Sign in to follow this  
JoeyB

Drilling Out Lug Holes

JoeyB

I've opened up the lug holes on a few cases now, and it's really not very difficult at all. I use a bench-top drill press, a mill vise, and cobalt tipped bits. The bits are usually $2 - $3 a piece. The holes from the Chinese factories come at 1mm and the gen Rolex is at 1.3mm. Opening the holes and using genuine Rolex spring bars gives vintage watches a more authentic look.

But I did run into a problem drilling out my Rolex GMTII 'retro' 16710. The 6204 submariner and the 6542 GMTs were drilled all the way through at 1mm by the factory, but the 16710 was drilled only partially from the outside. It's just for looks. Inside the lugs they are drilled partially to take the stock style spring bars, but the holes do NOT line up! On one case I had one lug close at about .5mm off, and the others were as much as a full 1mm off.

When you try to drill them using the 1.3mm bit the bit 'slides' off when it gets to the inside hole making the outside hole oval at best, ruined more often. After wiping out a case I decided to get a new one and go to a machine shop and let him do it. He said he could not open the holes for the same reason I couldn't, the inside hole 'takes' the bit.

I wanted those damn holes and spring bars.

So I bought some 1.00mm split point cobalt bits that the catalog said would not 'walk'. I figured that if it did move when it hit the inside hole that I might be able to 'cover' it up when I used the 1.3mm for the final drill. It worked better than expected. The 1.00mm split point didn't move when it got to the inner hole, it went straight through. I only used one bit for all four lugs, too. Then I opened the holes with the 1.3mm and it went straight through. Inside the lugs now has two holes, rather ugly, but it won't be seen. I am thinking about filling the inside with liquid steel, and just drilling that through, but I don't know if it will be necessary. Though it might make mounting the bracelet easier with just one hole for the spring bar. I'll see how that goes.

Anyone else run into this, or have a better solution?

Demsey

Good work.

You might get a better response if you posted this on a watch forum. Jus' sayin'.

So, anyhoo, how about that Ahmadinejad? Did you catch what that junk show had to say at the U.N. this week? The POTUS was pissed!

Mark my words. President Obama is going to go Neocon on that POS like Bush on Saddam.

trailboss99
Good work.

You might get a better response if you posted this on a watch forum. Jus' sayin'.

Smart arse! :beer2:

I was about to suggest the same type of bit Joey.

When you said machine shop I thought 'Ah, that will work, he'll have split points'

I'm very surprised he didn't know how to do that! I'd bypass that shop in future.

The other way this can be done is to snap a normal bit short so you only have a 1/3

of an inch or so sticking out of the drill chuck. That way you get a lot less flex and

the drill should run true. A TwoPoint bit (the short, double ended ones for drilling sheet

metal for riveting etc) may be short enough without breaking depending

on the chuck on your press.

Col.

JoeyB
Good work.

So, anyhoo, how about that Ahmadinejad? Did you catch what that junk show had to say at the U.N. this week? The POTUS was pissed!

Mark my words. President Obama is going to go Neocon on that POS like Bush on Saddam.

I've actually thought about joining one, but been too lazy... :beer2: If I did I know the stalker would catch up, but then where would you be?

President Obama has been well advised about Iran. If he takes that advice you might take your wife on that big anniversary trip to Palestine and Tehran.

It won't be neo-con or Bush-like at all.

JoeyB
Good work.

Smart arse! :lolcina:

I was about to suggest the same type of bit Joey.

When you said machine shop I thought 'Ah, that will work, he'll have split points'

I'm very surprised he didn't know how to do that! I'd bypass that shop in future.

The other way this can be done is to snap a normal bit short so you only have a 1/3

of an inch or so sticking out of the drill chuck. That way you get a lot less flex and

the drill should run true. A TwoPoint bit (the short, double ended ones for drilling sheet

metal for riveting etc) may be short enough without breaking depending

on the chuck on your press.

Col.

Thanks. I did try to shorten up the bit in the chuck, but it still followed to that hole from the other side when it got there. The split point touched 3 of the holes and cut through straight. The 4th was almost right on. Right now all looks good, and this is my fav watch so I want it to be right.

