Sign in to follow this  
tomeeee

automatic movement I.D

tomeeee

got my self a chopard but not sure of the movement type, some pics bellow please can someone I.D it for me.

sorry about the poor quality images, if its not possible to tell due to the pics i will take some better onrs tomorrow.

DSC00038_mini.jpg

DSC00037_mini.jpg

DSC00036_mini.jpg

DSC00035_mini.jpg

DSC00040_mini.jpg

Brightlight

It's a Chinese 21J, don't know which one, you'd really have to remove the movement to identify properly.

tomeeee
It's a Chinese 21J, don't know which one, you'd really have to remove the movement to identify properly.

thanks mate!

tomeeee

the movment seems to keep good time but after a few days of wearing it it seems to sudenly loose 10 mins or so.

i wear it everyday and take it off at night. i have an office job but usually give the watch a good shake now and again, i have also wound it using the crown a few times.

is there a good quality japanese 21j that could be fitted, and how much do they cost?

i have a £30 omega auto that never had these issue's.

Luthier

There's no such a thing - japanese 21j in our replicas. All 21j made in China.

tomeeee
There's no such a thing - japanese 21j in our replicas. All 21j made in China.

is it posible to upgrade to one like a miyota ?

greg_r

The problem with upgrading the movement to something better (such as an ETA or 'clone ETA') is that you will generally need to change the hands as well due to the difference in pinion sizes between the movements. You'll also lose the 'chopard' customisation on the rotor. Honestly, it's just not worth spending that much money on a cheapie like this - it'll cost more than the watch is worth.

Whenever you buy a 21J cheapie, it's the luck of the draw. I've had many 21Js that have been 100% reliable and very accurate timekeepers, but you'll also sometimes get one that acts a little cranky. You may sometimes find that your watch improves with use as the movement settles down a bit, but rather than spend money on this one, next time consider spending a bit more and buying something with a better movement.

tomeeee

I was offered a very similar one with quartz movement do you think this could be better. I dont what to spend $300 on a decent one at the moment

The problem with upgrading the movement to something better (such as an ETA or 'clone ETA') is that you will generally need to change the hands as well due to the difference in pinion sizes between the movements. You'll also lose the 'chopard' customisation on the rotor. Honestly, it's just not worth spending that much money on a cheapie like this - it'll cost more than the watch is worth.

Whenever you buy a 21J cheapie, it's the luck of the draw. I've had many 21Js that have been 100% reliable and very accurate timekeepers, but you'll also sometimes get one that acts a little cranky. You may sometimes find that your watch improves with use as the movement settles down a bit, but rather than spend money on this one, next time consider spending a bit more and buying something with a better movement.

KBH
I was offered a very similar one with quartz movement do you think this could be better. I dont what to spend $300 on a decent one at the moment

If you want quartz, you might as well get a Timex.

With a chrono movement and a very small second hand you can get away with it but with a large watch like the Chopard and the sweep second hand going tic, tic tic, every second, anyone who knows anything about watches will immediately spot it as a cheap fake.

Any of our dealers can get a much higher quality 21j copy of that watch for around $100.

As I recall, I sold this one for around $100 with a $40 strap.

DSCN2359.jpg

DSCN3403.jpg

I hate to say it but your rep is not worth spending money on.

Brightlight

Josh still has a free shipping offer on that watch for $108, definitely not worth trying to repair.

tomeeee
Josh still has a free shipping offer on that watch for $108, definitely not worth trying to repair.

so not all 21j's are the same, i have been looking at the ones josh has it looks very nice.

Is there anyway of knowing you are buying a good 21j or a cr@p one ? i dont want to really gamble $100 to have the same problem.

Brightlight

so not all 21j's are the same, i have been looking at the ones josh has it looks very nice.

Is there anyway of knowing you are buying a good 21j or a cr@p one ? i dont want to really gamble $100 to have the same problem.

Unfortunately every rep purchase is a gamble. A lot of people bought these Chopards when they first came out, don't know about their longevity though. the best bet really, if you intend to wear the watch a lot, is to go for a watch with a clone ETA 28xx movement which can at least be repaired or replaced with Swiss in due course. If you have a lot of watches and don't wear an individual watch very much, a 21J is a reasonable risk. Some of the 21Js can be replaced very cheaply but some can be difficult to obtain.

tomeeee

Unfortunately every rep purchase is a gamble. A lot of people bought these Chopards when they first came out, don't know about their longevity though. the best bet really, if you intend to wear the watch a lot, is to go for a watch with a clone ETA 28xx movement which can at least be repaired or replaced with Swiss in due course. If you have a lot of watches and don't wear an individual watch very much, a 21J is a reasonable risk. Some of the 21Js can be replaced very cheaply but some can be difficult to obtain.

i have been talking to mary and considering the one she has to offer there is a very nice one for about $310 with Asian 7750.

if you dont mind could you point me to a good chopard gt xl rep that i can wear every day ?

KBH

The one like I had shown you above is a pretty high quality Asian 21j movement. Not the regular $20 movement found in most. It also has sapphire crystal with AR for $108 delivered from Josh. That model is as good as it gets unless you move up to the $300+ models and the main difference in those is the use of a more expensive movement which looks more like the genuine.

Plus you'll get a 1 year guarantee from Josh and his service is superb.

http://www.1-pc8838.com/cp10035-gran-touri...ted-p-2367.html