prestigewatchco

Is there a market?

mbjoer
Cartier santos $1500 this is already out in the open

Panerai 233 with correct looking movement $2000+

Rolex submariner with correct looking movement $1200

Panerai hand winding models with perfect movements dials etc $1200+

But there are dozens more

Problem is they will only supply in 10's so there is a considerable outlay to get a range.

How about these (including those in the "dozens more" category) with everything correct that is visible after the watch has been put on the wrist? That is, build ten of one watch that has only that which is visible from/on the wrist 1:1 to gen (and i do truly mean 1:1 to gen). So basically, your best-in-the-planet source wouldn't even need to do a good job on the case back engravings (if any) and they can use whatever movement that still gives the correct bph. Will they do that? If so, all I would need to do is organize a mini-group buy on a rep forum that allows group buys to be organized (i know, probably easier said then done (maybe), but with enough tenacity and desperation, surely possible). In this scenario that I've laid out, the prices got to be cheaper (if them and you are willing). I'm all excited now. Looking forward to your reply, Robert bro.

Actually that would not do the trick for me at all.

I know no-one who has such a detailed knowledge of all watch brands/models that they would be able to spot a slightly incorrect dial placement. And only on a few fora will anyone outside the AF know about the crown guards.

But they may want to see the watch and if they turn it over and the hallmarks are etched, anyone can tell this is not real.

What first and foremost makes a luxury watch is details such as functionality (all dials fully functioning/lume/waterproof) fine details (deep engravings and clear patterns on crown) and a caseback which looks equally good and does not claim to be something it is not.

Attention to details starts with the plausible and then moves into the precise accuracy. The untrained eye can spot a lot which the rep-world often ignores and a lot of what the rep-fora get hot about is only visible to a very select small group of people.

JoeyB

Robert, something else comes to mind. I'm not knowledgeable on the very high end watches, and have no clue on the demand for the reps as you would. I like the 'regular' fare, Rolex, Pam, Omega, etc., and have gotten to really like the vintage stuff.

That said, the reps have become so much more accurate in the past few years, and the ones you offer are probably 99.9% accurate to the gen. If you invest in inventory of these 'Super Reps' and the factories improve more and more would you be stuck with a high priced inventory?

If it was me, and I don't know your business, I would make the availability known and have buyers commit a down payment on whichever model they want. When 10 or more commit, order and collect the balance and ship. People wait long periods of time for the 'Super Modders' watches, it might work the same way for these.

prestigewatchco

To be honest Joe it was just an idea I had I was shipping 20 of these Monday to a Greek buyer and thought maybe it would be something that was needed on the forums.

I now see that it would be more aggravation than the worth of it. The small amount of members who would buy wouldn't justify the expense of getting them in stock.

Look at MBJOER's post above hasn't seen any of the watches yet and is already fucking arguing with himself about them. If this is typical of the members these watches attract I don't think all the money in the world would tempt me to offer them to members

JoeyB

Robert, you know best what is best for you. It looks to me that the comments made here are to aid you in protecting yourself. You've earned that level of respect. I'm certain you'll do what's best. You always do!

Akira
To be honest Joe it was just an idea I had I was shipping 20 of these Monday to a Greek buyer and thought maybe it would be something that was needed on the forums.

I now see that it would be more aggravation than the worth of it. The small amount of members who would buy wouldn't justify the expense of getting them in stock.

Look at MBJOER's post above hasn't seen any of the watches yet and is already fucking arguing with himself about them. If this is typical of the members these watches attract I don't think all the money in the world would tempt me to offer them to members

wise decicions you make...:lol:

too much hustle, too much risk

but nice to let us know you have this kind of connections, maybe some day 10 people will contact you on their own initiative.

Luthier

Actually, Joey is correct. When I bring my new guitar design to chinese factory, they hate it, because they need to employ CAD engineer, CNC engineer, search for new wood, make new molds, tools, jigs and fixtures, so, the first few samples cost A LOT!!! But when everything is setted - mass production is cheap - same, as all my previous models, around $80-$150.

I understand, to make perfect replication will require a lot of time and money, but after that - why keep crazy prices? They'll make thousands of reps!!! It's the same thing they improve from V1 to V2, then to V3. Why not to make perfect from the beginning? In a long run such a high prices are not justified.

sharkie

Luthier, I like your thinking. Why not make it perfect from the beginning. That's good.

... why keep crazy prices? They'll make thousands of reps!!! ... Why not to make perfect from the beginning? In a long run such a high prices are not justified.

Silverspeed

Too bad...I'd be more than happy to pay $850 for a 1:1 Daytona...for instance

P.s. if your Greek buyer would happen to have on of those left over...let me know :lol:

andygt

Ditto for me with the Daytona.

So Luth can I get one of your guitars for $80? :lol:

Luthier
Ditto for me with the Daytona.

So Luth can I get one of your guitars for $80? :D

No.

I pay $80-$90 to the factory for the simpliest model, then I add my profit and sell to distributor, who add his profit and sell it to the stores, who also add their profit, so, street price will be around $280-$320.