Luthier

Why not to press copper rods 0,05mm bigger than inner holes with slow superglue into the inner holes, i.e. fill holes up, and then drill from outside without any problems?

Holes-1.jpg

JoeyB

I think that would work too. It'd be a lot easier if the factory just drilled the holes straight through. I can't understand why they'd drill 8 holes when they could just drill 4. And after all these years of everyone asking, why they won't just do it right and buy some 1.3mm bits!!

trailboss99

Good thinking Luthier!

Another trick the machine shop (and I for I have used it) should have

come up with. Me gets the idea they just could not be bothered.

Col.

JoeyB

I can understand not wanting to be bothered, but it's the only model I know of that isn't drilled through. Makes no sense to me.

trailboss99

Used to be quite a few like that Joey, crazy huh?

JoeyB

Yes, trying to understand the Oriental mind!

Brightlight

I was wondering if you could fill the holes with silver solder or even braze and then drill. Not sure if the heat required would discolour the case though.

prestigewatchco

Best way maybe stainless steel rod then flat it back flush and polish it I have seen some Panerai CG and the pin is invisible using this method

Demsey
If he takes that advice you might take your wife on that big anniversary trip to Palestine and Tehran.

:lol:

Well, I was just being rhetorical. And facitious. Just firing for effect as a thread crap because your topic hung for too long before any response. Call it a 'ribbing bump'.

My wife and I went to Tel Aviv on our 6th. Israel fulfills all our 'desert people' needs thank you very much :lol:

I wouldn't mind a new trade agreement with Iran tho'. After Sept. 28th this year no more imports of rugs out of Iran. Crap. We need a new Isfahan for our living room too. I think it's ironic, in his comments regarding Ahmadinejad this week, President Obama referenced, distanced them from and alluded the Iranian people want nothing to do with this idiot and that he (Obama) is on their side. So, he and the UN decide to cut them off at the knees by instilling economic sanctions that Ahmadinejad declares are not working or taking any effect at all. So, what? The Iranian people are supposed to do what now? Rise up like the kids of Tiananmen Square? And get run over by tanks like the kids of Tiananmen Square? Or what? Ahmadinejad is going to develop a new conscience for his people and tear down his Nuke program?

Get real. That fucker needs to die. Soon. Call in 18A and get'er done. Or do it from the air. Or on the streets of New York the next time the Holocaust denier besmirches our country by showing up for an 'ahem' diplomatic meeting of 'ahem' UN nations. Or leave him and Secretary of State Clinton alone in a room for a half hour. Like yesterday. We would like to go back to Tel Aviv for our 20th. Without our travel size Geiger counters.<<<<<<< That was all firing for effect too and ergo rhetorical. No need to respond. :D

Anyhoo, you've got some good responses here (about your watches). I was going to add; those split bits are the bomb. I use them in my hobby. Drilling out piston rods and crank shafts in hardened steel for oversizing C.U. and lightening model engines from factory spec.

My input would be to agree with Col regarding shortening the bit up into the chuck of the press for rigidity, and you can't get anywhere with out a GOOD pilot mark from a spring loaded carboloy tipped 'set' if you don't have a pilot hole already. Also for hard metals ' good pressure and low rpm' from the press is a must. Most presses give you the option to pony the drive belt in the head of the machine to different pully's for different ratios to alter revs. SLOW AND STEADY wins the race with hard materials. As well as a good quality cutting oil.

Good luck!

DR-1e.jpg

MustangV-1.jpg

JoeyB
I was wondering if you could fill the holes with silver solder or even braze and then drill. Not sure if the heat required would discolour the case though.

Best way maybe stainless steel rod then flat it back flush and polish it I have seen some Panerai CG and the pin is invisible using this method

I took the destroyed case to a friend who is a welder and he tried to just fill the messed up holes with stainless steel weld. The first lug disappeared, had it a bit too hot. Then the next 3 he filled OK, and re-shaping would need to be done to salvage it. That is now the 'experimental' piece.

