Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

Warranty Repairs? What is expected from a watchmaker?

SSTEEL

As many of you know, I am not officially a trusted watchmaker on RWG, however I am recommended by several sources, and my feedback on here is amicable.

However, I think I need to change my terms and conditions as I am getting a few customers contacting me a week or more after receiving their watches back, they initially tell me they got it back, working 100%, and really happy, then a couple of weeks later, they say there’s problems and want to ship the watch back for a free repair.

I've had a few of these now, and some I get back have nothing to do with my original repair so need to do something about this as its costing me time, and money repairing watches I shouldn’t have to.

I was just wondering what you guys think, what do you expect from a watchmaker?

Example...

Original repair, keyless works on a vintage GMT. I repair the watch, supply QC photos, and video of watch functioning as it should, ship it back, owner lets me know they received it back, and all is good, then a week later they contact me, and say its stopped, and think the hands are catching each other.

What would you expect from the watchmaker in the above sample scenario ?

Here's another example...

Original repair, click spring replacement on a PAM 111. Repair is completed, and again QC photos of the repair supplied, and a video showing the watch now working as it should, winding normally now.

Watch is sent back, owner replies, they are really happy, and everything is working 100%. Then a few days later, the owner of this watch emails saying movement has stopped, and theres a screw floating around in the movement. This is actually a real case example, and I'm currently awaiting more info, and photos. I can agree, if this loose screw floating around is related to the click spring, then yes, I will repair, but the original repair the movement was never removed, only the case back to access the click spring.

So with example 2 above, if this loose screw floating around, and causing the movement in the PAM111 is unrelated to the click spring repair, should I repair this watch for free?

I will be interested in hearing your thoughts on these, and will appreciate any input you may have on how I can improve my service to members. I have to admit, I feel in some cases, my good nature is being taken advantage of.

Customer service, and feedback is very important to me, so if you are a previous customer, and feel there are any improvements you may want to suggest, please let me know.

Thanks!

SSTEEL

Just to add, on every single full service I have carried out, NOT ONE issue reported after being returned, these issues always accrue with part repairs, part service.

Hazz

I think you have just answered your own question Micky, to prevent issues , why not have it as a condition , that only a full service is carried out.

911flyer

I've used you for many repairs and mods. Never had a problem with any of your services mate. I am a very happy customer.

What are my $0.02? I think it is unrealistic to ask a watchmaker to make free repairs that are unrelated to the original repair unless that part or area of the watch has been tampered with. (Basically just stating what you wrote above).

Interesting Topic - Hope this works out ok.

SSTEEL

Cheers guys, agree, "Ok at Arrival" warranty for part repairs, and my usual 60 day warranty on full services.

Hazz

I've used you for many repairs and mods. Never had a problem with any of your services mate. I am a very happy customer.

What are my $0.02? I think it is unrealistic to ask a watchmaker to make free repairs that are unrelated to the original repair unless that part or area of the watch has been tampered with. (Basically just stating what you wrote above).

Interesting Topic - Hope this works out ok.

+1

chekkarn

I am one of those who have experienced this.

Sent the watch in for regulation and you did it flawlessly and got photos and video showing all functions working correctly. And once I got it back and checking the functions, engaging the chrono kills the movement. Reported this and was confused since I clearly saw that it was working in the video. So my conclusion was that it didn't like the shipping. You offered to take a look at it again to see what happened but I feel that is too much to ask. Yeah sure I am very curious to what went wrong. But since it the problem has occurred in the shipping I don't feel that you should have to fix it for free.

In conclusion you are very generous and helpful but you should not do free work :)

SSTEEL

Cheers mate, appreciate your input :)

Jonnybaws

Concur with what's been written here...

Bit outrageous to ask you to fix something that you weren't tasked to fix in the first place, esp. for free!

SSTEEL

Thanks Johnny!

Prancuzas

Micky is a decent fella! ;)

Silva97
Cheers guys, agree, "Ok at Arrival" warranty for part repairs, and my usual 60 day warranty on full services.

That's very fair SSTEEL. You should not be responsible for any unrelated issues. Personally if I had a problem with one of my watches I would have a full service carried out to ensure no chance of further issues arising.

SSTEEL

Thanks guys :)

Stuvetjee

Maybe try a new ''Bombproof'' shipping package? Looks like they get fucked in transit :lol:

ShovelnTC

I used to work for a company that did Left to Right hand drive conversions of cars and we always used to get customers blaming us for all sorts of completely non-related problems with their cars.

