Sign in to follow this  
gB.

asian copy valjoux 23

asian copy valjoux 23  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good hand wind chrono movement?

• Yes
    • No

gB.

I did a search for this, and read through the movements in reps FAQ and the asian copy valjoux 23 was no where to be found. It is a hand wind chrono movement. Anyone familiar with this movement that can provide the pro/cons? Is it better than the Asian copy Venus 175/ST19 (aka "Lemania")?

Thank you for your help!

greg_r

Eh? Link to the watch please. This may just be a 7750 converted to hand wind (in which case it's okay but fragile). Never heard of an " asian copy valjoux 23"

mulder

Can I ask has anyone done a topic on the different movements and their advantages and disadvantages of each?

Plus photos of each movement?

David

greg_r

mulder - there's a sticky at the top of the watch repair and reference subforum. No photos though.

Silverspeed

I think the copy Val23 is also known as the "Mystery" movement, used by David Wong in his Vintage Daytona's

these are known to be, like Greg said, fragile and spare parts will be almost impossible to find in case something goes wrong.

The Seagull ST19 is a much better movement

this is a Val23 copy

IMG_4759kopie.png

greg_r

Thanks Silver!

mulder

thanks greg

gB.
I think the copy Val23 is also known as the "Mystery" movement, used by David Wong in his Vintage Daytona's

these are known to be, like Greg said, fragile and spare parts will be almost impossible to find in case something goes wrong.

The Seagull ST19 is a much better movement

this is a Val23 copy

IMG_4759kopie.png

Yes, that's it SS. DW gave me this option for a copy vj23 in the 'tona 6263. Never heard of it, but he said it was better than the seagull st-19.... :D

Nice "Officine Panerai" label on your daytona movement... :gday_mate_haveabeer:

Silverspeed

I would opt for the A7750 Automatic version from DW. My DW 6263 is far from good built quality, could be that it's just mine...although I've heard similar stories about crappy built quality. The good side is that it runs very good and had excellent power reserve.

The A7750 automaitc version would be better quality I think...plus easier to fix in case anything goes wrong.

He also offers the 6263 A7750 with the rotor removed so that the case thickness is closer to gen...but handwinding an A7750 is likely to cause problems with stripped winding gears.

gB.
I would opt for the A7750 Automatic version from DW. My DW 6263 is far from good built quality, could be that it's just mine...although I've heard similar stories about crappy built quality. The good side is that it runs very good and had excellent power reserve.

The A7750 automaitc version would be better quality I think...plus easier to fix in case anything goes wrong.

He also offers the 6263 A7750 with the rotor removed so that the case thickness is closer to gen...but handwinding an A7750 is likely to cause problems with stripped winding gears.

DW doesn't offer the A7750 automatic for the 6263, just the latter you mentioned with the rotor removed to make it a hand wind (since the 6263 is the vintage hand wind model). I agree, that would be a ticking time bomb for problems to occur, so not going near it. I'm reviewing other movement options, like the vj23 he offers, hence this thread...

How was the bracelet on yours (quality, SEL fit, etc)?

andygt

DW doesn't offer the A7750 automatic for the 6263, just the latter you mentioned with the rotor removed to make it a hand wind (since the 6263 is the vintage hand wind model). I agree, that would be a ticking time bomb for problems to occur, so not going near it. I'm reviewing other movement options, like the vj23 he offers, hence this thread...

When I bought mine he included the removed rotor and screw so it's easy just to reattach it if you want to.

Just make sure you ask him for the deeper caseback to be included as well.

Silverspeed

the bracelet is a royal pain in the ass to put on the watch...the springbars are bended in the endlinks to fit between the lugs

and yes the bracelet does rattle quit a bit (after a little oil treatment it's much better though)...but I figured this is all part of the whole vintage experience

all in all I wouldn't buy it again....the quality is far from on par with the price he normally charges for the copy Val23 6263 which is I believe $380

I initially ordered the A7750 version which was supposed to be in-stock, later it wasn't so he offered me the Val23 6263 for the A7750 price

gB.
the bracelet is a royal pain in the ass to put on the watch...the springbars are bended in the endlinks to fit between the lugs

and yes the bracelet does rattle quit a bit (after a little oil treatment it's much better though)...but I figured this is all part of the whole vintage experience

all in all I wouldn't buy it again....the quality is far from on par with the price he normally charges for the copy Val23 6263 which is I believe $380

I initially ordered the A7750 version which was supposed to be in-stock, later it wasn't so he offered me the Val23 6263 for the A7750 price

It doesn't sound tempting to order it from DW though, regardless of movement, based on your quality experience. I'm on the fence on whether to get one from DW, or just go with the TS version and buy a better dial, crown and chrono pushers from DW to swap out. The case will still be slightly wrong on pusher placement, but even andygt said the bottom one is only about a mm too high. Decisions, decisions... :Whistle:

Silverspeed

Mind you this was my first 'vintage' watch...and tbh I don't get the whole vintage thing...I'm sure others would love this, so this surely affected

my opinion on DW's products :Whistle:

gran

???????

gB.
???????

Please elaborate gran. I don't speak wookie... :rofl:Z

gran
???????

:rofl:Z

gB.
???????

882229cb.jpg

gran
???????

882229cb.jpg

For a second there I tought the asian copy valjoux 23 was a urban legend/contemporary legend.... :Whistle:

jrexgis

never thought it was true.. thank you for sharing this :lol: thanks to you!

gB.

Thanks for all your help and insights folks. I think I may pull the trigger on the vj23 copy movement for the Daytona 6263 project. As always, this forum rocks! :D

wiesn089

Don't. Mine arrived broken and DW won't do anything about it! He'll offer you a free dial or something but you will still be stuck with a f***ed up movement and the quest to find a replacement.

Edited by wiesn089

Silverspeed
Don't. Mine arrived broken and DW won't do anything about it! He'll offer you a free dial or something but you will still be stuck with a f***ed up movement and the quest to find a replacement.

What's wrong with the movement and why won't DW offer help?

KBH

It's a shame that nobody has been able to identify the mystery movement he uses. As been said, they are near impossible to have repaired. No parts available.

But, don't be put off by the 7750 hand wind. If done correctly with all the proper auto winding parts removed, it becomes the same as a 7760 Eta hand wind movement. It's the auto wind gears that are easy to strip.

The only reason I can see for buying the MM would be if you plan on replacing it someday with a true Valjoux 72 movement.

gran
It's a shame that nobody has been able to identify the mystery movement he uses. As been said, they are near impossible to have repaired. No parts available.

But, don't be put off by the 7750 hand wind. If done correctly with all the proper auto winding parts removed, it becomes the same as a 7760 Eta hand wind movement. It's the auto wind gears that are easy to strip.

The only reason I can see for buying the MM would be if you plan on replacing it someday with a true Valjoux 72 movement.

?????????????????

Edited by gran