are literally indistinguishable, does it not add weight to the argument that they are just as good as swiss if serviced properly? Which will therefore mean less of this 'genuine swiss!!' sales pitch from certain dealers?

Ultimately it could probably be seen as a good thing for the rep business :) although I wouldn't like to be the person attempting to buy definitely swiss, either for a rep or a gen watch... lol

GC

You all know I did a comparo on two movts, one sold as a Clone the other sold as an ETA... link: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...ic=5100&hl=

I pointed out the differences I found between the two movts, but recently Robert has mentioned that there are several different grades of Asian Clones. The pics he posted of a movt he sells as High Grade Asian Clone is spot on with a movt I bought as Swiss. That taken into consideration, and because I trust Robert's word, I believe that all movts sold either as a Clone or ETA are in fact Asian Clones. The ones dealers sell as "Swiss", which we know not to be true i.e. at the very best they are ETA but assembled in Asia, I believe to be the Higher Grade Clone movts (better QC) and the movts dealers sell as "Clone" movts are the Lower Grade Clone movts (lesser QC).

That's what I have come to believe... take it with a grain of salt.

speedzmaster

If you're going to masturbate, do it the correct way!

As BL says, after a cleaning and regulating, the Asian movements are fine.