;)

greg_r

whoa. That's a very fair price for a quality guitar....

Luthier

Some people can't afford gen. watches - they buy reps.

Practically same quality, but much cheaper.

Most of musicians can't afford Gibson - they'll buy "Master" Guitars.

Practically same quality, but much cheaper. And it's genuine.

:P

mondeov6

Some people can't afford gen. watches - they buy reps.

Practically same quality, but much cheaper.

Most of musicians can't afford Gibson - they'll buy "Master" Guitars.

Practically same quality, but much cheaper. And it's genuine.

:P

....... and better looking!! :D

Pentax

I on the other hand am interested in buying a 18k sub, by he's means it should cost me 4-4,5K look at it from a perspective I would cof out that money because a 18k sub would cost around 25K and used around 15K. And believe me if it's real gold very few people would know it's a Rep. I will enjoy it like wearing a real gold sub that would cost 4 times as much used and and 7 times new!

Luthier

Sub - gold???

It's divers watch. Not a vanity item.

RolexAddict

very, very interesting subject Robert,

Usually I don't read completely posts, just flying over, but this one I have read.

My opinion talking about the vintage market as I have no interest/no knowledge for modern Rolex, Panerai, Cartier etc...

1) Very expensive reps and or frankens, imho, no way for a regular business.

Exemple : Rolex -as I know well the gen vintage market - why to invest 1500 usd or more in a Sub or SD because of a gen dial or crown ??? Its still a fake and will stay a fake. A gen 5513 in France starts at 3500 usd (3000 euros) So people like NDT selling cases for more than 1000 usd and dials for 400 usd are gangsters and scammers. At this level of price I would say -buy a gen-

2) Accurate vintage reps :

I believe of a potential market and customers for visually accurate vintage reps in a price range of 500 - 800 usd. Exemple : Spinmaster and his cosmographes sold for 600 usd.

3) About custom risks:

One solution would be to find a place both in Europe and North America with someone who could import parts/material and or assembled watches , and, both in Europe and North America a little workshop with skilled people and tools for mod and assembling. This is not a big money investment, this need just thinking and organisation. For Europe, England could be a perfect place for many reasons.

Just my 2 cents

I believe in this concept which is also applicable to modern reps. Also with 4 major forums, the market exists.

for those interested, I can travel anytime and everywhere in the world to meet interested people for a discussion

Miracle
This is a serious question

Is there a big enough market for really top quality reps?

I have a company that I deal with from time to time who without doubt make the best quality reps on the planet without exception .

Problem is they are very very expensive to give you an example

Rolex daytona with correct dial spacing seconds at 9 $850+

Now I know people would kill for them but what I need to know is will people buy and pay for them.

Or is it as I assume that people want them but that's as far as it goes and when it is possible to buy them they will have second thoughts

Problem is they will only supply in 10's so there is a considerable outlay to get a range.

Now don't ask for pictures etc as this is not a eye candy post

Just please give your opinion as to if you think there is a market

Miracle

:lol:

I have a company that I deal with from time to time who without doubt make the best quality reps on the planet without exception .

Now I know people would kill for them but what I need to know is will people buy and pay for them.

Or is it as I assume that people want them but that's as far as it goes and when it is possible to buy them they will have second thoughts

Miracle

I'd love a 1.1 dssd let me know when your doing this and count me in ??

DenGNNJ

build a better chronograph.

look at all the websites offering chronos. they're pretty much $300-$500 on average and they're all based on the crappy A7750. honestly Robert, isn't there anything better manufacturers can stick in these reps to make them better quality?

if I pay $400 or $500 for a rep chrono (and so far, I've done it three times in the past six weeks), I'm expecting a quality piece ... not something that may or may not fall apart. I don't think that's asking too much.

dingle
build a better chronograph.

look at all the websites offering chronos. they're pretty much $300-$500 on average and they're all based on the crappy A7750. honestly Robert, isn't there anything better manufacturers can stick in these reps to make them better quality?

if I pay $400 or $500 for a rep chrono (and so far, I've done it three times in the past six weeks), I'm expecting a quality piece ... not something that may or may not fall apart. I don't think that's asking too much.

methinks you need to have a read here B)

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=6101

Silverspeed

Dammit.....seeing this thread bumped after 3 months I thought Robert started offering the 1:1 Daytona...guess not DAMMIT!

Akira

Dammit.....seeing this thread bumped after 3 months I thought Robert started offering the 1:1 Daytona...guess not DAMMIT!

If you'll order 10 he will :-)

Silverspeed
If you'll order 10 he will :-)

If I wanted to spend $8.5k on a Daytona....I would simply walk into an AD and get me one...wouldn't I? B)

EDIT: $8.5k wouldn't get me one....that would be €8,5k DOUBLE DAMMIT

DenGNNJ

Thanks DB ... I read that.

I started reading up on all the A7750 posts after I had ordered three of them (I LOVE chronos) and one that I received started having issues (one is still enroute to me). So, out of the two I got, one's going back to the dealer for repair with no assurances they'll get it right the 2nd time ... I hope they do ... but I'm only cautiously optimistic.