My boss used to say that every customer expects a Rolls Royce job for a Hyundai price and a lifetime guarantee thrown in.

When I was doing restorations on cars and bikes I had a few buddies ask me to do theirs for them but there was noooooooo way I was going to get sucked into that one, fastest way to get called a rip-off and lose your friends.

None of my business but if it were me I'd keep it as a personal hobby, as soon as money gets involved it's just another tedious job.

chekkarn

Maybe try a new ''Bombproof'' shipping package? Looks like they get fucked in transit :lol:

Postal workers play rugby with our packages

Stuvetjee

Think i found our issue...Fucktards...

http://youtu.be/zv8EpqyIJzU

Edited by Stuvetjee

conx

This is the danger of supplying services to a wide, diverse audience. There are always a minority of people who think this is amazon and think their warranty and t&c apply.

IMO, if your work is clearly at fault then you need fix it (within 60 days). But if it's a different fault or caused in transit, then that is not your problem. People need to wise up and accept that stuff happens, especially in the post and that sometimes it's not someone else's fault, sometimes you have to take the hit yourself and not expect the modder (or td) to put right things which are not their fault and happened outside of their control

JohnPilot

This is a difficult question Micky. I can tell you how "my" watchmaker handles this. He gives warranty only on swiss movements as for chinese he does his best but gives no garanty. As for reps same procedure, garanty only for work carried out on gens.

What I would expect from you :D :

A careful analyzis, fix the problem if found. A quick survey for loose screws or general known issues of this movement.

The advantage of a watchmaker having a lot of reps to mend is that he knows better the weak parts and issues of "our" chinese movements. Garanty that is works on arrival.

A longer garanty would be in bad relation to the initial cost and you have either to rise your prices or refuse certain works.

JSJ

Micky it seems like you're a very fair guy. A few people will always take the proverbial.

I would put the 'OK on arrival' term in for partial repairs and keep your 60 day full service warranty. Then I would treat each partial case on its merits, privately, and decide with the owner what they and you think is fair to you both. If you can't come to an agreement, then you fall back to your OK on arrival condition.

Conex

I think you have just answered your own question Micky, to prevent issues , why not have it as a condition , that only a full service is carried out.

Exactly my thoughts.

RussP

That's a fact, over here in Oz !!

austinsom

I would tend to agree with what has been said already. If someone asks you to fix a problem with a watch, and they do not wish to have a full service, then once the movement has been out and partially dismantled, something else could then cause an issue. Without doing a full service and associated clean, any sort of crud could come lose.

So really, if it's a partial repair, once you have shown pictures/video of the repair being successful, it is job done. OK at arrival then leaves you in the hands of the various postal companies of the world, and having seen some documentaries of how they treat packages, this leaves you open to people still trying to get you to take a watch back. If they have a full service at the same time as a repair, then sure, a warranty is fine.

So in short, I would say:

Partial fix, providing photos/video of fix, then OK @ dispatch with no warranty.

Service and fix, offer usual warranty.

I know of other watchmakers who wont touch a watch to repair unless it is also serviced. And let's face it, if you are spending the money on a fix, may as well spend a few ££ more on a service, as the movement will likely live longer!

Wriggles

I believe Uk Watch Services instigated similar conditions on their repairs after probably a lot of similar grief. AFAIK he only takes on work now if a full service is agreed to along with the repair and won't take on part repairs only jobs.

Makes an awful lot of sense when dealing with reps.

SSTEEL

Anyone who has experienced my packaging will know, no expense is spared, all my packages now are not only air tight, but also waterproof, including the printed address label, so if there were to be water digress during transit, or even a flood, the package details, and contents would be protected. The packaging inside the package, is again mummified so no movement is present during shipping.

I have even considered using expanding foam spray in my packaging, putting a watch in a ziplock bag, then filling the box with expanding foam so it actually encases the watch, and suspends in from the outer walls of the box.

My long list of past career ventures I have experience in are that I've worked in customer service, packaging, and even retail, so know what customs should expect, I always treat people how I would like to be treated, and this includes when receiving their pride and joy back, it matters not, the actual financial value of someones property, but its personal value be it attachment, sentimental relation, or history, these are what are important to me, and all packages, and owners property is treated as my own when I work on them.