Sign in to follow this  
brum123

TAG Carrera automatic not working

brum123

Hi

Hopefully I have posted this in the correct location - and excuse my lack of technical terms but hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction...

I have a TAG Carrera automatic. It was bought in Turkey a year ago and worked fine for a period of time. The watch is automatic (with glass on the back to see movement).

The watch stopped after about 3 months and part of the 'turning disc' was visibly loose. I have removed that part ...I think it was just aesthetic as it had the TAG name on it and 'swiss made' but was just a very thin metal sheet which had been glued with two very small spots of glue to the main 'turning disc'

The watch has two pusher buttons:

one at 2 o'clock which skips the data on

one at 4 o'clock which shifts the month indicator (which is a dial at 6 o'clock). The main winding button at 3 o'clock winds the watch when fully pressed in and clicks out once to change the time.

The disc at the back swivels around very smoothly - i can still wiond the watch and feel resistance as if it is doing something ...but the watch simple isn't functioning. All the buttons seem to do there job still (ie i can change date, month and time) just no movement within the watch itself to drive the hands.

Does this sound like a right off?

Are there some simple things to try to 'unfreeze' time?

I've search through the forum and can't see an immediate answer elsewhere ...any advice would be greatfully received.

Thanks

court

Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you just get a POS unfortunately. That's why we have Trusted Dealers. Take it on the chin and learn from it I think as it would probably cost more to repair than it cost in the first place.

brum123

Hi - that's my thinking too ...Found this forum a few months ago and have been following closely ...It's a whole new world but one I can't fault the advise and guidance I see on most threads. TDs are definantly the way forward for me (no more impulse buys when on holiday!).

Wriggles

Could be a lot of things, the piece of metal that came off the rotor may prevent it from rotating sufficiently on the wrist to wind. The winding of the movement may have failed, some of the gears may have sheared, one of the rat dropping has unlodged and stuck the gears. Who knows!

All joking aside it's a 21J so is really just a cheapie and whether it's worth repairing is down to how much sentimental value it may hold. Cheapest option would be to replace the movement, probably a DG2813 or similar. You need a rep friendly watchsmith as well.

All in all better to go looking for a higher quality rep. Plenty found in our TD list.

Good reading here, plenty of info on movements, technical terms and how to post photo's on the forum.

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=7456

brum123

Thanks Chaps ...very much appreciate the responses - it was a bit of a long shot to see if there was a common 'quick fix' to try ...think i'll assume the watch is dead and look for an alternative from one of the TDs - cheers

gmchris

Just a thought, can you see if any hands are touching? I had a second hand come loose on mine, it stopped the watch because it couldn't get past the hour hand, the tips were touching.

You already had the back off, so taking the movement out to get to the hands is the next step in the teach-myself-watchmaking-cos-its-bloody-bugging-me journey. You just gotta find the crown release button.

If you check the Chinese movements on www.cousinsuk you should be able could swap it for less than 20 quid.

Would be a shame to bin it if you like it.

SSTEEL

21J are cheap enough to replace my friend. If you decide not to fix, and to buy a new watch from a TD, please consider recycling your Turkey rep, I am always looking for parts ;)

brum123

All - many thanks for the advice ...I'm going to have a crack at taking rt he watch apart - after all it seems like the best way to learn. I see chances of success very low but chances of learning something high!

...and if all else fails I let you have it for spares

Thanks again