What would be nice is to head it all off before it's ruined, but the inside spring bar holes are less than 1mm in diameter and probably about that deep. Not a lot to work with, but enough to move the bit drilling from the other side. This stuff is so tiny. Robert, you got any clocks?

JoeyB
If he takes that advice you might take your wife on that big anniversary trip to Palestine and Tehran.

:lol:

Well, I was just being rhetorical. And facitious. Just firing for effect as a thread crap because your topic hung for too long before any response. Call it a 'ribbing bump'.

My wife and I went to Tel Aviv on our 6th. Israel fulfills all our 'desert people' needs thank you very much :lol:

I wouldn't mind a new trade agreement with Iran tho'. After Sept. 28th this year no more imports of rugs out of Iran. Crap. We need a new Isfahan for our living room too. I think it's ironic, in his comments regarding Ahmadinejad this week, President Obama referenced, distanced them from and alluded the Iranian people want nothing to do with this idiot and that he (Obama) is on their side. So, he and the UN decide to cut them off at the knees by instilling economic sanctions that Ahmadinejad declares are not working or taking any effect at all. So, what? The Iranian people are supposed to do what now? Rise up like the kids of Tiananmen Square? And get run over by tanks like the kids of Tiananmen Square? Or what? Ahmadinejad is going to develop a new conscience for his people and tear down his Nuke program?

Get real. That fucker needs to die. Soon. Call in 18A and get'er done. Or do it from the air. Or on the streets of New York the next time the Holocaust denier besmirches our country by showing up for an 'ahem' diplomatic meeting of 'ahem' UN nations. Or leave him and Secretary of State Clinton alone in a room for a half hour. Like yesterday. We would like to go back to Tel Aviv for our 20th. Without our travel size Geiger counters.<<<<<<< That was all firing for effect too and ergo rhetorical. No need to respond. :D

Anyhoo, you've got some good responses here (about your watches). I was going to add; those split bits are the bomb. I use them in my hobby. Drilling out piston rods and crank shafts in hardened steel for oversizing C.U. and lightening model engines from factory spec.

My input would be to agree with Col regarding shortening the bit up into the chuck of the press for rigidity, and you can't get anywhere with out a GOOD pilot mark from a spring loaded carboloy tipped 'set' if you don't have a pilot hole already. Also for hard metals ' good pressure and low rpm' from the press is a must. Most presses give you the option to pony the drive belt in the head of the machine to different pully's for different ratios to alter revs. SLOW AND STEADY wins the race with hard materials. As well as a good quality cutting oil.

Good luck!

DR-1e.jpg

MustangV-1.jpg

I have a special love for Tel Aviv. That's where I first met my wife.

Obama is doing it perfectly right. It's not our job to change other people's governments, it's their job. But we can offer support. Just like we did in 1776, and the help we received. Besides, my 18s are a bit busy at the moment.

Yep, done that. The drill press is belted as slow as it goes, plenty of oil, and I did shorten the bit up but the standard point still traveled. That split point tracked perfectly. I have another case with no holes that I will try in the future. I have a spring loaded pilot tool, so we'll see how that goes.

Are the Focke-Wulf and the Mustang yours, good buddy, friend, pal, amigo??

Brightlight
Are the Focke-Wulf and the Mustang yours, good buddy, friend, pal, amigo??

Focke-Wulf? Don't be a silly Fokker!!

KBH

Joey, Did you see this one that I did. The best thing about it is the regular rep bracelet still fits perfectly: Faux Rolex Springbars

I was wondering how the bracelet end links will still fit properly when you are actually moving the holes that they sat in?

And Demsey: Love those planes! It would be real painful to see one of them crash.

JoeyB
Joey, Did you see this one that I did. The best thing about it is the regular rep bracelet still fits perfectly: Faux Rolex Springbars

I was wondering how the bracelet end links will still fit properly when you are actually moving the holes that they sat in?

And Demsey: Love those planes! It would be real painful to see one of them crash.

Yep, I saw that when you posted it. On this one I wanted the gen spring bars, and once the first hole didn't work it became a challenge!

Actually I learned how to adjust the end link when I built the 6542. The Jubilee wasn't made for it but a little sanding and it gets there.