Sign in to follow this  
JCFans

Gen 3714 Strap Care

JCFans

Hello, my dad just gifted me his few-years-old 3714 is mint condition. However the strap does look a bit tired and not as shiny as the new one. Any recommendation for the care of this black croc leather strap?

I have heard conflicting theories for mink oil. Some say they are good. Some say they aren't good, with the fact that they make the leather darker and permanently "wet" that any debris would be stuck and stain the leather.

Please advise. Thank you.

houndoggie

spitballin' here, but maybe have a shoeshine polish it, like they do with shoes.

JCFans

spitballin' here, but maybe have a shoeshine polish it, like they do with shoes.

I use mink oil for my shoes or something containing it so back to my original question...

houndoggie

I use mink oil for my shoes or something containing it so back to my original question...

take it to a professional shoeshine.

Prancuzas

I would avoide shoe care products.

3 weeks ago on ebay won portuguese strap with great scales/pattern - prior the shipping the seller decided to give it a quick clean with colorless shoe cream. Came all matte and ruined.

So, use mink oil, beeswax or dedicated reptile skin conditioner like Saphir REPTAN. Spend some cash for one bottle and You will have the required cleaner/conditioner for more than 2 years or more.

Edited by Prancuzas

JCFans

I would avoide shoe care products.

3 weeks ago on ebay won portuguese strap with great scales/pattern - prior the shipping the seller decided to give it a quick clean with colorless shoe cream. Came all matte and ruined.

So, use mink oil, beeswax or dedicated reptile skin conditioner like Saphir REPTAN. Spend some cash for one bottle and You will have the required cleaner/conditioner for more than 2 years or more.

Prancuzas, can you recommend me any specific brand other than Reptan? I want to review all my options. I also have ostrich skin straps for my PAMs so I'm hoping for a one-all solution (if any). Thank you.